Official: PS3 80GB now $499 and 40GB Spidey bundle Nov 2

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
This thing about the 40GB's not playing SACD's came up again. here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=926313

"So What's the Difference?" The PS3 sku thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the introduction of the new 40gig PS3 sku, more and more people keep asking what the differences are between the different skus (other than price, of course). Instead of starting new threads on the topic a handful of times a day, I thought it might be useful to have a single thread devoted to the issue. We could also update it as inevitable new SKU's get announced (or as corrections are needed, or with non-North American sku's). These are only the basic tech specs, so I've included no pricing information or pack-ins (games, movies, controllers, cables, etc.).

So here are the SKU's past and present:

All sku's include:
-Ethernet input
-Blu-Ray player
-HDMI output
-TOS optical output
-Proprietary component/composite output
-Bluetooth
-Will read: CD-ROM/R/RW, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM/R/RW/+R/+RW, BD-Video, BD-ROM/R/RE
-Supported Media Types (as of firmware update 1.93):
---Video: (?)
---Music: (?)

Specific to NTSC 60gig version (no longer in production):
-60gig HDD
-Wi-Fi
-PS2 Emotion Engine & Graphics Synthesizer chips (over 90% backwards compatability with PS1/PS2 games)
-Memory Card readers (SD, memory stick, compact flash)
-4 USB ports
-Will also read SACD

Specific to NTSC 20gig version (no longer in production):
-20gig HDD
-No wi-fi
-PS2 Emotion Engine & Graphics Synthesizer chips (over 90% backwards compatability with PS2/PS1 games)
-No memory card readers
-4 USB ports
-Will also read SACD

Specific to NTSC 80gig version:
-80gig HDD
-Wi-Fi
-PS2 Graphics Synthesizer Chip (over 80% backwards compatability with PS2/PS1 games)
-4 USB ports
-Will also read SACD

Specific to NTSC 40gig version (to-be-released 11/2/07):
-40gig HDD
-Wi-Fi
-No memory card readers
-No PS2 chips (only backwards compatability with PS1, not PS2)
-2 USB ports
-No SACD capability

Specific to PAL 60gig version:
-60gig HDD
-Wi-Fi
-PS2 Graphics Synthesizer Chip (over 80% backwards compatability with PS2/PS1 games)
-4 USB ports
-Will also read SACD

Specific to PAL 40gig version:
-40gig HDD
-Wi-Fi
-No memory card readers
-No PS2 chips (only backwards compatability with PS1, not PS2)
-2 USB ports
-No SACD capability

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
could SACD and backwards compatibility be added to the 40 gig version via firmware update? I'm not asking if Sony will or will not add the features, but if it's possible to add them at a later date if they are so inclined.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
could SACD and backwards compatibility be added to the 40 gig version via firmware update? I'm not asking if Sony will or will not add the features, but if it's possible to add them at a later date if they are so inclined.
I did some poking around for those interested.

UPDATE: Some of the European blogs have reported that the 40 gig model has lost SACD playback capabilities as well. I did confirm that on Sony's Australian PlayStation site. The blogs theorize that the SACD playback was discontinued due to either a licensing issue with the SACD division of Sony or due to the increased costs of incorporating Pit Stream Protection in the BluRay Drive. This latter reason seems most plausible to me. By removing Pit Stream Protection, you can use a "standard" BluRay drive, and could shave a little bit more from the cost of manufacturing.
Unsurprisingly it might have been removed likely because most people don't even know what an SACD is minus actually wanting them.

http://theidealcopy.blogspot.com/2007/10/40-gig-euro-ps3-released-without-ps2.html
http://www.cbsgames.com/games/story/10398968

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I would think so. Why would you say something sucks if you don't own one? Sure I've heard tons of bad stuff about the Xbox 3fixme, but I don't own one, and my friends like theirs. So why would I say it sucks?
But I've played all the current gen consoles. I have a friend who owns a PS3, one who owns a Wii, and pretty much everyone has a 360.

That's how I base my opinion. From experience.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have a Wii, and a 360 Elite, but I'm mainly getting a PS3 for it's bluray capabilities since there aren't too many PS3 games I'm interested in right now, but that may change when the new Gran Turismo hits stores.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
But I've played all the current gen consoles. I have a friend who owns a PS3, one who owns a Wii, and pretty much everyone has a 360.

That's how I base my opinion. From experience.
It is one thing to provide some useful information and entirely another to just make pointless comments like you seem to do quite often. Just stirring the pot basically...

"Dude, GET YOUR OWN."

A

alexsound

Audioholic
hmmmmmmmm. So i guess i will have to understand the BC issue before i decide on the 40 vs. 80 gig. I'm not going to get the 40 gig if i can never play ps2 games... but if its just a firmware update, no big deal... hmmm...
Don't take this as gospel, but I was at a local Gamestop yesterday, and
and the manager there said from what he is hearing from their home office,
the BC issue will be addressed the same way MS did it with the 360, via
firmware upgrades, however, he did say he also heard that the new unit
will not be as BC as the 60g or 80f model because Sony won't make firmware upgrades for all the PS2 or 1 games made.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, that is interesting that the 40G dropped SACD, that is news to me. I would imagine it isn't just the drive in question, but dropping the chipset also. That will reduce cost additionally especially since most didn't seem to even know it could do this previously.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure most gamers could care less about SACD, if they even know what it is to begin with (especially seeing as how over 50% of the people who bought it didn't even know it plays bluray discs), so it's definitley a smart move on Sony's part to leave it out.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I am so glad now that I got the 60gb model. It seems to be the one that has it all. Although Guitar Hero 2 compatibility is still kind of crappy though. I am out of component and hdmi ports on my tv! Can't hook up PS2.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had to buy a HDMI switch to use my PS3 :)

I can see why they included SACD initially, but I don't think it is really necessary.

Last edited:
Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
It is one thing to provide some useful information and entirely another to just make pointless comments like you seem to do quite often. Just stirring the pot basically...

"Dude, GET YOUR OWN."
So how's that gaming going. Oh, you have a PS3. Nevermind.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis