E

Elvis1977

Audioholic Intern
There is nothing wrong with my JBL speaker system

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You are right. I think people are only suggesting that better speakers may get you more sound quality improvements than going from the 4306 to the 645 or 745. Those JBL speakers are very nice, but there are better ones, just like there are better receivers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You are right. I think people are only suggesting that better speakers may get you more sound quality improvements than going from the 4306 to the 645 or 745. Those JBL speakers are very nice, but there are better ones, just like there are better receivers.
Right, and speakers have a much more profound effect on the SQ of a sound system than a receiver. I have nothing against your speakers, they are good for the money, but as a general rule 2/3 of an audio budget should be for speakers.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you're right, there's nothing wrong with your speakers.

they weren't laughing at you, but at what mtrycrafts said.

but I agree with what PENG said, with a slight variation, if you upgrade your sub, you'll get far more improvement in SQ than receivers or speakers (costing within reason).

i have listened to that sub extensively in the store (as in, I was in the store the whole day for several sundays) ... it doesn't even match the DLS-R from Velodyne.

E

Elvis1977

Audioholic Intern
Yeh I understand what you guys are saying. Tommorrow the 745 is arriving at my home and I will test it out. I will probably keep it since I loved the 645 sound and later upgrade the sub.
But nobody has an explanation as to why a $2000 Denon (4306) does not sound as good as a $599 HK. I could not believe it myself. I dragged a neighbor into my theater room and blindfolded him to some popular PINK FLOYD songs and he also liked HK over DENON. The LOGIC7 is freaking unbelievale in sound quality!

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe this is why...

But nobody has an explanation as to why a $2000 Denon (4306) does not sound as good as a $599 HK.
Did you level match the two while doing the blinded test? Often times louder is perceived as better when in reality it isn't...

I have skimmed the thread and saw no mention of it. Just an idea anyways as now its too late to go back and level match if you hadn't. Also, if this wasn't a double blinded test you could have biased your friends, even though they were blindfolded, through your tone of voice or word choice.

In the end there are a variety of factors that can account for perceived increase sound quality besides real differences in sound quality that might not have been controlled for.

Also, I am not saying there wasn't a difference. I am just playing devil's advocate as you asked why there was this perceived difference between receivers.

Last edited:
E

Elvis1977

Audioholic Intern
Yeah that's a good observation, but too late. You see I have already mentioned that both receivers were 41 lbs in weight and the DENON cut off when pushed at higher volumes while the hk wanted more power and NEVER cut off. I played "HEY YOU" from PINK FLOYD and several other songs. I'm not saying the DENON was bad by any means. It sounded very good, but the HK was better. Maybe the 50 HCC amps in HK engineering played a role in sound. Both receivers were warm sounding. My gut instinct tells me that DENON receivers are probably overpriced, but well built. $2000 VS $599= ????

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In addition to level matching, if you are interested purely in sound quality. it is better to set both units to two channel 'pure direct' or something like that and play some high quality music CDs, instead of using logic 7, DVD movies, or other processed sound effects.

Anyway, if it is too late, then why not just enjoy your 745 and assume HK sounds better regardless of the reasons. One fact to keep in mind though, based on more than one lab measurements, the lower model Denon 3805 (37.5 lbs) has significantly higher power output into both 8 ohms and 4 ohms (higher current) than the equivalent HK 630 (also 41 lbs). I would think it is unlikely that the 645 has more power output than the 4306. My be something else was causing your unit to sound harsh at high volume.

E

Elvis1977

Audioholic Intern
I compared both units using all listening modes (direct, all channel stereo, surround, etc.)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hehe
I just want to see the Yammy's bottom out and sound like crap :) . Put the Yammy vs a Sunfire :) .
Hey, bring everything, we'll make it a fest of some kind. :D
But remember, we cannot exceed the design limits.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Yeh
I have not heard the new JBL , but many years ago , i heard some with a Carver2000 receiver with Sonicholigram on , there SQ was very good .
Although you know the nickname for JBL = Junk but loud . Don't worry JBL is good stuff , just look at there high end speakers , there at a SQ quality that very few can touch .

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I will bring the Durabrand HTIAB receiver unit!
I hope they have a cheap campground nearby for the length we will be there:D I guess the bike will no do.
Or, better yet, if he has a mansion and can put up everyone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis