davo

Full Audioholic
Talk about up-ing the ante.

Gameindustry.biz
PlayStation 3 to get DVR functions in early 2008
Illustration
Matt Martin 09:33 (BST) 01/08/2007

TV tuner due in Q1, says Sony New Zealand exec

Sony is to launch a digital tuner for the Playstation 3 in early 2008, offering programmable TV recording functions to users of the next-gen console.

Warwick Light, sales and marketing manager for Computer Entertainment New Zealand, revealed the details to local website The Press, promising to "transform the PS3 capabilities so as to meet people's changing entertainment needs."

"We're also hoping next year – about the same time that Freeview launches its terrestrial broadcasting service – to release a digital tuner for the PS3, turning it into a programmable TV recorder," said Light.

Freeview services are expected to launch in New Zealand next March.

Although some industry watchers expect an announcement regarding the service to be made at this year's Leipzig Games convention, Sony has previously refused to comment on the speculation.

Don't know if it will built in or an add-on. Probably an add-on.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Thats pretty cool. Maybe when I finally break down and get a TV service I'll be using my PS3 as a Tivo too.

I know there is a way to do this for free (software) with the PS3 if you have linux installed on it if anyone wants to know tell me and I will find it again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting. Seems like it is set up to do this already. I know you can do it on a PC, but hadn't crossed my mind that it would work on the PS3 as well.

D

Derrleak

Junior Audioholic
Sony will get theres in the end... I'm a big Xbox 360 fan but own both consoles, so I can only hope for the best from both of them :) I know Sony will have there fair share of heavy punches to the other consoles.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis