Returned PS3, doesn't work with my tv.

S

sailingsearge

Audioholic Intern
I have the sharp Aquos 45" in silver. I tried the PS3, and I couldn't get it to work properly, even after several hours with support on the phone. Anybody have this problem? Why?
I have the Pirates of the Carribean game, Resistance, Tears of the Sun Blue Ray, Underworld Evolution Blue Ray. Anyone want these at a reasonable price, let me know. Only used once.
Last, the PS tech told me that PS3 doesn't work with LG tv's at all.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
What wasn't working? I have the sharp LC-42D72U and it works perfectly for me.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
There's no reason that it wouldn't work with your TV. If you're talking about HDMI, then their is a possibility that you could be having HDCP handshake issues. There may be a firmware update for the Sharp. Even if you could not get HDMI to work there is absolutely no reason that component would not work. It's even possible that the PS3 was defective. I have seen more than one defective DVD player that would not work with certain TV's via HDMI but replacements worked fine.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
No insult intended to anyone, but this reminds me of a substitute teacher that I had in high school once. She was going to show us a video and spent about ten minutes in the front of the room, her back to us, fiddling with a TV and VCR. She finally turned around to the class, frustrated and almost in tears, and basically screamed, "Why won't this thing turn on?!" Clenched in her right hand was the power cord, and the plug was flopping around as she waved her arms in desperation. :D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
No insult intended to anyone, but this reminds me of a substitute teacher that I had in high school once. She was going to show us a video and spent about ten minutes in the front of the room, her back to us, fiddling with a TV and VCR. She finally turned around to the class, frustrated and almost in tears, and basically screamed, "Why won't this thing turn on?!" Clenched in her right hand was the power cord, and the plug was flopping around as she waved her arms in desperation. :D
Don't you love situations like that. User error makes something inoperable so instead of actually sitting down and thinking they freak out!

S

sailingsearge

Audioholic Intern
I'm not that lame

Thanks for the comments, but the Blue Ray worked perfect. The gaming was completely green. When I went through the HDMI it was green, and through the regular connection it was black.
I was looking for a more intelligent response than I'm stupid. That means that all of the ps3 techs, and the people from the store that came to my house are equally stupid. I'm sure there is some validity to that, but it doesn't solve my problem.

S

sailingsearge

Audioholic Intern
By the way

If I was so "Freaked Out", I think it would have been worse with my AVR-5805 MKII. Much more difficult to install, yet no problem by myself.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
When you switched from HDMI to component did you change the video settings on the ps3 so it knew you weren't using a HDMI cable anymore? That would explain the black screen on using the "regular" connection since the ps3 was still trying to output via HDMI.

If both games were completely green it almost sounds like the resolution might have been miss set by the ps3 did you play with that? Also, did you think maybe you had gotten a lemon and try to exchange it? What model Sharp do you own? Lastly, did you try a different HDMI cable?

FYI its Blu-ray.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I was looking for a more intelligent response than I'm stupid.
Like I said, I meant no insult and I apologize if you were. The story reminded me of that incident, and I wasn't trying to imply that you're stupid or don't know what you're doing.

Perhaps what the others have suggested here will help you decide if you should give the PS3 another shot, assuming that you are still interested in that gaming system.

S

sailingsearge

Audioholic Intern
Lemon

I have to assume the PS3 was a lemon. I went back to the store and the manger said he wouldn't exchange it. I returned it, and I'm going to buy from Coscto next time. They have a solid exchange policy. I did several resets with the HDMI, and with the standard plugs. I just thought cause my tv was an older Aquos, with 1080i, it might have been a problem.

S

sailingsearge

Audioholic Intern
Ps3

I wanted the system, because for the price, you also have Blue Ray. A player alone is almost as much. I enjoy gaming some days.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
One thing you should definetly look into is a firmware update for your Sharp. Sharp is very good about updating their products when problems arise. I have done many firmware updates on Sharp TV's. All you need is an SD memory card. What's the exact model number of your TV?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I would suggest setting the PS3 to 720p video settings when you do get around to getting a new one as that is the native resolution of your screen (the ps3 will probably pick 1080i). Let us know how it turns out.

S

sailingsearge

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Hi Ho

I'll look into that. My model number is LG-45GD4U.

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
Actually I had a similar problem after the second last update. Every Blu-ray movie I tried didn't work. Try going into your PS3 settings > BD/DVD Settings > BD 1080p 24hz Output (HDMI) and switch it to "OFF". It worked for me. I have a 46' Samsung LCD 1080p and thats what I had to do. I think it has to do with my HDTV putting out 60hz, not sure.

D

Derelict

Audioholic Intern
The TV you have has a 1080p panel but it only accepts up to 1080i input. I have a friend with the exact same Sharp who recently discovered that he cannot get send a 1080p signal into it. Not sure if that helps in anyway...

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The TV you have has a 1080p panel but it only accepts up to 1080i input. I have a friend with the exact same Sharp who recently discovered that he cannot get send a 1080p signal into it. Not sure if that helps in anyway...
The PS3 should actually detect what resolutions your set is capable of during HDMI setup, so it should have seen the fact that it can't do 1080p and set itself to 720p. That is what happened with mine.

D

Derelict

Audioholic Intern
The PS3 should actually detect what resolutions your set is capable of during HDMI setup, so it should have seen the fact that it can't do 1080p and set itself to 720p. That is what happened with mine.
This is true. But in testing his TV's ability to accept 1080p, my friend set the PS3 to send 1080p and he also got no signal. Just making sure this was not happening here.

C

crimsona

Audiophyte
Try exchanging for another PS3 and see if the same thing occurs?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis