RBH Sound TK-5C Bookshelf Speaker System Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The RBH Sound TK-5Cs proved to be a top notch performer in the $400/pair bookshelf speaker category. Their ability to sound BIGGER than they looked without faltering at high SPL levels even when not bass managed was most impressive. Make no mistake however that, as most bookshelf speakers, these are not full range and should be mated with a subwoofer to extend the low end frequency response and better balance the entire sonic spectrum. It seems RBH Sound has once again produced a solid offering with their new TK series of loudspeakers, from these little but bold bookshelf speakers to their $850/pair TK-5CT wonder towers that have literally turned the budget tower speaker market upside down. One thing is for certain, RBH Sound is serious about winning your business at any price point you are shopping at.

Discuss "RBH Sound TK-5C Bookshelf Speaker System Review " here. Read the article.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
First Off - I believe these retail @ $500/pair (review says $400/pair). Things could have changed since my last price sheet (fall 2007), but I'm fiarly sure that's what these retail for.

I had the chance to demo the TK-5C in my home (not had the chance to use them on a project yet - mostly because our projects start above these $ wise) and they sound very good. Excellent, really when you factor in price/value. I had them hooked up in an office to a Parasound ZAMP with a Sonos ZP/80 for the source and they rocked. I A/B'd them with a pair of RBH 41-SE Signature Series book shelves I had sitting around in the garage. It was obvious that the 41-SE was in a different class but, @ their price point, the TK-5C had a great sound on its own and would make a fine starting point for a [better than entry level] HT or music system. For rear channels or distributed audio the TK-615 in ceiling speaker is really nice for the $. I use these in my own kitchen and @ $350 per pair I think they're a steal (but I would still like to see a 1" tweeter instead of the 3/4"). Point being: you can put together a nice HT using voice matched TK for all 5/7 channels.

At it's price point I don't think anyone can rightfully have a lot of complaining to do about the RBH TK line of speakers.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Not to be nit picky but…

“to torment my bigger brother while she was napping.”

I’m guessing you mean “to torment my bigger brother while he was napping.”

Considering you did the review for both the TK and the MC bookshelf speakers how would you compare the two? I understand they are in two different price classes and you “get what you pay for”.

I am upgrading from an RBH CT system, with a HSU sub, and am debating which Bookshelfs and center channel I should get. I’m leaning towards the MC because I like sealed speakers and don’t want to have buyers regret but not sure if it is worth the price jump.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Not to be nit picky but…

“to torment my bigger brother while she was napping.”

I’m guessing you mean “to torment my bigger brother while he was napping.”
Good catch thanks.

Considering you did the review for both the TK and the MC bookshelf speakers how would you compare the two? I understand they are in two different price classes and you “get what you pay for”.
The MC-6C is in a different league and I highly recommend that route if you have the extra cash.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
First Off - I believe these retail @ $500/pair (review says $400/pair). Things could have changed since my last price sheet (fall 2007), but I'm fiarly sure that's what these retail for.
Thanks for checking that. I just phoned RBH and they verified they are $499/pair. Sorry for the confusion.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Thanks for checking that. I just phoned RBH and they verified they are $499/pair. Sorry for the confusion.
Was that a typo in the review or just a mistake in pricing? I'm curious to know if that would effect the ratings considering that the costs were off by 25% ....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Was that a typo in the review or just a mistake in pricing? I'm curious to know if that would effect the ratings considering that the costs were off by 25% ....
It was an error on RBH's part as I was originally told they were $400/pair. I was on the fence about giving them a 4.25 for value but since we only rate in 1/2 point scales now, I rounded down to 4 stars. The price adder would drop them to 3.75 but in that case I round up to 4 so it stays around the same.

While I believe you can find speakers at $500/pair that blow these away in aesthetics, I am still confident they perform up to par with some of the best speakers in their price class.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I have a hard time reconciling a 4.5 performance rating with the individual scores which never exceed 4....

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
This comment in the "cons" puzzles me:

A bit of lower midrange coloration present depending on source material
Depending on source material? It either colorizes the signal or it doesn't.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I have a hard time reconciling a 4.5 performance rating with the individual scores which never exceed 4....
Something with no weaknesses is darn good to have.

The overall scores aren't mathematically derived, they're subjective, but even if mathematically derived it wouldn't have to work by simple averaging. If you did something like percentile rank within a price range for all the sub-scores, then converted to a star score, 4.5 is probably about dead on (90th percentile).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis