Technics SA-GX670 overload problem

bldawley

bldawley

Enthusiast
I've just purchased a used SA-GX670; it worked fine for a few days, but now it goes into overload frequently. I've disconnected all speakers; still no help. The cooling fan comes on and makes a lot of noise (possibly bearings), then it shuts down. My question is, could the fan be causing the overload, and if so, where can I find a replacement fan for this model.

Thanks much.
bd

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I've just purchased a used SA-GX670; it worked fine for a few days, but now it goes into overload frequently. I've disconnected all speakers; still no help. The cooling fan comes on and makes a lot of noise (possibly bearings), then it shuts down. My question is, could the fan be causing the overload, and if so, where can I find a replacement fan for this model.

Thanks much.
bd
Welcome to the forum bldawley!

It definitely sounds like an overheating problem. If the fan comes on (and the blades are still functional), why would you want to replace the fan? It sounds as though it is doing the job for it was intended.

Typically, the most common causes of overheating are:
1) cramped conditions
2) lack of airflow
3) a hot room

If you yhave any of these conditions, cure it and the problem will most likely disappear. Post and let us know.

bldawley

bldawley

Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick reply;
the only reason i'm considering the fan is because of the incredibly loud noises coming from it when it switches on. It seems to be laboring a lot. I wouldn't have expected the fan, when running, to require cranking up the volume in order to hear the speakers.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Well, is it noticeably louder now than previously (I understand you've had it for only a few days)? If so, a replacement may be in order. I've used computer fans. You need to check the amperage, size and sones (obviously...you don't want it to be too loud). Any computer parts supplier (online or locally) will have these in stock. Otherwise, you can get an oem from Technics, and most likely pay through the nose. But I don't think you were asking for that. Cheers.

bldawley

bldawley

Enthusiast
Thanks Johnd. It definitely is way too loud and erratic; the fan spins for a second, then stops, restarts and stops, then the overload happens and the whole system shuts down. Even if the fan isn't the cause of the problem, I'm guessing it'll need replaceing. thanks again. I'll start searching for parts suppliers.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just a thought. I'd first try blowing an external fan on the electronics to see if that helps prevent it from going into overload. You might be able to direct enough air into the right spot to cool down the area that should be cooled by the (most likely) defective internal fan.

If you keep everything cool but still get an overload condition, then you likely have another culprit to deal with.

bldawley

bldawley

Enthusiast
Good idea, Adam. I will definitely give that a shot.
thanx

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis