IGN gives Heavenly Sword an average rating

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They gave it a 7 and pointed out that a lot of minor things can add up to a less than stellar game. I think I already mentioned the lack of a block button, and it bugged them also. Looks like I will hold off on this one for now, which means Stranglehold and Dirt are looking like the ones for me...

Review

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I think the big thing holding this game back from most reviews I have seen it the lack of lasting appeal. I am not too interested in it as the demo was just okay in my mind. I will probably be picking up GOW and GOW II soon though since I have never played those...

Also, I generally check metacritic to get an idea of what many reviewers think of the media not just one. HS did slightly better overall with "Generally Favorable Reviews", but still nothing special.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/heavenlysword?q=heavenly sword

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When I got to play it, it was very fun, but if it is all the same thing then I can see it not having much lasting power.

GOW is STILL fun to play...and the story is part of the reason. Definitely one of the best games for the PS2 period. GOWII feels like a "middle" installment. Too short, but great graphics for a PS2 game and while it added a few new features, it was pretty much the same stuff as the first game, not that that is a bad thing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL, God of War came first :D I think he brought it up because Heavenly Sword is often compared to it due to some similarities and is referred to as "Goddess of War".

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
The problem with Heavenly Sword isn't the game, it's the fact that it's being compared to probably the best game of the past generation. People had super high expectations. I'll probably pick it up. Most reviews i've read call it a lazier God of War. They lock you in a room and send countless enemies at you. You have to hack your way through them all to proceed. A cheap way to extend play time.

But it also supposedly has some awesome mechanics, like steering projectiles with the sixaxis. Should be interesting. And the production values and voice acting are supposedly top notch.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I will probably pick it up later or rent it. The fighting system with the crazy combos is great, but like the review said, the timed-button push sequences during the boss fight were almost impossible to get right on the level I played.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis