boboi

boboi

Junior Audioholic
I'm quite new to the world of speakers and am currently in the market looking for some tower speakers to use as my mains in my setup. The JBL Venue Series Stadiums (dual 8" 3 way speaker) got rave reviews on amazon.com- and for the current price- it seems like a steal- $126.99/ speaker. My question is, does anyone know if the speakers truly live up to all the hype? Or can anyone offer reccomendations for nice tower speakers that won't kill my wallet? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated-thanks in advance!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers are often described as above or below average for the price. I would call those JBls exactly average for the price.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with Joe on this one. I got suckered into the JBL Venue line on account of my experience with JBL's Pro-Line audio gear, which is quite good. Apparently the "trickle-down" quality isn't quite what they would like you to believe. It's my own fault, but the best thing you've done so far is come to this forum to ask advice. I didn't do so, before I started my spending spree, then I had to backtrack and ended up wasting time and money that could have been spent on better speakers initially.

Many here will steer you towards the AV123 X-series for the price range you're looking for. I just placed an order for 3 AV123 X-cs'sf for my HT setup, and I hope that it will blow the JBL Venue series out of the water.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I just placed an order for 3 AV123 X-cs'sf for my HT setup, and I hope that it will blow the JBL Venue series out of the water.
You can't be serious. You "hope?" Now we are basing our judgement on audio quality based on "hope?"

If anything, I am 100% positive those JBL's with their dual 8 inch woofers will blow those av123 speakers out of the water, bass for bass, decibel for decibel.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I am 100% positive those JBL's with their dual 8 inch woofers will blow those av123 speakers out of the water, bass for bass, decibel for decibel.
And as far as sound quality and cabinet resonance, they will totally just BLOW.
Those JBL's Blow... period...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If anything, I am 100% positive those JBL's with their dual 8 inch woofers will blow those av123 speakers out of the water, bass for bass, decibel for decibel.
I will take that bet. X-cs over JBL's.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Those X-CS's will stomp on those JBL's in sound quality and punch...

they might not dig as deep... but if you want sloppy bass and crappy mid's go for the JBL's...

orAgon

orAgon

Junior Audioholic
I'm quite new to the world of speakers and am currently in the market looking for some tower speakers to use as my mains in my setup. The JBL Venue Series Stadiums (dual 8" 3 way speaker) got rave reviews on amazon.com- and for the current price- it seems like a steal- $126.99/ speaker. My question is, does anyone know if the speakers truly live up to all the hype? Or can anyone offer reccomendations for nice tower speakers that won't kill my wallet? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated-thanks in advance!
Like you, I'm new to this hobby (and new to this forum). I have these speakers and I can tell you they do live up to the hype. I, too, read all those "rave" reviews, which is what prompted me to audition them in a local supplier's demo room. Yes, I put them side by side with those much more highly-touted and more expensive brands and yes, these units are on par, if not better, at least as far as my ears are concerned.

My advice is to see for yourself and don't rely on someone else's opinion (with all due respect to the naysayers). After all they're your ears and they will know what they like. :cool:

boboi

boboi

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the insightful feedback, everyone. :D In all reality, my budget will not allow for true audiophile-quality speakers- but someday, that all will change. I just want a pair of speakers that can replicate the 'presence' of a concert hall as I listen to a lot of orchestral music, perhaps more than I watch a movie and concert dvd's are my thing. I'm a sucker for the thunder of a bass drum rumble and the lush sounds of a sweeping string section. ANd I'm just really picky about how a pair of speakers sound, as even the slightest nuance in tone color will either make or break my opinion. In the meantime, I shall continue to be in the market place, reading these very helpful forums and gaining insight to the world of audio.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the insightful feedback, everyone. :D In all reality, my budget will not allow for true audiophile-quality speakers- but someday, that all will change. I just want a pair of speakers that can replicate the 'presence' of a concert hall as I listen to a lot of orchestral music, perhaps more than I watch a movie and concert dvd's are my thing. I'm a sucker for the thunder of a bass drum rumble and the lush sounds of a sweeping string section. ANd I'm just really picky about how a pair of speakers sound, as even the slightest nuance in tone color will either make or break my opinion. In the meantime, I shall continue to be in the market place, reading these very helpful forums and gaining insight to the world of audio.
What is your budget?

And what is with this "true audiophile-quality speakers" comment? The two speakers mentioned in this thread cost less then $140 bucks each. I don't understand. :confused:

From your description of what you want and what you listen to. I recommend these if they are within your budget.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

And right now they are $100 off.

Holiday Special 2: $100 off 1 pair of our award-winning CMT-340 SE.*

This is the lowest price we have ever offered on our acclaimed 340 SE and this discount still qualifies for our package price discounting. *Note: Discount valid on 1 pair of 340 SE per customer. Not valid with any other discounts or specials.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=25900#post25900

boboi

boboi

Junior Audioholic
What is your budget?

And what is with this "true audiophile-quality speakers" comment? The two speakers mentioned in this thread cost less then $140 bucks each. I don't understand. :confused:

From your description of what you want and what you listen to. I recommend these if they are within your budget.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

And right now they are $100 off.

Holiday Special 2: $100 off 1 pair of our award-winning CMT-340 SE.*

This is the lowest price we have ever offered on our acclaimed 340 SE and this discount still qualifies for our package price discounting. *Note: Discount valid on 1 pair of 340 SE per customer. Not valid with any other discounts or specials.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=25900#post25900
Thanks Mazer- I should have been more discrete as my comment to "true-audiophile speakers" was in reference to those that cost several thousand dollars per pair- just the really expensive high-end stuff. And yes, the ones posted here on this thread are very reasonablely priced! I will have to look into the CMT-340 SE. Thanks again!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
You can't be serious. You "hope?" Now we are basing our judgement on audio quality based on "hope?"
Yes that's exactly right - I've heard the JBL's (I've had them), and if they were of the quality you speak of, I wouldn't be "hoping" for better with the x-cs's, I would instead be enjoying my speakers, thank you kindly.

Note to the OP - if you do choose to go this route, as someone mentioned before, they don't go as low as the big JBL's in frequency response, but I plan to couple mine with a good subwoofer. And if you want to put a little faith in "hope" as I have, do note that AV123 has an in-home trial period, so if you don't like them, you can send them back.

Right now $139/speaker for the x-cs's, but they are backordered so it might take a while to ship. That's not a bad price for "hope" if you ask me. :)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
"We"? "Us"? How can anyone looking for unbiased opinions take advice from you if you represent a specific manufacturer?:confused:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
"We"? "Us"? How can anyone looking for unbiased opinions take advice from you if you represent a specific manufacturer?:confused:
I copied and pasted from the Ascend Acoustic forum post. I hope your not insinuating that I work for Ascend Acoustics. :confused::mad:

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I copied and pasted from the Ascend Acoustic forum post. I hope your not insinuating that I work for Ascend Acoustics. :confused::mad:
Read the post again. That is certainly what it looks like.
Sorry for my mistake, but you should really use quotation marks.:eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My budget is roughly $1,000- however, I'm big on saving the extra buck, so good deals on speakers are always welcome! :D
Oi!!! Your budget is a $1G and yoru looking at $126 dollar speakers? I honeslty think you would kick yourself in less than 3 months time if you bought those JBLs given the budget you alloted. I know saving money is important but don't cheap out either. I think you would be better off getting a decent pair of speakers and a sub for that kind of money. If you play it right, you may not ever feel the need to upgrade again. I went thru something similar to you having ownded a complete Technics speaker package but I've been teh proud owner of a PSB speaker package and I don't need to upgrade from these again.

Try audtioning some speakers from speciality stores. I own a pair of these

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-T45-Tower

and few posters saw them for around $500 a pair. These will absolutely blow away the JBLs in terms of imaging, soundstage, natural sounding, and accuracy. They will come close to the JBLs bass but it will be much tighter, more musical, and better defined.

They may not be to your liking either so listen to similar priced models from Paradigm, Mirage, Polk, Athena, Infinity, etc.

boboi

boboi

Junior Audioholic
Oi!!! Your budget is a $1G and yoru looking at $126 dollar speakers? I honeslty think you would kick yourself in less than 3 months time if you bought those JBLs given the budget you alloted. I know saving money is important but don't cheap out either. I think you would be better off getting a decent pair of speakers and a sub for that kind of money. If you play it right, you may not ever feel the need to upgrade again. I went thru something similar to you having ownded a complete Technics speaker package but I've been teh proud owner of a PSB speaker package and I don't need to upgrade from these again.

Try audtioning some speakers from speciality stores. I own a pair of these

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-T45-Tower

and few posters saw them for around $500 a pair. These will absolutely blow away the JBLs in terms of imaging, soundstage, natural sounding, and accuracy. They will come close to the JBLs bass but it will be much tighter, more musical, and better defined.

They may not be to your liking either so listen to similar priced models from Paradigm, Mirage, Polk, Athena, Infinity, etc.
Thanks for the input! $500 for a pair of those psb towers is a good deal considering they retail for $799/pair. It just seems as though I'm quite hung over JBL for whatever reason- having owned a pair of E20's (no longer manufactured) for a simple stereo setup for my bedroom, I'm still accustomed to the pleasant midrange they produce. I know that JBL has their own hi-end line of speakers (studio L series), but I have yet to hear them as I have only read of them on the web. Again, being new to the world of speakers and such, brands such as Paradigm and Mirage are a new sight, however, having read enough posts on these forums, I'm catching the inside scoop that these are definitely quality stuff. I'll look into those as well.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
You should buy what you are familiar with, what you are comfortable with. Since you are already familiar with JBL's sound signature, and like it, you should consider sticking with the JBL's. Don't let other people sway you.

I have auditioned JBL bookshelves and big floorstanders side by side. To my ears, I much preferred the big floorstanders. The big floorstanders with the big woofers simply have an uncanny effortlessness when playing any kind of material. You simply can't get that from a smaller speaker using a single much smaller woofer.

And forget about adding a separate sub. To get decent bass that is not sloppy, bloated, you will need to spend close to $800 for a decent sub. It is far better to buy a pair of floorstanders that are capable of putting out decent amount of bass in the first place.

Again, don't let other people on the net sway you towards those internet direct brands. Just dig up those 100+ page threads from the past, read them, and judge them for yourself. It always goes like this. Die hards of those brands will always stuff those brands down your throat. It doesn't matter if you express doubts about those brands. They always bombard you with hyper-inflated glowing reviews on the supposed sonic qualities of those brands. Then some people cave in and buy them. Then a few sane people start to honestly question the supposed sonic superiorities of these internet direct speakers, then hordes of those brands' die hards will come out of nowhere and literally start to crucify those unbelievers: initially with unbelief (something is wrong with the doubters' ears), then with sarcasm, then with outright hostility. What few voices of sanity there are are drowned out in a sea of malice and foul language.

Believe me, I have seen more than my share of those die hards' "advertising" tactics. When companies are willing to engage in these kinds of advertising tactics, I seriously question the integrity and honesty of such companies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis