UN-Official Formula 1 Thread

majorloser

majorloser

I agree, the winner should get the "lion's share" of the points.
Coming in second is just the best of the losers.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Bernie had a great idea. :eek: I know, pick up your jaws off the floor. He suggested that the winner get 15 pts and the rest of the field stay the same at 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. That way the system puts more emphasis on winning. I completely agree here.
I wish there were more emphasis on winning also. I also wish the awarded points to all the drivers all the way down to last place. This would make it a more fan friendly sport and easier to track how well all the drivers are doing against the others. I know this would not be popular with traditionalists but I want to know (without doing the math myself) how well all the drivers are doing.

My best example would be a driver who dnf's alot but also scores points vs. someone who dose not often score points but finishes most of the races.

SBF1

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I wish there were more emphasis on winning also. I also wish the awarded points to all the drivers all the way down to last place. This would make it a more fan friendly sport and easier to track how well all the drivers are doing against the others. I know this would not be popular with traditionalists but I want to know (without doing the math myself) how well all the drivers are doing.

My best example would be a driver who dnf's alot but also scores points vs. someone who dose not often score points but finishes most of the races.

SBF1
This would be more akin to NASCAR right? It might work, and like you said it would address the critic's view that F1 is not as fan friendly as other racing categories.

annunaki

annunaki

Strongbad,

You would like the "Gurney System" for points distribution. Go onto the Speed TV F1 forums and do a search for it. It assures that the driver with the most wins, wins the championship. Of course you could not win 3 races and dnf the rest and win especially if you were tied with wins. It is a pretty cool system and addresses your concerns. It pays something like 1000 points for a win and 50 for second and drops off from there.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Strongbad,

You would like the "Gurney System" for points distribution. Go onto the Speed TV F1 forums and do a search for it. It assures that the driver with the most wins, wins the championship. Of course you could not win 3 races and dnf the rest and win especially if you were tied with wins. It is a pretty cool system and addresses your concerns. It pays something like 1000 points for a win and 50 for second and drops off from there.
Gurney's quote:
One of the common topics on this board—along with Ferrari cheats, Schumacher dresses funny, Max is mad, andKimitalkslikethis—is that the points system sucks. It does. The problem with the current points system is that it doesn't pay enough to the winners and it doesn't pay enough to the losers. That is, the gap between the points for P1 and P2 should be greater and, since points are paid only through P8, a P22 is as good as a P9. The driver with the most race wins does not necessarily win the WDC and, while it hasn't happened yet, it is possible to win the WDC without a race win. Many proposals have been made, including the simple "1 point for P1, nothing for P2 through P-last." That would keep the losers from winning the WDC, but it would not recognize the efforts of the also-rans.

There is a simple solution. It ensures that the WDC will be decided among the race winners, and among the race winners only, and that all of the also-rans will get their just deserts for their efforts. This system works for seasons of 20 races or fewer and for fields of 24 cars or fewer. If the season were longer or the fields larger, minor tweaks could be made.

P1: 1000 points
P2: 50
P3: 30
P4: 25
P5: 22
P6: 20
P7: 18
P8: 17
P9: 16
P10: 15
P11: 14
P12: 13
P13: 12
P14: 11
P15: 10
P16: 9
P17: 8
P18: 7
P19: 6
P20: 5
P21: 4
P22: 3
P23: 2
P24: 1
DSQ: 0

That ensures that the driver with the most wins will win the WDC. If there are ties in number of wins, they will be settled by the number of points earned in the non-wins. It will also ensure that all of the race winners will finish ahead of the non-winners (one driver has 1 P1 and 19 DNSs, for a total of 1000 points, and another driver has 20 P2s, also for a total of 1000 points. The driver with the P1 wins the tie-breaker, number of P1s.)
I'd like it better if P1 was 101 points. This way two second places is not as good as a win but consistency is not completely overlooked.

Safety has to be considered also. We don't need drivers being desperate out there either...

annunaki

annunaki

I love the way the guys on the forum do pseudo Kimi speaches. They are usually something like this:

"thecarwasgoodtodayandtheteamdidareallygreatjob *mic adjustment* iamreallyhappyfortheteamastheyworkedsohard *mic adjustment* togetthecarrightformeandifeelgreatohaverewardedthemwithawin *scratches ear* itwasgreattohavefelipefinishsecondasweachievedmaximumpointsfortheteam *wipes face with towel* eventhoughwehavewonthecontructorschampionship *mic adjustment* itwasanexcellentresult"

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
SBF1 points system

P1: 175 points
P2: 87
P3: 43
P4: 21
P5: 20
P6: 19

What do ya think? I doubled plus one for the podium positions. think of it this way if 3rd gets you the current 6 points 2nd would be 12+ points and 1st would be 24+ points insted of 6, 8 & 10 respectfully.

SBF1

annunaki

annunaki

Gurney's quote:

I'd like it better if P1 was 101 points. This way two second places is not as good as a win but consistency is not completely overlooked.

Safety has to be considered also. We don't need drivers being desperate out there either...
I agree to a point but consistency will still be rewarded even with the points for the winner at a 1000. If a person finished 16 of 18 races in second place and then had two third place finishes they would have 860 points. If a driver were to win one race and finish third in 16 of 18 races and have second in another he would have 1,530 points. The pesron with the race win (or most race wins) always wins the championship. Now if the guy with all the second place finishes would have gotten a win, a third place finish, and 16 second place finishes he would win the title at 1,830 pts.

Say driver A: scores 1 win and 17 second places he would have 1,850 points

And driver B: scores 2 wins and 16 4th place finishes, he would have 2,400 points

Driver B wins the title because he wins more races. It puts the sole emphasis on winning so drivers are not "taking it easy" to settle for a position. It has a sizeable reward for every poision gained, enough worth fighting for.

If a driver wins a race but then DNFs the rest of the season he will not win the championship unless all the other race winners were to do the exact same thing. It rewards winning and consistency. It allows drivers to get back into the title fight late in the season if the title leader starts feeling lazy.

Take 2005 and 2006 as an example. Alonso built an early season lead and then just relied on taking 2nd or 3rd to coast to a title knowing the winner could never take more than 2-4 points out of his lead. In the Gurney system he would be forced to fight for a win or have his lead come down quickly.

In 2005 it would have been Alonso with 8,379 pts to Kimi with 7,282 pts. Had Kimi won the races he dnf'ed he would have easily won the title. Alonso was awarded with his consistency.

In 2006 it would have been Schumacher with 7,314 to Alonso with 7,394. Again alonso is awarded with consistency as they were tied in race wins. If Schumacher wins in Japan instead of a DNF he wins.

This season is where it would really be important though

Currently it would be:

Kimi: 5,283
Hamilton: 4,403
Alonso: 4,373

Kimi would need the win to hold onto first place. If one of the others were to win he would lose out as he has not been quite as consistent as the other two over the course of the season. It rewards both race wins and consistency putting wins above consistency.

annunaki

annunaki

P1: 175 points
P2: 87
P3: 43
P4: 21
P5: 20
P6: 19

What do ya think? I doubled plus one for the podium positions. think of it this way if 3rd gets you the current 6 points 2nd would be 12+ points and 1st would be 24+ points insted of 6, 8 & 10 respectfully.

SBF1

This type of points system works very well also I would not mind seening something like it.

annunaki

annunaki

My point system:
You forgot there is supposed to be another team next year :)

1: 201
2: 100
3: 50
4: 23
5: 22
6: 21
7: 20
8: 19
9: 18
10: 17
11: 16
12: 15
13: 14
14: 13
15: 12
16: 11
17: 10
18: 9
19: 8
20: 7
21: 6
22: 5
23: 4
24: 3
25: 2
26: 1
DNF: 0

annunaki

annunaki

Looks like Hamilton, Button, and Sato may be in for penalties as they used two sets of wet tire in 1st practice.

I am hoping for a few grid spots.

It would be great if Hamilton had an engine failure to boot. I would like to see Raikkonen and Alonso dual it out, with Massa in between of course and a Raikkonen win.

Kimi was smokin' on a drying track in FP1. Hamilton went quickest in FP2. Saturday practice may be more telling of real pace though since most will be using a "one race special" engine.

annunaki

annunaki

Did anyone watch the race?????!??!!!!!!

Kimi wins the WDC!!!!!! I could not believe what I was seeing. What a great race. The Ferrari's were loads quicker than anyone else today. Fernando finished 57 seconds behind Kimi!

McLarceny is appealing the steward's decision to not dq Williams and BMW for supposedly using a fuel that was 10 degrees below ambient temperature.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Did anyone watch the race?????!??!!!!!!

Kimi wins the WDC!!!!!! I could not believe what I was seeing. What a great race. The Ferrari's were loads quicker than anyone else today. Fernando finished 57 seconds behind Kimi!

McLarceny is appealing the steward's decision to not dq Williams and BMW for supposedly using a fuel that was 10 degrees below ambient temperature.
Best news I've had today!!!! Ferrari, Kimi and Massa kick F1 butt!!!:D

I can't believe McLarceny is even saying anything, these guys should be so embarrassed that they shouldn't open their trap.:mad:

annunaki

annunaki

I can't believe McLarceny is even saying anything, these guys should be so embarrassed that they shouldn't open their trap.:mad:

I totally agree. Alonso said he would be ashamed if the title were awarded to Hamilton through a court case.

Let is die they lost, big time.

Had McLarceny not lost all of the Constuctor's points, assuming that the ban of Constructor's Points in Hungary would have stood, Ferrari would have beaten McLarceny in the WCC by one point winning both titles anyway!!!!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hot Diggity!!!!!!!

Kimi & Ferrari won! (thanks to Masa):cool:

:p:p:pHamilton choked big time bad!:p:p:p

Sorry guys for the late response. I missed the race live and had to wait until tonight to watch it. Well worth the wait!

SBF1

ps march won't come soon enough.

annunaki

annunaki

March can't come soon enough. I hate waiting during the offseason. At least until the new cars are unveiled and testing begins over winter. Then you have all the speculation about who will be strong for the upcoming season and all that.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Yes, I bet the Honda factory team will be quick next year, just like this year ;). I found it funny when Peter Windsor asked Rubens what his best memory of this season was, and he responded "I can't believe how bad our car was".

Can't wait until next March, seems like a long way away.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis