PS3 HDMI Handshake Failure

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to deal with this problem. Right now I have the ps3 running HDMI (audio/video) to my receiver then the receiver has an HDMI cable running to my TV. Every once and a while, mainly during games but sometimes Blu-ray, I will have a flicker on my screen where the HDMI handshake has failed. This only seems to happen when displaying 1080p not 720p.

I was wondering if anyone had run into a similar problem and managed to find a fix or if someone has read about one. I have tried a few things but nothing seems to work.

I think its the PS3 because I never have this problem with my Oppo which is also connected via HDMI.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have had it a few times, but it comes right back, and this WAS at 720p during games. Ever since about firmware 1.6 or 1.7 though, I haven't had this problem. I have my Oppo connected via a switchbox with the PS3 and I never have the problem with the Oppo either.

Z

zoran

Audioholic
I'll change HDMI cables before giving up! preferably from mono price etc, do not use switcher inbetween to test

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Odd, It seems my problems have started more recently with the addition of firmware 1.82. I tried calling Sony Tech but they didn't help at all...

I'll change HDMI cables before giving up! preferably from mono price etc, do not use switcher inbetween to test
Well I am using my receiver as a switcher, in a way, because I want both audio run through the receiver via HDMI so I can get TrueHD when watching blu-ray. I also have eliminated the idea of it being a cable problem because the Oppo does not have this problem while using the bluejeans cable so it must be an interaction between the PS3 and my receiver as far as I have it narrowed since no other time is there a drop out.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
3806 is 1.1 right? Maybe that is the issue? The Oppo definitely isn't 1.3.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
It is 1.1 but I thought newer versions of HDMI were supposed to be completely backwards compatible so there is the off chance but it shouldn't be likely, I think.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They are backwards compatible, but new features not offered on previous versions may not be 100% backwards compatible.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
They are backwards compatible, but new features not offered on previous versions may not be 100% backwards compatible.
That does make sense, I guess Illl look and see if there are any 1.3 only features turned on with the PS3 that I should turn off when I am off work.

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would think the handshake wouldn't be one of the problems though, so it could be something else specific between the PS3 and your receiver.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Ill play tonight and hopefully figure something out.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
PS3 HDMI Handshake

Just a thought, try connecting your ps3 directly to your tv via hdmi and then simply use the optical for sound output, optical sound quality is comparable to trueHD...depending on your surround setup. I found that i couldn't tell the difference on my 6.1 Sony Surround STR DG 800 Setup

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Just a thought, try connecting your ps3 directly to your tv via hdmi and then simply use the optical for sound output, optical sound quality is comparable to trueHD...depending on your surround setup. I found that i couldn't tell the difference on my 6.1 Sony Surround STR DG 800 Setup
I have tried that and it does work pretty well, but I am the stubborn type and like things working the way I want them too (if they are supposed to) :D. I was hoping for a solution that leaves things as they are. I have recently tried changing settings on the ps3 and receiver and it seems to have helped the problem, but I haven't had enough time to determine completely.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With TrueHD what you get is a 640K Dolby track via optical. From the one disc that I have that has this, NIN Beside you in Time, it is comparable if not better than a 1509K DTS track. With DTS-HD MA, you get a 1509K track and it sounds great too.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
With TrueHD what you get is a 640K Dolby track via optical. From the one disc that I have that has this, NIN Beside you in Time, it is comparable if not better than a 1509K DTS track. With DTS-HD MA, you get a 1509K track and it sounds great too.
I also noticed a difference between the Dolby track and the TrueHD track with this disc. I wasn't aware there was a DTS-HD MA recording included on Beside you in Time but how did you decode it as the PS3 does not have the capability to do so?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, the NIN disc is TrueHD. The only MA track I have is on Kingdom of Heaven, and it is the only audio track available for that disc :) It plays back as 1509K DTS via optical.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
No, the NIN disc is TrueHD. The only MA track I have is on Kingdom of Heaven, and it is the only audio track available for that disc :) It plays back as 1509K DTS via optical.
That makes a lot more sense you had me lost for a minute there! I didn't realize that was an MA track...It was extremely well done (I thoroughly remember at it was the movie that took my BD cherry).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My frist BD was Sleepy Hollow and I was kind of disappointed...it also has a 1509K dts track which sounded awsome, but the video quality wasn't as good as it should have been IMHO. Then came Fifth Element and House of Flying Daggers, and we know that FE wasn't exaclty top rate. HofD is better than the DVD, but not by a ton. Kingdom of Heaven was the first BD that really impressed me with both audio and video quality.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I am extremely excited about the FE rerelease. I have a feeling Sony will live up to the expectations this time as they are basically recalling all copies of the original disc. They are supposed to ship out tomorrow so hopefully Ill have mine when I am back in town Monday!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm curious about how long it will take them to arrive too. I had to do this once before with Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and it didn't take that long for it to arrive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis