PS3 for $399 on November 2?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Just because the 40gb PS3 won't have backwards compatibility at launch it doesn't mean it never will. The 80gb PS3 doesn't have the EE in it but it's still BC via software. Look at the 360, it has software BC and plays over 95% of games. At first they had issues with Halo 2 not working but now it's flawless. That's the whole point of software emulation, it can be added at any time.

I remember when people were complaining about not being able to play Final Fantasy XI on the PS3 because of the hard drive for PS2 and a couple of months later sony released the patch so that you can install it on the PS3 hdd just like a PS2.

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
I'm still torn on what to buy. If i end up with another X360 (Ccity gave me a $400 g/c last time) then i still will need to spend $200 on a HD DVD drive and $100 on the network thing.

Or i can just bite the bullet and sell my 5 or so games that i never play, the extra controller, and pick up the Sony for use of the BluRay (even though i'm not interested in dropping $25 for a disc). it would be a MUCH better deal than an $800 elite with HD and wireless addon...

I always have the Wii for games i guess. Plenty of cheap stuff for that with the gamecube games and the downloads you can get...

*sigh*

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
I'm still torn on what to buy. If i end up with another X360 (Ccity gave me a $400 g/c last time) then i still will need to spend $200 on a HD DVD drive and $100 on the network thing.

Or i can just bite the bullet and sell my 5 or so games that i never play, the extra controller, and pick up the Sony for use of the BluRay (even though i'm not interested in dropping $25 for a disc). it would be a MUCH better deal than an $800 elite with HD and wireless addon...

I always have the Wii for games i guess. Plenty of cheap stuff for that with the gamecube games and the downloads you can get...

*sigh*
Wireless gaming has been really unstable on my network! I can sell you my XBox add for 20$ if you still want one!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you shop around, you can get a fair number of movies easily for less than $25 ea, though a lot of the top titles do tend to pull in higher prices. My average price is about $15 per disc so far. Not to mention, you get the 5 free discs and if you get the deal with the Spiderman bundle, that would be 8 discs free.

Wireless issues are going to have to do with your network and your exact hardware and setup. I have issues once in a while, but for the most part it is pretty stable.

Last edited:
Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't think it has even been 2 years since it's inital launch yet...has it?

Consider yourself extremely lucky so far. There is a design/emgineering flaw to the 360 that is causing a failure rate that is anywhere from 35% to 70% (imo). We will never know the true numbers though. MS will never admit it.
This issue has finally been addressed. If you purchase a new 360 this month, the "ring of death" as it's been called should no longer be an issue. They redesigned the unit. It is much quieter and creates less heat. The heat was the main issue of the failure rates. However, it doesn't help those who have already purchased a 360. At least MS has done something though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This was discussed before. So do they have some serial number designation that tells you definitively which ones have the new design? If not, then you could still be buying an "old" one that is on the shelf at the store... It isn't like they are going to recall all the ones that are currently in stock right now to replace them.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Does anyone know how good the PS2 games look on the PS3? I have my Gran Turismo games, and I've found the PS2 graphics pretty brutal.

And which PS3 has the BC chip?

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Does anyone know how good the PS2 games look on the PS3? I have my Gran Turismo games, and I've found the PS2 graphics pretty brutal.

And which PS3 has the BC chip?

SheepStar
Which means used for the 20G and, depending on your area, you may still find 60G on the shelf new. Both are out of production.

PS2 graphics still look like PS2 graphics. Upscaling is about equivalent to DVD upscaling - it looks better than original, but still doesn't look or sound as good as the better PS3 games.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, I've been away. I'll try to find that link again.
I could not find that link that showed it didn't play SACD'd. But I did find several that say it does. Good news, but I'll be checking closely before I buy.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've tried it out and it works. I don't have a HDMI receiver though, so I can only get stereo via the component connection which I only used for the first few days I had it. I have 2 SACD players so I haven't really had a need to use it, but I tried one disc and it recognized it as SACD.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I can confirm that the PS3 has full SACD functionality via HDMI. I use mine occasionally to play multichannel SACDs so no worries there. Also, I have yet to hear a report on the feature being removed from the newer models as it is completely software that is already fully developed.

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
I've decided this is the push i need to replace my 360 with a PS3.

Elite $450
HD DVD $180
Wireless net $100

or

PS3 + 6 movies $400

I'll be out of the country when this releases so i will probably send my brother to pick one up for me.

Good job, Sony.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis