A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
C'mon, the ps3's pad looks like the same as the one from the ps2 and ps1 and they sold plenty of those!
By people, i'm not talking about typical gamers. I'm talking more about people that would play games, but the controllers look too complicated to them. Wives, mothers, etc. They're well, people, which is what i said :) My wife has no problem picking up Super Mario Bros because there's only two buttons. No problem with guitar hero either, it has more buttons, but it's easy understandable. There's no "Hit X to do this and Hit A to do that, and move over there and hit R trigger, no, not the top one, the bottom one..."

*I* love the PS2/PS3 pad, more than any other controller. But all the buttons on the PS3/360 definitely scares away some would-be gamers. Which is part of why the Wii is doing so well. Watching someone play, people say "I could do that"

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Ok, that makes more sense, however I just feel that the basic Playstation controller has been around for over 10 years now. It should just be an easily recognizable household item. It shouldn't still be intimidating to anyone!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Sony's CEO has confirmed that the 60GB PS3 is no more:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175011.html

"As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of an 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499,"

"From a hardware perspective, the $499 price adjustment we did for the 60GB version for the American market, we're no longer in production for that product," he said in an unedited on-camera interview. "Once that product is gone from the retailer shelves, then we're back to a $599 SKU only, so it's not like we have a two-price strategy in the US market. We found out very early on how consumers react to having just one SKU as opposed to two."

C

chris6878

Audioholic
Damn THe xbox hardly works and the ps3 is about to fade away. I hate sony. THe 80 gig is gonna cost less to make (no emotion engine) than the 60 gig. ANd sony is gonna jack the price up on a inferior machine. THey trying to make up for the money they have lost. I hope no one buys the 80 gig

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ps3 games are 60 damn dollars! Plus tax. The games that are out are easy to beat and not worth the money.(except ninja gaiden) The wii games are cheaper, the system is cheaper, the online is free, and the games are fun. THey are appealing to the fat kids on the counch. Getting them up and moving.(parents want that) When they come out with the workout games they are gonna smash sony and microsoft, like they are doing now.
Um, the Wii games are even EASIER to beat and still cost almost $50...that's an even bigger ripoff to me.

If sony decides to pull the 60gig for a degenerate 80 gig, they will lose or have to drop the price. THe blue ray player is good but who wants to pay 30 bucks for a dvd! I would but not the average standard definition tv watchin Wii player!
I just picked up 6 Blu-ray titles for $12.50 each and the average is $19. Most of them look better than the best DVDs ever produced so I don't have an issue with paying a few bucks extra. Why would I spend $2 less to get a version that has less than 1/3 the resolution and doesn't even have the latest audio formats? I don't buy DVDs anymore...

I think Sony will sell all there 60GB models at $499 until there gone. The 80GB model is nice but it should have been at least 120GB to compete with the 360's Elite model at $479.
The Elite model was released because the original HDD in the 360 was far too small...it was their answer to the PS3s 60G.

*I* love the PS2/PS3 pad, more than any other controller. But all the buttons on the PS3/360 definitely scares away some would-be gamers. Which is part of why the Wii is doing so well. Watching someone play, people say "I could do that"
I am not impressed with the PS3 controllers - they are good, but could be better. The 360 has the best controllers ever made IMO.

Damn THe xbox hardly works and the ps3 is about to fade away. I hate sony. THe 80 gig is gonna cost less to make (no emotion engine) than the 60 gig. ANd sony is gonna jack the price up on a inferior machine. THey trying to make up for the money they have lost. I hope no one buys the 80 gig
They aren't jacking the price up on anything, the 80G is the same price as the 60G was and includes one game. The price of the 60 was dropped so they could sell them off. As has been mentioned, it ISN'T inferior, the software emulation supports over 70% of all PS2 games and that means that only a small percentage of games that probably aren't even top titles won't be compatible. They can also release updates that will fix errors with previous games if there is a need....

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Another thing that has been touted around recently is that Sony will most likely drop the price of the 80GB model not too long after the 60GB sells out to keep on top of the game. Analysts are saying that Sony just doesn't want to anger consumers who just bought a 60GB then drop the 80GB version down to the same price.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I figure we'll see that happen right around Thanksgiving.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I figure we'll see that happen right around Thanksgiving.
Makes sense. The math shows the 60gb running out between October and November and the 80gb is slated for September. I don't care when Sony does the price cut but it has to be soon. They won't sell many consoles if their only price point jumps back up 100 bucks. It is pretty hard to nail yourself into a coffin though...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
80G is coming out in mid August I heard, so there will likely be some overlap before the 60Gs sell out.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
80G is coming out in mid August I heard, so there will likely be some overlap before the 60Gs sell out.
You're right, not too sure where I got September from. Odd thing was when I was looking for the release date I found a bunch of forums of people ready to trade in their 60GB for an 80GB :confused:. I just don't get why people want that unit. If I needed more space I would buy an external hard drive.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Well, i think they're doing the price cut to accelerate a further cut. Clear out the remaining emotion engines, then cut the price further, which they should be able to do with lower manufacturing cost. Of course, they can't come out and say the 80GB version will be $400 in two months, because no one will buy them now. The price drop has to happen before GTA IV drops or they're toast.

Sony said they have enough 60g's for about 3 months? hmm...

I am not impressed with the PS3 controllers - they are good, but could be better. The 360 has the best controllers ever made IMO.
I can't stand the dpad on the 360. It's very inaccurate and tough to play games like Street Fighter or Pac Man. The perfect controller for me would be the dual shock with the analog and dpad in reversed positions.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, that is the one drawback, but size wise and functionally other than that, it is an excellent controller. The Logitech wireless controllers are also very comfortable when playing for long periods, so I don't know if I will get an adapter (already have 2 for the PS2) or just get the PS3 ones.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis