Lobbiest trying to ruin chocolate

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
With the recent find of a bunch of foodies on this board I figured a few might be interested in the current state of chocolate in the legislature. It seems right now that some of the larger chocolate producers in the country are trying to get the technical aspects of chocolate changed so vegetable oil can be substituted, at least in part, for the cocoa fat. While this might not be considered a bad thing by many of the uninformed you can already taste the difference between what I call real chocolate and the mass produced crap that comes in candy bars, which I will personally never buy due to crappy chocolate that is contained and due to the partially hydrogenated oils used. Either way most good chocolate manufacturers probably won't change a thing, but this is another step towards more Americans accepting crappy food. End rant.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0824edit2aug24,0,5762530.story

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
You know, once they throw chocolate under the bus that's the end of modern civilization!:D It doesn't surprise me, you know the big candy conglomerates just look at their bottom lines.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
You know, once they throw chocolate under the bus that's the end of modern civilization!:D It doesn't surprise me, you know the big candy conglomerates just look at their bottom lines.
Its just sad to see whole generations thinking Hershey is good quality chocolate meanwhile they have never had a bite of something that really tastes of chocolate. I might be an extremist when it comes to chocolate flavor as I occasionally eat 87% cocoa dark although I normally enjoy high 60's to mid 70's which is pretty bitter but most of what is out their is an abomination even when it comes to milk chocolate or lower bitterness darks.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Its just sad to see whole generations thinking Hershey is good quality chocolate meanwhile they have never had a bite of something that really tastes of chocolate. I might be an extremist when it comes to chocolate flavor as I occasionally eat 87% cocoa dark although I normally enjoy high 60's to mid 70's which is pretty bitter but most of what is out their is an abomination even when it comes to milk chocolate or lower bitterness darks.
Ha, I thought I was the only one that actually enjoyed 87%, go figure a real cocoa nut (no pun, sorry!) My wife thinks I'm nuts when I eat 87% (again no pun, sorry.) I'm a chocoholic, there I've said it!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
On those rare occasions that I have had a really excellent piece of chocolate, I have enjoyed it. Beyond that, I don't pay much attention to it.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
My doctor told me to leave chocolate out of my diet. But changing how it's made is just wrong. What's next? Will Coke change how it's made? Again?:eek:

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
My doctor told me to leave chocolate out of my diet. But changing how it's made is just wrong. What's next? Will Coke change how it's made? Again?:eek:
Really? Chocolate out of the diet? Dark chocolate in moderation is actually pretty good for the heart. Most peoples problems seem to lie in eating milk chocolate with partially hydrogenated oils (think Hershey) and lack of portion control.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Remember those "World's Finest" chocolate bars that kids would sell for fund raisers? Whatever happened to those? I used to love 'em.

With Ghirardhelli just up the road in SF, it's never hard to find good chocolate in the Bay.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Remember those "World's Finest" chocolate bars that kids would sell for fund raisers? Whatever happened to those? I used to love 'em.

With Ghirardhelli just up the road in SF, it's never hard to find good chocolate in the Bay.
Lucky dog. BTW those candies are still around they (kids) sucker my mom every so often to buy.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Chocolate?! You guys are well in touch with your feminine sides, lol. ;)

I like it okay, and will even go out of my way to get (real!) homemade CCC's (chocolate covered cherries) around the holidays.

But gimme JELLY BELLIES anyday!! :eek:

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Chocolate?! You guys are well in touch with your feminine sides, lol. ;)

I like it okay, and will even go out of my way to get (real!) homemade CCC's (chocolate covered cherries) around the holidays.

But gimme JELLY BELLIES anyday!! :eek:
Chocolate is good, but I have to keep it on hand for the girl. Since I am in charge of the kitchen (for the most part) it is one of the demanded items, but I enjoy it as well.

Generally, if I go all out with chocolate I make homemade truffles (the girl's preference is lemon infused) and then I temper some more chocolate for the shell drizzle a slight bit of lemon zest on top, in the case of lemon infused of course, and they are great. Sometimes I will even mold them for her. Always a winner no matter who tries them though and it is way cheaper then buying them ;).

J

jake5717

Audioholic

Richart in Union Square.

I dont like Chocolate but I got some for my GF and she LOVED them. Best Chocolate shes ever had.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Really? Chocolate out of the diet? Dark chocolate in moderation is actually pretty good for the heart. Most peoples problems seem to lie in eating milk chocolate with partially hydrogenated oils (think Hershey) and lack of portion control.
Doc says that chocolate is not so good for my diabetes.:mad:
Was my downfall I guess.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Doc says that chocolate is not so good for my diabetes.:mad:
Was my downfall I guess.
If you are really missing your chocolate fix you might want to ask your doc about eating good quality dark chocolate that is higher in cocoa content (if you like that of course). There are many studies that show it is rather healthy and because little sugar and no milk is added it isn't unhealthy, in moderation.

Check this link out. Might help you get your dose again ;). Not the best study and it was only done on non-diabetics, but hey, can't hurt to ask. I have a feeling your Doc was more worried about crappy milk chocolate than dark.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I really do prefer something in the mid to high 80s and dark myself also. It is so much better tasting. I don't have to eat a lot of it either; I get my fix with just a little bit because it is so much more satisfiying.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It sucks that they want to change chocolate.

If they mess with cheese I fear I will have to hurt someone.:D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
If they mess with cheese I fear I will have to hurt someone.:D
I know you live in the States...apparently you don't know the abomination that occurs on all cheeses here as it is against the law to sell cheese any other way.

If you do a little research on the subject you will find that nearly every time a food born illness has been spread through cheese it was cause by improper pasteurization while properly made cheese that is "raw" has virtually never had a problem with these illnesses and has been made for hundreds if not thousands of years, besides it tastes way better...if you want to know why PM me as this is a chocolate thread ;).

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
when the intolerance strikes...

Avaserfi and Stratman -
I too only enjoy the higher content dark chocolates. I just had a Lindt 87% Dark bar and it was fantastic! Took me two days to eat the whole thing. Too much intensity to inhale at once.

I barely eat "milk chocolate" because of the lactose intolerance. You wouldn't believe how little of a dairy product it takes to make things...um...interesting. If there is any mention of milk products in the chocolate I won't buy it. The dark stuff just tastes sooo much better now that I've started to understand what chocolate is about!

I just attribute this whole thing to the cheapening of products. It was only a matter of time until someone attempted to cheapen chocolate. I can almost certainly guarantee that the prices for chocolate would NOT go down but either remain the same or increase. They'll never pass the "savings" onto the consumer. This is just another money grab by a sector of commerce.
More profits through cheaper products. (In quality and price)

-pat

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Avaserfi and Stratman -
I too only enjoy the higher content dark chocolates. I just had a Lindt 87% Dark bar and it was fantastic! Took me two days to eat the whole thing. Too much intensity to inhale at once.

I barely eat "milk chocolate" because of the lactose intolerance. You wouldn't believe how little of a dairy product it takes to make things...um...interesting. If there is any mention of milk products in the chocolate I won't buy it. The dark stuff just tastes sooo much better now that I've started to understand what chocolate is about!

I just attribute this whole thing to the cheapening of products. It was only a matter of time until someone attempted to cheapen chocolate. I can almost certainly guarantee that the prices for chocolate would NOT go down but either remain the same or increase. They'll never pass the "savings" onto the consumer. This is just another money grab by a sector of commerce.
More profits through cheaper products. (In quality and price)

-pat
I really don't like milk chocolate, chocolate is to be enjoyed like a good beer or a fine wine, you don't guzzle it, but most people can't handle the "bitter" side of chocolate like they can't handle a full bodied wine or a deep dark beer. I hope this doesn't sound snobbish. These companies aren't looking for the best quality, they want a "product" at rock bottom production cost, pretty wrapper, and a homogenized "taste" that the average person can accept. Whenever a company calls their chocolate or car a product or an item you can be sure that the bean counters and the p.r. spin-makers are at it. By the way on a different tangent, I add bitter cocoa to my chile to give it another layer of flavor.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I really don't like milk chocolate, chocolate is to be enjoyed like a good beer or a fine wine, you don't guzzle it, but most people can't handle the "bitter" side of chocolate like they can't handle a full bodied wine or a deep dark beer. I hope this doesn't sound snobbish. These companies aren't looking for the best quality, they want a "product" at rock bottom production cost, pretty wrapper, and a homogenized "taste" that the average person can accept. Whenever a company calls their chocolate or car a product or an item you can be sure that the bean counters and the p.r. spin-makers are at it. By the way on a different tangent, I add bitter cocoa to my chile to give it another layer of flavor.
Yeah, what he said. That is what it is all about right there...I used to love milk chocolate when I was a kid, but now the real stuff is worth seeking out. I don't eat a lot of chocolate and when I do, I like it to be good. Same with wine, though wine is a very different subject since you can get good wine without spending a bundle if you know where to find it....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis