Are you buying Blu-ray or HD DVD this Christmas?

Are you buying a high definition player this xmas? DONT VOTE FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY OWN

• Yes, I am buying Blu-ray (includes a PS3)

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Yes, I am buying an HD-DVD player (or Xbox 360 add-on drive)

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Yes, I am buying a combo unit or both players (one way or another)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Nope. Not buying either this season.

Votes: 73 72.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If they make a combo player that has internal decoding for DTS-HD MA & TrueHD, I might be very tempted to buy one. The delayed Samsung combo player doesn't seem to have internal decoding for DTS-HD MA. So I will just have to wait.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Went with the Ps3

I just bought a PS3, there's no way i can lose, web browser, media library, HD content viewer, game machine. I'll pick up a cheap $ 300 HD-DVD player if they win

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
its way down on my list of future upgrades.
first is a new display, its been hard finding something in 60" plus that compares to my cheap 7 year old 61" rpcrt
next is a receiver
hopefully after these purchases the dust will have settled and I will be able to buy one or the other

P

Panjsheri

Audioholic
hmmmmmm

I just heard from my source at a retailer that Blockbuster USA is not going to be releasing any more rentals in HD DVD and will go exclusively to Blu Ray Disc only and this may be the nail in the coffin for the HD DVD......finally maybe someone can come out on top so I can get my hi def player:)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
I just bought a PS3, there's no way i can lose, web browser, media library, HD content viewer, game machine. I'll pick up a cheap $ 300 HD-DVD player if they win
Don't forget SACD player with DSD to PCM 24/176.4 in 5.1 through HDMI

J

jpvnnvpj

Audiophyte
i think iam going with the new blue ray samsung units that are coming out.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I just heard from my source at a retailer that Blockbuster USA is not going to be releasing any more rentals in HD DVD and will go exclusively to Blu Ray Disc only and this may be the nail in the coffin for the HD DVD......finally maybe someone can come out on top so I can get my hi def player:)
If they had a monopoly on rentals, that would be a valid conclusion. They don't, though.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i vote hd-dvd ... but only because I already have a ps3

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
The Hd-a2 arrived today. The release of Transformers keyed the purchase. I will use the PS#3 for Blu-ray and the new player for HD-dvd. This should tide us over for a few years until high quality combo units become semi-reasonable. I read some nice box sets will be released this Christmas season.

bigbangtheory

Audioholic
I don't know how many times I have to say it: I BELIEVE BOTH FORMATS WILL ULTIMATELY FAIL AS NICHE MARKETS. I'm not sure how that qualifies as pro-HD DVD...
I think if you speak in caps from now on, Clint, then you won't have to clarify your point multiple times.;)

Oh, and I agree with your sentiment, wholeheartedly.

Niche markets aside, we, as audioholics, are often times niche supporters, which unfortunately means that we have to put up with a lot of crap that the joe average consumer - living in the mass market world - avoids (or at least, may be oblivious to?).

Despite our tolerance for fickle market trends, and such, many of us seem to be drawing a line in the sand given what's going on with hd content, but...many of the "many" I just referred to are - in all probability, all things equal, moon and stars alligned - niche supporters.

Just my $.02 *steps off soapbox*

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Once the A3 hits sub $200 like the A2 did when amazon was clearing them out I will get it. I am pretty sure black friday will be the day to get an hd-dvd player for less than $200.

I

ifti

Audiophyte
Not sure which format to invest in - will wait another year and see.

M

minnguy66

Audiophyte
Already bought a PS3 when I bought my Samsung DLP 1080P last year. I may get a combo player this year if a "winner" doesn't emerge soon.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
HD-DVD on Black Friday at Sears for $169. How can you pass that up?

I'm a little disappointed that the bass output is apparently better in the SD DVD version of Transformers compared to that in the HD DVD version - but that will be tested in the next few days.

I've got a Sony BDP S300 Blu ray player. The picture quality is outstanding, and the remote is top notch. The start up time is horrible, but once you load a movie, the second time around, it starts right up. You need to upload a new firmware version to play newer discs, but it's a simple setup.

The best part of this high def format is being able to rent these movies for under $20 a month from Netflix or Blockbuster (3 at a time), which generally means around 10 movies a month. At $2 a pop, you can't go wrong.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I'm a little disappointed that the bass output is apparently better in the SD DVD version of Transformers compared to that in the HD DVD version - but that will be tested in the next few days.
Can not comment on the SD version, but I have absolutely no 'bass' issues, as many other do not, with the HD version.;)

I still have not tried my other copy of it... (will do list)

Anyhow, poll is closed.
But I could not vote anyways.
I have both, and have plans to buy more.
The A3 looks attractive at that price. But darn it, I was holding out for the A35 (with the analog outs, like XA1)

As well, will be picking up another BD player (as soon a a remotely decent sale comes around:mad:)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Already bought a PS3 when I bought my Samsung DLP 1080P last year. I may get a combo player this year if a "winner" doesn't emerge soon.
By not choosing a "winner" from the outset, the industry has made both formats into losers. I am far from alone in being too fed-up with the whole thing to ever care about (much less buy) either format.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I would have to change my answer from not buying either to getting a bluray player, since I have a 40 gig PS3 on preorder.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like I'll be getting the Toshiba A2 tomorrow!!! So now I'll have both!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis