Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 now gold. ETA 12/10

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
At first Epic had said that UT3 for PS3 was being delayed until next year but now it appears that it has gone gold and will be available on 12/10. Apparently it will be exactly as the PC version with keyboard and mouse support, full third party mod support, and map editor as well. No cross platform play (PC-PS3) for now but they said it is still a possibility.

Xbox360 version is still delayed until 2nd quarter of next year and will be crippled with no mod support and keyb and mouse.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
At first Epic had said that UT3 for PS3 was being delayed until next year but now it appears that it has gone gold and will be available on 12/10. Apparently it will be exactly as the PC version with keyboard and mouse support, full third party mod support, and map editor as well. No cross platform play (PC-PS3) for now but they said it is still a possibility.

Xbox360 version is still delayed until 2nd quarter of next year and will be crippled with no mod support and keyb and mouse.

Crippled?

That's pretty standard for consoles.

Who the hell would play UT on a console anyways?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't like allowing the use of keyboard and mouse for console games, they should keep the playing platform leveled and not give any advantage to those who prefer a mouse/kb. If you want to play with a mouse and keyboard, stick to playing on your PC.

C

Casei

Audiophyte
I was planning on getting this title for the ps3 also, and mouse k/b support seals the deal. Myself, I'm sick of upgrading pc hardware, what seems like every 18 months. At this point I'm waiting until 2nd generation dx10.1 cards.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
The various console platforms rule because just as Casei put it: "upgrading the PC platform" to meet a new game every 12-18 months is ludicrous. How many PC's get upgraded so they can surf the web faster?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I am in the same boat as well. I don't feel like spending $1000 to upgrade my pc so that I can play UT3 as well as the PS3. And if I were to upgrade my pc to be able to play on a 50in screen it would cost way more than that.

Mark Rein has explained how mods and maps will work on PS3 as well. All you do is download the new mod or map from your pc, save it to a flash drive, and copy it to your PS3. In online games it works the same as pc as well. If you are playing a game that requires a new mod or map, it just downloads it from the host.

hasslethehoff

hasslethehoff

Audiophyte
Playing on either system sounds like a good option, only thing I like better about being on the computer is being able to talk trash quicker on the keyboard, plus I can have my music in the background, not that I wouldn't be able to with the ps3, but you know

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I don't like allowing the use of keyboard and mouse for console games, they should keep the playing platform leveled and not give any advantage to those who prefer a mouse/kb. If you want to play with a mouse and keyboard, stick to playing on your PC.
Shape up or ship out. The keyboard/mouse combination is the best way to game period. More buttons, better control. You can't play some games on consoles simply because of their controllers. Don't hold yourself back. A keyboard and mouse go for next to nothing these days.

SheepStar

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Well that makes no sense.
Considering a USB mouse and keyboard are cheaper than a new controller (with rebates, I have seen many free keyboards & mice).
And keyboards offers a more versatile way of communicating with the console, specially when using a internet browser.

So I would have to suspect, that better than 80% of the people will try with a keyboard.
Some people play better with a keyboard, others do not (like me).
I am much quicker with a handheld controller with jumping, most movements, changing weapons, etc.. than I am with my wireless keyboard & mouse (other than looking left to right).

Granted, I game very rarely nowadays.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I am in the same boat as well. I don't feel like spending $1000 to upgrade my pc so that I can play UT3
WOW, misinformation galore.
The requirements for the PC to play UT3, are very minimal. A brand new 400.00 system could run it with ease.
Heck if I recall, the requirements only needed something like a 3 year old video card.

What I find ludicrous, is the people that would update a new computer just to play 1 game (the fellows example of a DX10.1 card is clearly a shining example of what I mean).
Nevermind the fact that the game will indeed get better playability with software updates (granted same applies, now, to the consoles).

LOL, they have a total of what in DX10 only games, and you are looking at the not even released DX10.1 cards (due out withing the next month or 2).

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Playing on either system sounds like a good option, only thing I like better about being on the computer is being able to talk trash quicker on the keyboard, plus I can have my music in the background, not that I wouldn't be able to with the ps3, but you know
And the PC version isn't slowed down.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
And the PC version isn't slowed down.
How do you know the PS3 version will be slowed down compared to the PC? Have you played it? For all we know it will be just as fast as very high end PC. Stop spreading FUD on something you absolutely know nothing about. All you do is troll around here trashing console gamers. Let's face it, the console market surpassed the PC gaming market in growth a long time ago whether you like it or not. Consoles have gotten to the point where they are just as good as high end pcs in terms of graphics and online play. The market is shifting yet you are still in a high state of denial.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
How do you know the PS3 version will be slowed down compared to the PC? Have you played it? For all we know it will be just as fast as very high end PC. Stop spreading FUD on something you absolutely know nothing about. All you do is troll around here trashing console gamers. Let's face it, the console market surpassed the PC gaming market in growth a long time ago whether you like it or not. Consoles have gotten to the point where they are just as good as high end pcs in terms of graphics and online play. The market is shifting yet you are still in a high state of denial.
Because Epic stated that the movement speed is slowed down %20.

That's how I know.

You do know that I have a Wii right? The only real next-gen console.

No, console gaming has not surpassed PC gaming.

Thanks for the assumptions though, hopefully theres more to come.

Last edited:
G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
No, console gaming has not surpassed PC gaming..
I have no clue on the 20% slower speed (I have not checked Epic's report).

But I 100% agree on the console NOT surpassing a PC.
As well, it has never and will NEVER surpass a PC (specially on graphics & speed).

Oh it may surpass PC for ease of play, but will never pass a medium (PC) that is constantly evolving.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I have no clue on the 20% slower speed (I have not checked Epic's report).

But I 100% agree on the console NOT surpassing a PC.
As well, it has never and will NEVER surpass a PC (specially on graphics & speed).

Oh it may surpass PC for ease of play, but will never pass a medium (PC) that is constantly evolving.
I am not talking about graphics or speed. I am talking from developer standpoint. Nowadays developers who used to only develop for PC exclusively (Epic, ID, Valve, UbiSoft) are more and more releasing their once PC exclusive titles on consoles as well at the same time. It wasn't long ago when you couldn't be caught playing the high profile PC FPS games on consoles. But now if you take a look at the console counterparts they are not as inferior as they used to be. Take for example the first Tom Clancy games like Rainbow Six that started out exclusively on PC. Now most of them hit consoles first and are a lot more popular on the consoles as well.

Of course there are some genres that have yet to penetrate fully into the console world (RTS, MMO). But as consoles have become increasingly more powerful and are now allowing the use of PC controls in games (keyb, mouse) that will eventually change. Let's face it, in order to game nowadays on a PC with the same graphics as PS3 and Xbox360, you have to spend a lot more than $400. Hell the PS3 and 360 are pretty much computers anyway. I will give it one more generation or two of consoles before they just completely take over from a developer standpoint.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Well that makes no sense.
Considering a USB mouse and keyboard are cheaper than a new controller (with rebates, I have seen many free keyboards & mice).
And keyboards offers a more versatile way of communicating with the console, specially when using a internet browser.

So I would have to suspect, that better than 80% of the people will try with a keyboard.
Some people play better with a keyboard, others do not (like me).
I am much quicker with a handheld controller with jumping, most movements, changing weapons, etc.. than I am with my wireless keyboard & mouse (other than looking left to right).

Granted, I game very rarely nowadays.

That's my point, it's much faster to use a mouse and keyboard, and I for one don't care to have an extra mouse and keyboard sitting around. I prefer the use of a regular controller, and it gives those that use the mouse/kb and unfair advantage over those that don't, it will make it less fun for those that use the controller. That may not actually be the case, but it's how I perceive it to be. To each his/her own, and I say use whatever works best for you. Although if I do end up getting this game, it would be for the 360.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis