60gb PS3 "Sold Out"

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
So it looks like Sony has run out of the 60GB PS3's now we get to see if they will be dropping the price on the new 80gb version. I am hoping they do especially after the sales figures from last month after the original price cut were so horrible. If it happens my guess is by the end of September. Sony will have to do it in time for the holidays or they are digging their own grave IMHO.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=131768

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would say don't expect it until the end of October or start of November, if they do it at all.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I wouldn't be surprised to see it sooner. They're going to need to do it before november and the holiday shopping season. Otherwise, they're going to be up against a cheaper 360 w/Halo 3 and BioShock.

I'm surprised that they sold out already though. They said they'd have enough stock for a while, and I don't think the price drop sold as many as they thought they would -- they thought they'd definitely outsell the 360 if the NY times article is to be believed.

What's coming up before the holiday besides Heavenly Sword and Ratchet and Clank?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't be surprised to see it sooner. They're going to need to do it before november and the holiday shopping season. Otherwise, they're going to be up against a cheaper 360 w/Halo 3 and BioShock.

I'm surprised that they sold out already though. They said they'd have enough stock for a while, and I don't think the price drop sold as many as they thought they would -- they thought they'd definitely outsell the 360 if the NY times article is to be believed.

What's coming up before the holiday besides Heavenly Sword and Ratchet and Clank?
All kinds of games. Haze will be a big one. Here is a link: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/releases.html

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
All kinds of games. Haze will be a big one. Here is a link: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/releases.html
I meant AAA titles with mass appeal, sorry for being vague. I think all the big ones (MGS4, FF, GOW3) are coming next year. I'd consider Heavenly Sword a AAA title and Ratchet and Clank, but i couldn't think of any others that were "system sellers".

Microsoft has a big system seller, and it's cheaper. That's why i think the price drop will come sooner. Sony's gotta at least match the price...i can't see anyone choosing a PS3+Haze combo@$560 over a 360+Halo3 combo@$460. All of the people that "believe" in the PS3 bought one already and Sony's gonna have to give Average Joe a reason to buy it this holiday.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
...i can't see anyone choosing a PS3+Haze combo@$560 over a 360+Halo3 combo@$460. All of the people that "believe" in the PS3 bought one already and Sony's gonna have to give Average Joe a reason to buy it this holiday.
Well, if the anecdotal retailer feedback is accurate, as presented on an AH article a while back, the PS3 has about a 1-2 percent failure rate, and XBOX 360(the newer ones), around 30% or greater.

Not a hard choice for me based on that extremely poor engineered hardware that Microsoft seems to be selling.

BTW, just for fun, I asked one of the salesman in the local Best Buy video game/media department, whom has worked there for a few years, if the demo 360 has been reliable. He claimed that it has been replaced about 5 times so far. Eeeek!

-Chris

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Keep in mind the demo 360 is also encased in a plastic display case or whatever, so it's more likely to overheat and die, if it had some ventilation I'm sure it would do much better.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Well, if the anecdotal retailer feedback is accurate, as presented on an AH article a while back, the PS3 has about a 1-2 percent failure rate, and XBOX 360(the newer ones), around 30% or greater.

Not a hard choice for me based on that extremely poor engineered hardware that Microsoft seems to be selling.

BTW, just for fun, I asked one of the salesman in the local Best Buy video game/media department, whom has worked there for a few years, if the demo 360 has been reliable. He claimed that it has been replaced about 5 times so far. Eeeek!

-Chris
Do remember: When you buy a Xbox 360 you are getting the best warranty ever offered on a gaming system. That should account for something, right :rolleyes::p?

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief

-Chris
If it was a dvd player or something, i'd agree, buy the better hardware. But the point of a game system is actually playing games. And the 360 has a lot more (right now) and they're better. Even the multiplatform games seem to run better on the inferior hardware.

I bought my PS3 when i did because i wanted one with the emotion engine. There will be good games for the ps3 next year. If they didn't discontinue the 60g, there's no way i would have bought one now. A reliable machine that sits there doing nothing is pointless.

That said, the 360 is a piece of junk hardware-wise. It's a shame, because the software has been top notch so far. There's no doubt and i don't think anyone would disagree that the PS3 is more reliable hardware with far more features. And if it had the same game lineup as the 360, it'd be an *easy* choice. Unfortunately for Sony, a game system is the combination of software, hardware, and services.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The 360 is hit or miss for most people... Before my first one got stolen it was fantastic, and so far my current Elite has been great as well. But I also keep it well ventilated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis