720p vs 1080p on PS3.

S

svxbart

Audiophyte
hi all.
I recently got PS3.I'm playing it on my 42 hitachi 1080i plasma in my bedroom.
I will buy new plasma for my living room in next feew days.
Will i see PQ difference beetwen 42'1080p and 50'720p when playing PS3?
Maybe shuold i forget about 720p since BR onPS3?
Thanks in advance.
Bart.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, picture quality is about more than just resolution. That said, as for seeing a difference in visible resolution: how far will you be sitting from the screen?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
hi all.
I recently got PS3.I'm playing it on my 42 hitachi 1080i plasma in my bedroom.
I will buy new plasma for my living room in next feew days.
Maybe shuold i forget about 720p since BR onPS3?
Thanks in advance.
Bart.
I have a Panasonic 50" 768p plasma and I have my PS3 set to 1080p. How far will you be sitting from the TV? I currently sit around 10ft away and the PQ of the plasma is better than the 42" 1080p LCD it replaced.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have a Panasonic 50" 768p plasma and I have my PS3 set to 1080p. How far will you be sitting from the TV? I currently sit around 10ft away and the PQ of the plasma is better than the 42" 1080p LCD it replaced.
Why is the resolution of the PS3 set to 1080p when the native resolution of the TV is much less than that? Your TV has to scale down the image and that will likely reduce PQ.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Why is the resolution of the PS3 set to 1080p when the native resolution of the TV is much less than that? Your TV has to scale down the image and that will likely reduce PQ.
Because if I set it to 720p the TV then has to upscale the image to 768p. I checked both resolution outputs and there is a slight better difference in PQ when setting the PS3 to output 1080p.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I set my PS3 to 1080i on my 768p TV. The picture is awesome. I haven't tried to set it to 1080p. I wasn't sure if it would work, since my TV is only supposed to be good for 720p/1080i.

S

svxbart

Audiophyte
thank you all for response.
I will be sitting 8-10 ft from tv.
i was pretty much set on 42'1080p but i can get 50'720p for same amount of money so i was wonder if gaineing 8' will justfie loosing some ---p.
Bart

no. 5

no. 5

I will be sitting 8-10 ft from tv.
It may be worth noting that at that distance range, and those screen sizes, it is unlikely that the human eye could discern much difference between 720p and 1080p.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
It may be worth noting that at that distance range, and those screen sizes, it is unlikely that the human eye could discern much difference between 720p and 1080p.
Please note, this also does not show in which way the OP will be using the PS3.

Example, I was at Audioholics earlier today on the PS3. On the 1080p set, just for quick browsing.
The 720p set, the small text is a little more blurry.
Granted with the browser settings you can change text size, but it is better in the higher resolution.

As well, to the OP, do you plan on hooking up a computer to the TV?
If yes, then 1080p resolution would be better for you.

If you plan on just watching movies and playing games, then no, there will be no real discernable difference.

no. 5

no. 5

Please note, this also does not show in which way the OP will be using the PS3.

Example, I was at Audioholics earlier today on the PS3. On the 1080p set, just for quick browsing.
The 720p set, the small text is a little more blurry.
Granted with the browser settings you can change text size, but it is better in the higher resolution.
Please explain; is the information I used in regard to the visible limits of resolution invalid for text, or is it simply that the text is not "drawn" as clearly with a lower resolution?

S

svxbart

Audiophyte
Thank You All for help.
This morning i went to BB and was lucky to compare 2 50"sets from panasonic one 720p and one 1080p conected to BR in installed in 2 separate viewing areas.it was 9am and no one bothered me so i got to play witch it a little.
In my opinion diference is very noticeble.
I'm set on 1080p but need to work on my budget to get 50" not 42".
Once again thanx.
Bart.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thank You All for help.
This morning i went to BB and was lucky to compare 2 50"sets from panasonic one 720p and one 1080p conected to BR in installed in 2 separate viewing areas.it was 9am and no one bothered me so i got to play witch it a little.
In my opinion diference is very noticeble.
I'm set on 1080p but need to work on my budget to get 50" not 42".
Once again thanx.
Bart.
I'm glad to here there is a substantial difference between 720p and 1080p since I'm in the process of saving up for a 73" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP... I would hate to think I'm spending all that money just for a bigger screen, and not get any extra worthwhile resolution out of it.

no. 5

no. 5

I would hate to think I'm spending all that money just for a bigger screen, and not get any extra worthwhile resolution out of it.
Oh, you'll get your moneys worth out of it. :)

The point I was trying to make earlier is that the amount of detail the eye can discern is a relationship between screen size to sitting distance, so with the OP as example, a visible difference can be seen between a 50" 720p and a 50" 1080p HDTV at 8 - 10 feet, but if it were two 42" displays, seeing a difference would be unlikely.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I sit about 7' from a 42" 720P Panasonic. I can easily see the grid structure which would not be seen with a 1080P unit at this distance. I have nothing special in terms of vision, just normal healthy eyesight: 20/20.

-Chris

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I sit about 7' from a 42" 720P Panasonic. I can easily see the grid structure which would not be seen with a 1080P unit at this distance. I have nothing special in terms of vision, just normal healthy eyesight: 20/20.

-Chris
Yes, at 7ft and 42" you are in-between the 720 and 1080p resolution lines on the chart so you would see that 720.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan

-Chris
Do you see this even when you're playing a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disc? I sit about 8' from my 720p set and I see none of that while playing a Blu-Ray on the PS3.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Do you see this even when you're playing a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disc? I sit about 8' from my 720p set and I see none of that while playing a Blu-Ray on the PS3.
I can see the structure regardless of source, the only time it's not visible is in very dark(near black) scenes. I can see a sort of line between each pixel, and it looks like a screen type effect. It's the space between the pixels. It is subtle at 7-8', but still noticeable to me. On a 1080P Panasonic plasma at the same distance, I don't see this grid/screen structure. I guess the pitch is smaller on the 1080P 42", as compared to the 720P variant.

-Chris

H

Halvie

Junior Audioholic
not sure if it has already been posted, but there are several threads on AVS about the differences between 720 and 1080. For a TV your size I believe you are supposed to sit around 5 feet away to see a difference. That is pretty close and for the record I can't really tell a difference on my 40" Sammy 4071f from that difference. I doubt I could pick 1080 from a blind test.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis