PS3 fact or fiction

J

jetman1979

Audiophyte
I just bought a new ps3 to play games and watch movies (blueray) and normal cds.
The guy at game stop says it is not good on the system to play movies because it wears out the laser or something. he says on a game the laser works only part of the time.
Fact or fiction?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Well it probably falls into the catagory of so-so. I doubt the laser gets worn out watching movies, then wouldn't all BD players break over time due to this? Wouldn't there have been the same problem with DVDs as the laser tech is similar?

The reason the laser doesn't run constantly during games is because the ps3 has memory where game information is stored.

Either way you are fine. Don't worry about watching movies on the ps3.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I just bought a new ps3 to play games and watch movies (blueray) and normal cds.
The guy at game stop says it is not good on the system to play movies because it wears out the laser or something. he says on a game the laser works only part of the time.
Fact or fiction?
It's a partial truth at best. It is true the laser is only on part of the time with a game (it loads the game into memory most of the time) vs. a movie where it's on all the time.

However, the laser is much less likely to break than the mechanism to move the laser, which is relatively stationary for movies, vs all over the place for games as it accesses data on different areas of the disc.

Bottom line, watching movies won't shorten the life of your ps3. Heck, i have a CD player i have over 90,000 hours on...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is game dependent...not all games install data onto the disc so the time the laser is on will vary. I wouldn't worry much about laser life though; that is what it is designed to do. I had one CD player that was over 12 years old and it still worked fine. I have a DVD player that finally started to have some issues reading (alignment issue most likely, not the laser itself) and it is 10 years old.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
The guy at Game Stop gave you good advice, but this doesn't mean to never play cds or BDs on your PS3. It's merely a guideline. Not using your ps3 for cds is a very good idea, because cds (especially burned mixes) often are scratched and are missing data, which will put a bigger strain on your ps3 when it accesses the disc. My advice is if you don't need the ps3 to play the media, then use something that you didn't spend 500+ dollars on.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Where on earth are you guys getting this crap!?

The answer to the OP's question is that it is total fiction. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using your PS3 for movies and CDs. The guy totally made it up.

Sony has been making CD players since before you could buy CDs. Even cheap $20 Wal-Mart portable CD players last thousands upon thousands of hours. The lasers don't get "used up" and you won't wear out the mechanism during normal use.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Ummm...I bought mine to play a bunch of CDs...hogwash...

The guy at Game Stop gave you good advice, but this doesn't mean to never play cds or BDs on your PS3. It's merely a guideline. Not using your ps3 for cds is a very good idea, because cds (especially burned mixes) often are scratched and are missing data, which will put a bigger strain on your ps3 when it accesses the disc. My advice is if you don't need the ps3 to play the media, then use something that you didn't spend 500+ dollars on.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If playing movies/cd's on it was bad for it, I don't think Sony would have allowed it to play blu-ray discs... besides, for $500 - $600 it darn well better play movies.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Where on earth are you guys getting this crap!?

The answer to the OP's question is that it is total fiction. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using your PS3 for movies and CDs. The guy totally made it up.

Sony has been making CD players since before you could buy CDs. Even cheap $20 Wal-Mart portable CD players last thousands upon thousands of hours. The lasers don't get "used up" and you won't wear out the mechanism during normal use.
Before calling our advice "crap", perhaps you should remember the problems many people had with their PS2 consoles breaking from playing too many cds and DVDs. We are simply saying "be cautious with your PS3 console". Also, why would the gamestop guy "totally" make it up?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Before calling our advice "crap", perhaps you should remember the problems many people had with their PS2 consoles breaking from playing too many cds and DVDs. We are simply saying "be cautious with your PS3 console". Also, why would the gamestop guy "totally" make it up?
Yes, he totally made it up because he thinks he is being helpful, but he isn't. There is no proof that playing CDs or BDs or DVDs willl have any effect on the player. I played games for countless hours on my 2 PS2s without issue. That would be like saying "Don't play games on your new PS3, it might wear it out", because the player doesn't know the difference between a movie and a game - it is all just media to the player. The PS2s that were having issues due to quality control issues and possibly a less robust design early on. My brother's PS2 died and they exchanged it for him for free. In a product's life cycle they do tend to improve on the things that aren't working.

It was already mentioned - the mechanism that manages the laser can develop issues over time, not the laser itself, but that is not so common on any decent player these days.

Blu-ray not BLUE

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Apparently personal experience can change anyone's opinion.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If it was an issue, we would have seen units failing left and right by now. Yes, after a few years of use, it could show itself as an issue, but that is going to happen regardless of what type of media you use.

I bought my Oppo to use for DVDs because I never planned on watching DVDs on the PS3...but I will be watching Blu-ray movies on it considering the fact that I have bought maybe 2 DVDs since last year when I bought the PS3.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Right, I use my PS3 for Blu-Ray because it is the only BD player I have.

J

jetman1979

Audiophyte
very very interesting

Well one of the selling factors on getting the PS-3 was the fact it could play movie media in paticular Blueray. Now it is a fact that I will not watch hours upon hours of movies 24/7 just maybe 4 movies a week.
I saw just blueray players for 50 dollars+ over the 499 price of the PS-3 so I figured hey thats a good deal a item with many many features more then a plain jane only movie format machine.
So I guess I wont have to worry about short life if I keep it in moderation. Now my next step is learning all the features like web, the control that has a motion sensor etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis