Question about PS3 video output

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Can the ps3 be connected via a 'standard' component cables like those sold here?
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm

Or does it require a special cable like the ps2 and xbox needed?

Also, can I hook up a standard pc USB gamepad to the ps3? How about a USB headset/mic?

Thanks!
The PS3 component cables are proprietary. Here is a well priced set (I should note no experience with them):
http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-3-Component-AV-Cable/dp/B000MIXFWA

USB peripherals like headsets are supposed to work from what I have read. With controllers I am not sure. I have a feeling they might not work because they don't have a "PS" button which is used to recognize controllers.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
USB Controllers will not work.
Headsets should, but I'm not too sure about that since I'm using the bluetooth headset from my phone.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The PS button has nothing to do with "recognizing" the controller; none of the aftermarket controllers have a PS button (which simply means you cannot turn the PS3 on with them). Still, a USB controller probably won't work since you can't install a driver for it.

K

-Kevin-

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys, just an FYI. I picked up a 60 gig ps3 today. I was surprised to discover that my PC USB gamepad that I picked up in Japan about a year ago does indeed work on the PS3.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
The component cables for the PS3 are the same ones you would use on the PS2 so if you have an old set lying around, then use them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, that is what I did until my HDMI cable was delivered.

I know that the PS2 controllers work with the PS3 too, you just need a PS2 to PS3 adapter (USB to PS2 controller basically, that applies to the DVD remote also) but any features unique to the PS3 (PS, Sixaxis) obviously won't be there. At this point, I'll be waiting to pick up another controller around X-mas when they release the new "rumble" versions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis