ps3 vs. wii vs. 360

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
My own little shootout.

ps3
Hardware
Features: A (20g and 60g models), B (newer 40g and 80g models)
Reliability: A
Peripherals: C

PS3 hardware is fully featured, with an internal hard drive, blu-ray, wireless networking and controllers, memory card slots (select models). Backward compatibility was lost on newer models. Most powerful hardware out there, though the software hasn't shown it to date.

Software
Current Game Library: D
Future Game Outlook: B

The current game library is rather meager, with most multiplatform games playing much better on the 360. Exclusives are limited this year, but more will come next year including God of War, Gran Turismo.

Features: C
Reliability: C

Online is free, which is a plus, but it's nowhere near as fully featured as Xbox Live, though it handily beats Nintendo's offerings.

Wii
Hardware
Features: B
Reliability: A
Peripherals: B

The Wii hardware is small, reliable, and backward compatible with Gamecube. It also features wireless networking and controllers. It's the quietest console of the three. Looks like it was designed by Apple.

Software
Current Game Library: B-

The current software library is mostly minigames, however there are quite a few AAA titles including Zelda, Metroid, and Super Mario Galaxy. The future outlook is also strong, as quite a few developers switched resources to the Wii after it's success at retail, and those games should be hitting shelves shortly.

Features: D-
Reliability: C

If you want to play online, look elsewhere.

Hardware
Features: D
Reliability: F
Peripherals: B+

Very vanilla, no wireless networking, regular DVD drive, very loud, ridiculous power brick and terrible reliability. The only bright spot is the well designed controller. To their credit, the warranty has been extended to 3 years. The problem is, you'll probably need it and two years after the console's launch the problems still aren't fixed.

Software
Current Game Library: A-

Strongest game library of the three by far, with many AAA titles like Halo3, Gears of War, BioShock, Mass Effect. Multiplatform games usually have the best version on the 360 as well. Next year looks great too. Only weak spot is lack of support from Japan.

Features: A
Reliability: A-

Best online experience by far with cross game messaging and chat and best UI. But it's also the only pay service of the three. Some weird echo issues sometimes.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I think what the OP means is that it's not included inside the box whereas even the Wii which is the cheapest console has wifi built-in.
Opps.

For the conspiracy theorists out there.
It seems as one console excels in one or two areas.
With no clear cut winner.
Is that so we buy more than one brand console?:rolleyes:

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Opps.

For the conspiracy theorists out there.
It seems as one console excels in one or two areas.
With no clear cut winner.
Is that so we buy more than one brand console?:rolleyes:
Yeah I usually always get all of them. I even bought a Dreamcast back in the day because it had the best fighting games. Although I have no idea why I bought a Sega Saturn.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I usually always get all of them. I even bought a Dreamcast back in the day because it had the best fighting games. Although I have no idea why I bought a Sega Saturn.
Please tell me you bought a 3DO. I could use the laugh.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Please tell me you bought a 3DO. I could use the laugh.
Ohh wow I totally forgot about the 3DO. I didn't have one but my friend did. All we played was Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on it. I almost bought a Jaguar though.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Ohh wow I totally forgot about the 3DO. I didn't have one but my friend did. All we played was Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on it. I almost bought a Jaguar though.
Hmm.. I don't remember the Jaguar. But I do remember when the Amiga was the shiznit for games.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
As gus mentioned, it's not built in.

The Xbox wireless accessory is kinda limited. I'd rather a "universal" adapter, i'm using the Linksys WGA54g. It'll make any wired ethernet connection wireless, no drivers needed.
Does that support WPA2?

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Does that support WPA2?
Unfortunately, no. I got it back in '04 to use with my PS2 before WEP was "exposed" so to speak. Unless there's an open source firmware floating around, but i haven't seen one yet.

If you're looking for something WPA2, your best bet is to buy something like a WRT54g (pre version 5) and flash it with the Sveasoft firmware. Or the Buffalo WHR-G54S flashed with DD-WRT. Run them in bridged mode and you have an instant wireless connection with WPA2.

Unfortunately, i have some finicky wireless stuff here that would utterly refuse to work with WPA2.

I don't think the Microsoft one supports WPA2 either though.

Last edited:
MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
PS#3 is also now a pretty fair and cheap music server with playlist ability.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
PS#3 is also now a pretty fair and cheap music server with playlist ability.
Yeah I had to turn off the media server because it was causing havoc with online play. But streaming divx files from my pc is great. I already have an airport express for music which is a lot better but the video streaming is great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis