Denon Link III...What will it offer me?

A

arftech

Junior Audioholic
Hi all,

I currently have a denon 3910 (DVD/CD player) that has been recently upgraded to use Denon Link III. Excellent machine!

The plan is to replace my present reciever (old) and either go the seperates route (Outlaw 990 and 7125 respectively) and I know the 990 does not offer the HDMI spec. Or I just might go with the new Denon 3808ci. If I choose to go that route (3808ci) what will Denon Link III offer me as it relates to the 3910?

I already know Outlaw does not support Denon Link III.

By the way, I have not seen any reviews for the 3808ci as of yet. Any ideas as to how it sounds? That's critical for me.

All the best,

Al

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Denon Link

The Denon Link is pretty much obsolete. It think a couple of the new denon models still include it. New DVD players and receivers can use the HDMI 1.2a or 1.3 connection for LPCM from a SACD or DVD-A source. Check if your DVD player will transmitt this info over HDMI (i.e. HDMI 1.2a output).

Also, your high end denon DVD player has quality D/A converters and good bass management so using the analog connections with a non-denon receiver or pre-pro is a reasonable option.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The Denon Link III is a digital connection proprietary to Denon, which offers SACD and DVD-A transport which cannot be transmitted over Optical or Coax digital connections.

In addition to the excellent video processing, the beauty of the 3910 is in its analog audio processing. The Burr Brown DACs in the 3910 will be superior to all but the most high end pre/pros and receivers. It also offers excellent processing for distance correction, level matching and bass management but now this feature is offered in most pre/pros and recieivers mid level and up, making it somewhat dated.

When you send digital signal from the 3910 (over Optical, Coax or Denon Link) you will essentially bypass the player's superior audio processing capabilities and be limited to the quality that your pre/pro or receiver can achieve.

EDIT: JcP beat me to the response and he bring up a very good point about digital audio over HDMI. The 3910 can send LPCM over HDMI but it needs to be enabled/ configured in the Audio Setup menu.

Last edited:
S

selfar

Enthusiast
I have the 3910 and the 3805 combo. I believe that the sound of the SACD and the DVD Audio through the analog connection is better than through the DLink. I did not try it through the HDMI.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have the 3910 and the 3805 combo. I believe that the sound of the SACD and the DVD Audio through the analog connection is better than through the DLink. I did not try it through the HDMI.
HDMI and Denon link should render the same results as the same DACs will be used in the receiver no matter the connection.:)

K

kgturner

Audioholic Intern
denon link 3 is a digital connection between a denon dvd and receiver. it's a proprietary connection so no other manufacturers support it. the touted benefit is that it can pass pure dsd from sacd without having to "corrupt" the dsd signal by converting it to pcm. hdmi will convert the dsd signal to pcm so the denon link connection is the only way to get the pure dsd signal in a single cable. of course, you could the analog outputs for dsd, but you'd need three pair of cables for 5.1 multichannel dsd.

now, if sacd isn't important to you or you can even hear the difference, i wouldn't worry about it. i use the DL3 connection between my 5900 and 3806 and it sounds fine to me. i haven't done a "shoot out" between the DL3 or analog outputs as i really don't care all that much. i've got 1 sacd that i listen to regularly.

kevin t

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That makes sense since by running analog signals you do D-A conversion in the 3910 DACs rather than the 3805.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That makes sense since by running analog signals you do D-A conversion in the 3910 DACs rather than the 3805.
I have the same combo and I am completely happy with the DL3. I don't believe any difference in SQ will be significant enough to justify the added cost for multiple pairs of analog interconnects. For two channel music I use the analog cables for the pure direct mode because I can afford one pair of high quality interconnect. The best part of the DL3 is that it is included with the player.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I have the 3910/4306 combination. Over several months, I've compared using analog with DL3, and if my life depended on it, couldn't tell any appreciable difference in audio quality. Of course, I wasn't using $5000 analog interconnects in the waterfall advertisements;), so maybe my poor deluded ears just weren't golden enough.

89 VT HOKIES

Audiophyte
This is one area I have to disagree. The best connection sound wise would be the Denon Link III from your 3910 to your 3808ci. It is straight digital audio from player to receiver without any video interference from HDMI or handshake issues. You will eliminate a D/A step by not using analogue and if I am not mistaken the dacs in the 3808ci are better than the 3910.

Over at avs they have a page/thread that gives all the dacs from receivers to players for both Denon and Onkyo. Pretty interesting read. I will try to find it and post it here unless someone beats me to the punch.

I own the Denon 5805ci and the 2930ci and use the Denon Link III exclusively. At first I utilized the analogue outs of the 2930ci but the bass mgmt. which is bad is no where near the quality of the 5805ci or for that matter the 3808ci.

I have been contemplating switching over to the Onkyo 885 pre/pro or the Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro but the one thing currently holding me back is the Denon Link III for my SACD and DVD Audio collection. DSD vs. PCM basically and one less D/A conversion.

I would be very interested in any comparisons between the 5805ci, the 4308ci, 3808ci and the Onkyo 885 and Integra 9.8. Any opinions out there.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This is one area I have to disagree. The best connection sound wise would be the Denon Link III from your 3910 to your 3808ci. It is straight digital audio from player to receiver without any video interference from HDMI or handshake issues. You will eliminate a D/A step by not using analogue and if I am not mistaken the dacs in the 3808ci are better than the 3910.

Over at avs they have a page/thread that gives all the dacs from receivers to players for both Denon and Onkyo. Pretty interesting read. I will try to find it and post it here unless someone beats me to the punch.

I own the Denon 5805ci and the 2930ci and use the Denon Link III exclusively. At first I utilized the analogue outs of the 2930ci but the bass mgmt. which is bad is no where near the quality of the 5805ci or for that matter the 3808ci.

I have been contemplating switching over to the Onkyo 885 pre/pro or the Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro but the one thing currently holding me back is the Denon Link III for my SACD and DVD Audio collection. DSD vs. PCM basically and one less D/A conversion.

I would be very interested in any comparisons between the 5805ci, the 4308ci, 3808ci and the Onkyo 885 and Integra 9.8. Any opinions out there.
I have just one thing to say to that, pssh!:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis