Intercooler for PS3?

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I do know the PS3 is not known for overheating, but I was curious as to the Intercooler's noise.

Is the Intercooler really that loud?
Not so much on the high setting, but turned down to the lowest.
Can anyone run a SPL reading for me, on the lowest setting, at say 3 feet?
LOL, while you are at it, :eek: might as well try the high setting.:)

Thanks.

P.S. if your SPL meter can not pick it up at 3 feet, let me know at what distance you have tested....:cool:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You of all people should know about the intercooler problems linked with the 360.. why bother?

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mine has been in heavy use lately with no issues to report so far. As long as you give it adequate ventilation, no additional cooling should be needed. Would it help? Probably. Is it worth it? Probably not. Most of the reviews of cooling systems for the PS3 said they are not worth the added noise.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Brian, nah, I have never really considered the Xbox for purchase. So I have only done minimal research on it.
I knew the major heat issues with the Xbox, and that the die process was updated.
But never really checked the Intercooler for the Xbox.

J, yeah, all that I already knew. Per; no to little heat issues (other than the 60Gb version, with tad higher heat issues).
But clearly better cooling could not hurt.
I was just wondering the exact sound, trade-off.
If it is say under ~50db at 3 feet, that would be totally acceptable for me.
Because at 10 feet, I would not hear that at all with current setup.
60db, at 3' would not be acceptable.

But remember, I am talking about low speed on the (5) fans.;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have had no heat issues with my PS3 and the PS3 is extraordinarily quiet in comparison to the 360. I believe my DVR makes more noise than the PS3.:D

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
and the PS3 is extraordinarily quiet in comparison to the 360.
Yeah, I will agree the PS3 on its own is pretty darn quiet.

So I am guessing nobody has the Intercooler?:eek:

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
So I am guessing nobody has the Intercooler?:eek:
The reality of the situation is that the PS3's cooling system is very efficient and if placed in the proper space will not need any supplement. It just does the job on its own. I have even seen IR images of the ps3 compared to the other systems and the only heat registered was on the fan location and the power supply location - thats it.

If you are dead set on getting an intercooler only by the Pelican brand one as the Nyko is a POS.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The reality of the situation is that the PS3's cooling system is very efficient and if placed in the proper space will not need any supplement. It just does the job on its own. I have even seen IR images of the ps3 compared to the other systems and the only heat registered was on the fan location and the power supply location - thats it.

If you are dead set on getting an intercooler only by the Pelican brand one as the Nyko is a POS.
Interesting. The Nyko one has a fan system for the back, where most of the heat, if not all of it comes out in the first place. The Pelican brand doesn't have any part that ventillates the rear. Maybe just putting something on the back of the PS3, regardless of what it is, is not a good idea. And maybe the Pelican one does nothing so people assume that it is working.;)

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Although I have seen that review, it is funny that you link to it, they score it 8.3 out of 10, and you call it a POS.

Is it a POS from your point of view, or from personal experience?

I would much rather have one that has control for the fans, specifically from a loudness standpoint.

Honestly, I have heard the exact opposite of what you say.
That the Pelican is the one that is a POS, as it does not work as good as the Nyko.

Granted, I have not owned either, so I will leave my personal comments on a item I have never had, out of the thread.
Specially since, the only question asked was, 'how loud is it'.

Also, the fact (that I have already noted at first post), that it does not overheat was also not my concern.
The fact that it offers better cooling than stock, is clear.
I can't imagine it hampers any heat problem, as it adds 5 fans (all blowing out).

So anyhow, back to subject.
Does anyone have this to test, or just third party info.?

Much appreciated for anyone that can answer the original question.;):)

Thanks
Brian.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It makes more sense that the Pelican one is a POS because the heat comes out of the rear of the PS3, and the Pelican does not address that. I could not feel any heat coming out of the side of the PS3, so I don't understand what point there is to install a fan on the side only, when it seems to me that would do nothing unless that is the intake for the internal cooling system.

I just checked the side of the PS3 and there doesn’t seem to be an intake there.

Last edited:
G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I had heard that the first batch of Nyko's, were not made well.
And that they would 'screach' after ~2 months of use.
However, the problem (from my understanding) was investigated, and remedied. Although, not having one, I can not confirm this.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
It makes more sense that the Pelican one is a POS because the heat comes out of the rear of the PS3, and the Pelican does not address that. I could not feel any heat coming out of the side of the PS3, so I don't understand what point there is to install a fan on the side only, when it seems to me that would do nothing unless that is the intake for the internal cooling system.

I just checked the side of the PS3 and there doesn’t seem to be an intake there.
The majority of the air is filtered out of the PS3 via its cooling system on the right side (if facing the disc slot). The other source of heat is the power supply which is on the back left of the unit and not near anything of importance if you look at a tear down.

I had heard that the first batch of Nyko's, were not made well.
And that they would 'screach' after ~2 months of use.
However, the problem (from my understanding) was investigated, and remedied. Although, not having one, I can not confirm this.
I have experienced both the Pelican and Nyko and not only did the Nyko run extremely loudly after a while it was not heat sensitive as the Pelican is. Both units are noisy but the Pelican is only on when the PS3 reaches a certain temperature.

As it seems you want something that is always on to cool the system more if the Nyko problem has been fixed it would probably be ideal for your situation. I still fail to see any real added benefit of having this extra airflow as the stock PS3 cooling system is more than sufficient.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The majority of the air is filtered out of the PS3 via its cooling system on the right side (if facing the disc slot). The other source of heat is the power supply which is on the back left of the unit and not near anything of importance if you look at a tear down.
I don't know about that. I know where the Power supply is, it's up in the top, left, back corner (unless they changed something). And as I mentioned already I have felt no heat or air movement from the right side period. Unless your PS3 is different from the 40GB model then you shouldn't have hot air coming from the right side.:confused:

As it seems you want something that is always on to cool the system more if the Nyko problem has been fixed it would probably be ideal for your situation. I still fail to see any real added benefit of having this extra airflow as the stock PS3 cooling system is more than sufficient.
I won't debate that, the cooling systems seem frivolous to me.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I have a 60 gig and all the hot air comes out the right side(when facing the disc slot). I don't know about the Nyko, but I see that the Pelican has it's own power supply whereas the Xbox360 intercooler piggy backed off of a port on the back of the unit. If I had to choose, I'd choose the one that requires no electrical connection to the console.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have a 60 gig and all the hot air comes out the right side(when facing the disc slot). I don't know about the Nyko, but I see that the Pelican has it's own power supply whereas the Xbox360 intercooler piggy backed off of a port on the back of the unit. If I had to choose, I'd choose the one that requires no electrical connection to the console.
They must have different internal workings.:confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the piggy back ones are no good.

All the hot air comes out the right side on my 60G as well.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, the piggy back ones are no good.

All the hot air comes out the right side on my 60G as well.
I wonder what they changed, it seemed like the original design was pretty well thought out. The 40 gig is definitely different other than the hard drive size and lack of PS2 compatibility.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yep; mine comes from the right side as well...

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Why waste your money on this? I have had mine running folding at home 24/7 when I am not playing or watching a movie (folded almost 700 work units) and have never had a problem. I mean I had mine on for around 4 months straight one time, LITERALLY, not a second off.

Last edited:
G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I have experienced both the Pelican and Nyko and not only did the Nyko run extremely loudly after a while it was not heat sensitive as the Pelican is.

I still fail to see any real added benefit of having this extra airflow as the stock PS3 cooling system is more than sufficient.
You have had both units, but you fail to see why someone would get one?
Or rather, you went to a friends, that has one, and told him the same thing?

Serious, I am curious.

Sadly, no one still can answer my question.

Why waste your money on this? I have had mine running folding at home 24/7
WOW, just wondering if you fellows know my situation enough to say I am wasting my money?
Like where unit is, possible in a closet for AV gear...?

But actually it is in the garage, on any typical day it is 100+f in there, until a small AC unit is turned on and or a fan.
Running 24/7 would never be an option, considering the low airflow in that room.

Granted, I have brought it into the HT room, and hooked to projector. (but that is not where it lives)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis