Def Tech Studio Monitor 450

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
About a year ago, after suggestions from this site, I auditioned 3 different Magnepans - the 1.6, 12 and the wall mounts(can't remember the designation). I instantly fell in love with their sound, any of them. They had the detail I was looking for in my favourite music, large orchestral/choral pieces such as Orff's Carmina Burana and Bach's Mass in B Minor. Disappointedly, after much research, I believe my 9x11 listening/office/extra bedroom just won't handle the Maggies.

Because of the small space and cluttered nature of the room, any speakers are going to have to be on the wall. I've made wall shelves that get them about 6"'s from the wall. I tend to like standmounts anyway with my favourites being B&W 600 series, PSB Image series Monitor Audio Bronze and, my overall favourite, Focal JM-labs Chorus 807V. The problem with all of them is when I put on the big orch/choral music, I lose the detail that I like.

In the past I've driven these speakers with a series of NAD integrateds and a Yamaha RX-596 stereo receiver and, presently, an Onkyo RX-8522 stereo receiver at 100 wpc.

Recently I've been reading about Def Tech's Studio Monitor 450. According to what I've read, they may fit my needs very well. I'm looking for a bookshelf that can give me the detail I'm looking for in the big music. Booming bass is no concern, but I do like nice tight bass as low as possible.

Although the little lady and I watch an occasional movie, we are not connected to any type of broadcast tv and won't be in the future. My system will be set for 100% music.

The Def Techs interest me because of their claimed full range and detail. I'm, basically, looking for a Maggie that will work in my room. Any opinions on this would be appreciated and any suggestions for speakers I may have overlooked also.

Thanks for putting up with the long post.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
J

John Bailey

Audioholic
I don't mean to recommend something else when your asking about the Def Techs. But reading the music you like I feel these would be excellent. They are really worth your time to go listen. Best if you can audition in your house, because most music stores don't have the best set-ups. At your local Guitar Center or Sam Ash.
Thanks mazersteven. Don't mind the other suggestions, that's what I want. I've learned that there are a lot of speakers out there I haven't heard.

The Mackie's look impressive. I don't know anything about powered, or active, monitors. How do they hook up to the system? Can you control them through the receiver?

John

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The Mackie's look impressive. I don't know anything about powered, or active, monitors. How do they hook up to the system? Can you control them through the receiver?

John
Just as I thought.

You run connections from your AVR's pre-outs. Just like if you where using external amps.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
The Def Techs that I own (BP8B and 10B) have a lot going for them, including exceptionally extended and powerful bass, but it is not the cleanest/tightest bass around. In fact, it is a tad muddy. Don't know how the 450s compare in that regard.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've had my SM450s for 4 months now. Because they are traditional direct-front radiating speakers, you don't have to worry as much about muddy bass due to speaker placement and room acoustics.

According to The Audio Critic, they will go down cleanly to 40 Hz. The DefTech website states an overall FR of 24 Hz - 30 kHz, but the 24 Hz is around - 30dB, not the traditional +/-3dB, 6dB, or 10dB. They are 47 Hz - 20 kHz +/-3dB and around 40 Hz - 20 kHz +/-10dB.

TAC actually compared the SM450s to the larger B&W 801 Matrix speaker system! Overall, the SM450s and B&W 801 Matrix system were very close in terms of the high frequency, midrange, upper bass, soundstage, and imaging. This is a huge compliment! However, the much larger B&W will blow away the SM450s in terms of lower bass, so you will need a subwoofer if you want that 20 Hz-40 Hz lower bass.

I'm actually selling my SM450s because I'm going back to 5.1, instead of 7.1. My surrounds will be the BP10Bs (20Hz-20kHz +/-5dB).:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
why no more 7.1? You have the amps, and preamps, why not just keep it?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
why no more 7.1? You have the amps, and preamps, why not just keep it?
Come on, think about it. With the SM450s out of the way, I will later have the excuse of buying another pair of BP10Bs.:D

Yeah, now you see?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Come on, think about it. With the SM450s out of the way, I will later have the excuse of buying another pair of BP10Bs.:D

Yeah, now you see?
True, but I already suggested another pair of BP10 for surround back, but you said you wanted to keep it like the Trinity churty, having both the studio monitors, and the BP10... but I would want another set of BP10 as well. I guess that will have to do until you can get BP7000SCs all around.

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
Just as I thought.

You run connections from your AVR's pre-outs. Just like if you where using external amps.
Now I'm really intrigued by the Mackie's. I live in the boonies in Northern Michigan and I'm about 250 mi. away from the nearest Guitar Center. Never heard of Sam Ash, no telling how far away from them. Anyway, I just bought a Onkyo RX-8522 stereo amp. Just checked and there isn't a pre-out. However, it's going to take me awhile to get downstate anyway to hear some Mackie's. Just might have to look for another amp if I like them. Is there any other place you think I might hear them?

John

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
Try a local music store that sells guitars, drum, mixing equipment.

Find a dealer near you.

http://www.mackie.com/buy/
Ahead of you on that one mazerteven. I've found 3 in my area. Two of them I've not been able to get hold of as they are "no showroom" type business and hard to track down. However, the other is the large state-wide school instrument business. Being an ex-music teacher and high school principal, I've got contacts there.

John

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Ahead of you on that one mazerteven. I've found 3 in my area. Two of them I've not been able to get hold of as they are "no showroom" type business and hard to track down. However, the other is the large state-wide school instrument business. Being an ex-music teacher and high school principal, I've got contacts there.

John
Awesome :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
True, but I already suggested another pair of BP10 for surround back, but you said you wanted to keep it like the Trinity churty, having both the studio monitors, and the BP10... but I would want another set of BP10 as well. I guess that will have to do until you can get BP7000SCs all around.
One of these days....:D

Let's see...In 10 years my HT piggy bank should be $30K, unless I keep on buying new gears every 3 months.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis