PS3 and Profile 1.1

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
DTS-HD-MA (whatever its called) decoding as well.
Now this is what gets me every time. (not specificaly pointing you out avaserfi).

People want/complain about something they do not know, just because well, 'I want it.'
When they are looking for lossless audio, yet they already have it with TrueHD.
(problem is Sony, or rather BD, does not want to conform with the Dolby standards, clearly more people with BD complain about this)

This looks like it is going to be EXACTLY like the oh DD or DTS is better.
Yet it really only matters with the specific mix. I have heard ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE DTS tracks, where Dolby mix just blew it away (no contest, even a person claiming DTS superiority, higher bitrate, etc.. would have to agree).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Now this is what gets me every time. (not specificaly pointing you out avaserfi).

People want/complain about something they do not know, just because well, 'I want it.'
(problem is Sony, or rather BD, does not want to conform with the Dolby standards, clearly more people with BD complain about this)

Yet it really only matters with the specific mix. I have heard ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE DTS tracks, where Dolby mix just blew it away (no contest, even a person claiming DTS superiority, higher bitrate, etc.. would have to agree).

I just couldn't remember the stupid string in the acronym because DTS has so many. I know exactly what it is and you should realize that there are some discs that only have the DTS lossless codec on them and no other. So the only way to get a lossless soundtrack is via having a DTS encoder. All my point was is that it will be nice to have access to all lossless tracks so I am not missing out in the cases where they are currently unaccessible.

Another interesting point is that both Dolby and DTS have accepted that lossless tracks are just that and there will be no audible differences between their tracks right now they are competing in a different realm as Dolby's codec is easier for players to decode (less processing power needed) and DTS can be scaled down to its core component for those without HDMI.

While I understand your complaint please post it in the proper places and don't jack this thread (Steam Vent). Now back to the original discussion of Profile 1.1 and the PS3.

Last edited:
G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai

You are missing the whole point of this. It is not about which decoding is better (DTS-HD/MA or TrueHD), it is about having both formats on your player so that when you buy a BD or HD DVD with either TrueHD or DTS-HD you can hear the better audio. Instead of accusing people of complaining, how about you accuse the studio of picking one sound format over the other. Look at Live Free or Die Hard, it only has DTS-HD/MA so very few people can enjoy the superior soundtrack. And no current player right now in either the BD or HD DVD camp has the capability of decoding DTS-HD. And the reason I prefer BD over HD DVD is because at least most BDs give you the uncompressed track so that you don't have to rely on TrueHD or DTS-HD.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I just couldn't remember the stupid string in the acronym because DTS has so many. I know exactly what it is and you should realize that there are some discs that only have the DTS lossless codec on them and no other. So the only way to get a lossless soundtrack is via having a DTS encoder. All my point was is that it will be nice to have access to all lossless tracks so I am not missing out in the cases where they are currently unaccessible.

Another interesting point is that both Dolby and DTS have accepted that lossless tracks are just that and there will be no audible differences between their tracks right now they are competing in a different realm as Dolby's codec is easier for players to decode (less processing power needed) and DTS can be scaled down to its core component for those without HDMI.

While I understand your complaint please post it in the proper places and don't jack this thread (Steam Vent). Now back to the original discussion of Profile 1.1 and the PS3.
This clearly concerns the need for it (on even a PS3) and only shows exactly what I said, 'I want, I want, I want'.
Show me one disc (not BD), that has not conformed to what the people have and can use, and has only DTSHD on a HD DVD.

I really don't care & I have a PS3. I would not say I am hoping for it, because I bought a PS3 very well knowing it can't decode.
But, decoding what should already be able to be decoded, yes by all means I would (have) like(d).

And once again, my post WAS not in complete direction to you, it is more for the 100,000+ people that keep complaing.
What they should be saying is to the movie companies, is put TrueHD on a disc, until DTS becomes standard decoding.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
You are missing the whole point of this. Look at Live Free or Die Hard, it only has DTS-HD/MA so very few people can enjoy the superior soundtrack. And no current player right now in either the BD or HD DVD camp has the capability of decoding DTS-HD.
This is much beyond, what I was getting at.
I was talking much more specific with the PS3 in mind.

But you have not only contradicted yourself, you have also made my point for me.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
This is much beyond, what I was getting at.
I was talking much more specific with the PS3 in mind.

But you have not only contradicted yourself, you have also made my point for me.
How did I contradict myself?

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
With the 2 PMs, avaserfi, I see what you are saying.
That I did not make it more clear, that my intentions were more on the comment you had added, not the specifics of the title of a thread.
And my intentions were mainly based on the PS3 contributors that bought into the DTS HD.

I am all for revisions of the PS3, so yes it would be nice to see features like this added.
Sorry for anything that you fealt specific towards you, it was not.

But I do not feel as though my comments need deleting.
Honestly, if you do feel that strong about it, I have given the exact way to handle this.

But I was hoping that you would not feel that way, since you did have added comments on the subject.
And those comments are what I was, well you get the point.

Sorry.:eek:

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
How did I contradict myself?
It might be a misunderstanding - Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA are equal in sound quality (both sides have said this read my previous post for a further description) - if you were referring to the DTS Core which you receive when DTS-HD-MA is down coded than the lossless format is superior to the Core format.

With the 2 PMs, avaserfi, I see what you are saying.
That I did not make it more clear, that my intentions were more on the comment you had added, not the specifics of the title of a thread.
And my intentions were mainly based on the PS3 contributors that bought into the DTS HD.

I am all for revisions of the PS3, so yes it would be nice to see features like this added.
Sorry for anything that you fealt specific towards you, it was not.

But I do not feel as though my comments need deleting.
Honestly, if you do feel that strong about it, I have given the exact way to handle this.

But I was hoping that you would not feel that way, since you did have added comments on the subject.
And those comments are what I was, well you get the point.

Sorry.:eek:
As I told you in the PM I wasn't offended I am comfortable with my knowledge on the topic. I just didn't want to turn this thread into another BD vs HD DVD thread :). As far as DTS HD goes I could care less except for the fact that some discs were released with only DTS HD MA on it :mad: so to get a lossless format you need to be able to decode it.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I guess, I should have really put this in my first post (not my second or third), and was much more my intentions.

I would not say I am hoping for it, because I bought a PS3 very well knowing it can't decode.
But, decoding what should already be able to be decoded, yes by all means I would (have) like(d).
And was more towards this, on a general viewpoint of what you had said in the first post. of;

I am hoping they add DTS-HD-MA (whatever its called) decoding

It was not meant as a BD vs. HD DVD. Just for a lot of people that bought a PS3 specifically for an undecodable format in the player. (not pointing at you, as one of the PS3 contributors I am speaking of.)

Once again, sorry for the confusion.

Edit;
And to get this back on track.;)

No, I am not all that concerned with 1.1 (once again, I did not buy the player for PiP, secondary audio, etc.. as a RARELY use this even on HD DVD)
And again, am all for revisions of the PS3, so yes it would be nice to see features like this added.
But that is me, good thing my opinion is in the minority.:p

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis