Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We got an up close and personal look at the new Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB projector at the 2007 Audioholics State of the CE Union event in Clearwater Beach, Florida. The "UB" stands for Ultra Black and by the looks of what we saw onthe screen, the designation is not given lightly. While DLP insists on providing a color wheel and holding out its 3-chip designs for only the most high-end models, Epson and other 3LCD manufacturers are cleaning house in terms fo bang for the buck. This under-$5000 projector features a healthy amount of lens shift (almost 100% vertical and 50% horizontal), two HDMI 1.3 inputs, Deep Color (x.v.Color) support, and a 2.1x zoom.

Discuss "Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB First Look" here. Read the article.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
This was a very cool demo at the party. However, in between scenes, I did notice that there were some funny color blotches on the screen. I think this was from dust that was on the anamorphic lens. Does any one know if this kind of anamorphic lens system will be included internally to any projectors of decent price in the near future? It sure was cool to have the whole screen in use and have the full resolution of the chip as part of that...

N

ned

Full Audioholic
This was a very cool demo at the party. However, in between scenes, I did notice that there were some funny color blotches on the screen. I think this was from dust that was on the anamorphic lens. Does any one know if this kind of anamorphic lens system will be included internally to any projectors of decent price in the near future? It sure was cool to have the whole screen in use and have the full resolution of the chip as part of that...
Are you referring to a native 2.35 projectors? You wouldn't need any 'internal lense' for that. Runco has announced a 720p 2.35 native projector at an surprisingly affordable price.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
We got an up close and personal look at the new Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB projector [/url].
Clint,
I'm not familiar with 3LCD projectors but the image subjectively compares similarly to a DLP projector.

Is the Epson UB version more like the best 3LCD PJ as oppose to better than most PJ (DLP, LCOS)?

I am sensitive (very) to rainbows... so while DLP front projection tends to have slightly better black levels (if you have the kind of room that allows you to see it) LCD technology, with its 3-chip panels and lack of color wheel makes for a much better picture.

DLP has positioned itself to protect the overpriced "high-end" 3-chip systems from becoming affordable (as of now anyway) they are (I imagine) afraid that once they allow those prices to drop, then there will be no real difference between the high-end cinema projectors and home projectors, save lumen output.

Right now LCD and LCoS/SXRD/LCoS have 3-chip systems - no color wheel needed.

With DLP, why is it that I can buy THREE single-chip DLP projectors for a grand total of $3000, but I cannot get a single 3-chip DLP projector for less than $15,000?

Rant over, lol.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
I agree with the pricing in regards to 3 chip system. It's too bad TI has positioned itself that way.

3 chip DLP blows out in comparison to the other technology, IMHO. I prefer a 3 chip 720p DLP over any other 1080p non-DLP system such as the Infocus 777 or the Sim2.

B

bigdwest

Enthusiast
1080p UB's Brightness for day time viewing

Clint,

Thanks for the first look on the UB. I sounds incredibly interesting. Could you comment on the brightness fo the projector?

I have a situation where I am going to be using a family room as theater room and during the day I can perform moderate light control but at night will have not problems getting the room dark. I am wanted to be able to enjoy HD football on Saturday's and Sunday's so being able to calibrate to D65 and still have a strong picture is import as well.

If you can also recommend a screen combination that offers a good vieing cone for this situation with decent gain and good contrast ratio it would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

David

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis