Top 10 Guitar Players all genres

jinjuku

jinjuku

I can only speak for the top 10 that are my personal favorites. I do believe that there is no true 'Top Ten'.

Actually I would have to say there should be several top 10 lists.

So in no particular order, here are the guitarists that I listen to (and I am not stopping at 10).

Eric Johnson is my personal favorite. I was disappointed not to see him mentioned more. He seems to have one of the widest ranges of ability, from playing with Via/Satriani to Al Di Meola/Adrian Legg/Lyle Lovett/Chet Atkins. He does artistically and expressively well in so many styles.

Micheal Hedges
Phil Keagy
Pat Metheany
Al Di Meola
Steve Morse
John Williams
Django Riehnhart
Steve Via
Joe Satriani
Paul Gilmour
Paul Gilbert
Micheal Lee Firkens
Roben Ford
Gary More
Neal Schon
Craig Chaciuco
Dime Bag Darrel
Trey Anastasio
Adrian Legg
Leo Kottke
Peter Klett (Candle Box)
John Jennings (Mary Chapin Carpenter)
Andy Timmons
Stu Hamm (I know, a Bassist)
I have to mention Eddie Van Halen.
George Lynch
Chris Duarte
Johny Winter
BB King
Albert King

D

deadenddude

Audiophyte
my top 10 guitarists

Top 10

Randy Rhoads
Yngwie Malmsteen
Danny Gatton
Jason Becker
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Al Di meola
Andy Laroqe
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
John Williams

Honerable mention top 10

David Gilmour
Eddie Van Halen
Grant Green
Carlos Santanna
Kirk Hammet
Django Reindhart
Les Paul
Zakk Wylde
Otis Rush
James Hetfield

Some other favorites

Eric Johnson - Dave Mustaine - Ritchie Blackmore - Steve Vai
Chuck Chuldiner -Grady Martin - Frank Hannon - Joe Satriani
Adrian Smith - George Benson - Nuno Bettencout - John Petrucci
Doc Watson - Marty Freidman - Warren Demartinni - BB King
Kenny Burrell -Mark Knophler - Jake E Lee - Chuck Berry
Lenny Breau - Ed King - George Lynch - Freddie King
Pat Martino -Allen Collins - Slash -Alex Scholnick
Albert King - Tony Ioami - Ron Thal -Gary Hoey
Dimebag Darrell-Brian Setzer - Charlie Christian - Billy Gibbons
Chris Oliva - DickDale - Wes Montgomery - Neil Schon

Last edited:
skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
A lot of names get tossed around in this thread. I agree with most of them. I don't know if this one is in there somewhere (lots of mesages) but how about Lindsey Buckingham. He isn't a flashy soloist in the Hendrix/SRV mold but his guitar arrangements going back all the way to Buckingham-Nicks have been amazing and his occasional finger picking solos make you realize just how good he really is. A disciple of Brian Wilson, he does with guitars what BW did with vocals. I picked up his latest "Under the Skin" and while I don't like the mood very much, his guitar playing is exquisite. Most of LB's work, like Mark Knopfler, is intertwined in a song, but it's well worth listening to.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
A lot of names get tossed around in this thread. I agree with most of them. I don't know if this one is in there somewhere (lots of mesages) but how about Lindsey Buckingham. He isn't a flashy soloist in the Hendrix/SRV mold but his guitar arrangements going back all the way to Buckingham-Nicks have been amazing and his occasional finger picking solos make you realize just how good he really is. A disciple of Brian Wilson, he does with guitars what BW did with vocals. I picked up his latest "Under the Skin" and while I don't like the mood very much, his guitar playing is exquisite. Most of LB's work, like Mark Knopfler, is intertwined in a song, but it's well worth listening to.
I did mention him earlier. I agree that he is one of the truly great players. His solo acoustic performances on Fleetwood Mac's The Dance DVD will convince anyone.

proshot04

proshot04

Audioholic Intern
In my humble opinion the top 10 guitar players are not in order are

Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
SRV
Jimi Hendrix
John Petrucci
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
joe Stump
Yngwie Malmsteen
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Johnson
:cool:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Not totally forgotten, started to listen to some of their recordings again:

Joe Beck
Hiram Bullock
Frank Gambale
Tommy Tedesco
Scott Henderson

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
For variety's sake, a classical list, alphabetically

Gerard Abiton
Dusan Bogdanovic
Aniello Desiderio
Zoran Dukic
Paul Galbraith
Tillman Hoppstock
Pablo Marquez
Stephan Schmidt
David Starobin
Scott Tennant

bonus: duos- the Assad Brothers and the Gruber and Maklar duo

Imo, Desiderio is the most virtuoustic guitarist in the world, period, rock included. (Not talking about anything else here, just chops). Some might say Tennant, Odair Assad, or Hoppstock. Not mentioned, because Im not crazy about him is Kazahito Yamashita. One fan approached Paco de Lucia and exclaimed, "You are the fastest guitarist in the world!", and Paco replied, "Actually... there's this Japanese guy..."

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
I figure if we have top bassists why not guitarists? Anyway here are mine:

(no particular order)

1.Django
2.SRV
3.BillyGibbons
4.Jimmy H.
5.Lee Ritenour
6.Steve Khan
7.Dean Parks
8.Larry Carlton
9.Steve Stevens
10. George Benson

And there are so many more!!!!!
Jimi Hendrix
Jorma Kaukonen

next level
Jerry Garcia
Leo Kottke
David Bromberg

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Never heard of these folks before, Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, excellent musicianship, must get their CDs.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Billy Zoom

Lots of greats picks in this thread but I don't see Billy Zoom of X listed anywhere. A Gretsch Jet never sounded better than in his hands. :cool:

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'd have to agree there is no top ten...when to stop...who to include/exclude. All my favorites are on the list but one (I read only half of the listings): Robert Cray.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Listening to a Steve Howe solo CD last night. Wow!, just wow!:)

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Can't believe I forgot all about Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
These girls are better than most. Li Jie is my favorite. She was only 14 when she played Caprice No 24 here.

Here is what one guy on youtube said about her:
"all these years i tought Yngwie Malmsteen was the best guitarplayer alive. Damned I was wrong. This girl kicks ***."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98y0Q7nLGWk&feature=related

A haunting performance of Recuerdos de la Alhambra, one of the most famous classical guitar pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycrJULVlSY&feature=related

A beautiful performance of Cavatina from the Deer Hunter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcV2UIGFu60

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This seems to be a list more catered towards "10 most popular guitarists" and not 10 most skilled.

While I like a good deal of Eric Claptons music, he is IMO one of the most overrated guitarists in the business. His blues stuff is all standard chord progressions that any decent guitarist can play.

There seems to be alot of great jazz guitarists missing on these lists as well. I am glad to at least see Larry Carlton's name come up but man are you guys missing a lot of true legends such as Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Chieli Minucci, etc. But these type of lists are almost always more about popularity than actual skill.

Here is a prime example of crap:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/

to even have the Nirvana guy on this list simply turns my stomach. :(

Listening to a Steve Howe solo CD last night. Wow!, just wow!
No doubt that Steve Howe is one of the best in rock and you simply don't find people of his skill set in that music genre these days.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
There seems to be alot of great jazz guitarists missing on these lists as well. I am glad to at least see Larry Carlton's name come up but man are you guys missing a lot of true legends such as Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Chieli Minucci, etc.
A lot of great jazz guitarists have been mentioned though, and someone posted a classical guitar list as well.
In jazz, I particularly like Steve Tibbetts and Bill Frissell.
Also, we mustn't forget flamenco. My favorites there include Armik and Johannes Linnestead.

H

Harrison476

Junior Audioholic
YA'll Left this guy OUT????

Well I can certainly see where most of the posters spend thier time listening to certain types of music. And I agree with most of the choices. But if you mention Guitarist You have to at least mention Earl Klug once!!

jinjuku

jinjuku

This seems to be a list more catered towards "10 most popular guitarists" and not 10 most skilled.

While I like a good deal of Eric Claptons music, he is IMO one of the most overrated guitarists in the business. His blues stuff is all standard chord progressions that any decent guitarist can play.

There seems to be alot of great jazz guitarists missing on these lists as well. I am glad to at least see Larry Carlton's name come up but man are you guys missing a lot of true legends such as Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Chieli Minucci, etc. But these type of lists are almost always more about popularity than actual skill.

Here is a prime example of crap:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/

to even have the Nirvana guy on this list simply turns my stomach. :(

No doubt that Steve Howe is one of the best in rock and you simply don't find people of his skill set in that music genre these days.

Yep that Rolling Stone list is pretty incomplete and incorrect. Kirk Hammett is on there but not Eric Johnson, Steve Via, or Satriani?

I guess that is why I never read Rolling Stoned.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
There is much more to playing the guitar than the penatonic scale, three chords, special effects and loud amplifiers.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Here's The List:

A

Al Dimeola, Adrian Belew, Angus Young, Andres Segovia,Alex Lifeson, Ace Frehely, Armik, Antonio Arenas, Albert Collins, Allan Holdsworth, Adrian Legg, Andy Timmons, Andy Laroque, Andy Taylor, Adrian Smith, Allen Collins, Alex Scholnick, Albert King, Aniello Desiderio

B

Billy Gibbons, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Brian May, Barney Kessel, Brad Gillis, Benise, Bill Frisell, Bucky Pizzarelli, Bob Brozman, Brian Setzer

C

Chet Atkins, Carlos Santana, Chuck Berry, Chieli Minucci, carlos Montoya, Chris Thompson, Charlie Byrd, Charlie Christian, Chris Duarte, Chuck Chuldiner, Chris Oliva

D

Django Reinhart, Dean Parks, Dickie Betts, Derek Trucks, Danny Gatton, Dimebag Darell, David Gilmour, Dave Navarre, Doyle Bramhall, Duane Eddy, Richard Dale, David Crosby, Dave Van Ronk, Dennis Budimir, Don Ross, Dave Mustaine, Doc Watson, Dusan Bogdanovic, David Starobin, David Bromberg

E

Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Johnson, Elliot Easton, Eddie Martinez, Elliot Randdall, Ed King, earl Klug

F

Frank Zappa, Frank Marino, Fred Tackett, Frank Hannon, Freddie King, Frank Gambale

G

George Benson, Grant Green, George Lynch, G.E. Smith, Graham Nash, Gary Moore, Gordon Lightfoot, George Van Eps, Georg Wadenius, Grady Martin, Gary Hoey, Gerard Abiton

H

Hughie Thomasson, Herb Ellis, Hound Dog Taylor, Howard Roberts, Hiram Bullock

I

J

Jimmy Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Joe Bonamassa, John fogerty, Jimmy Page, Jerry Garcia, John McLaughlin, John Lee Hooker, Jeff Beck, Joe Pass, Johnny Smith, Jimmy Bruno, Jim Hall, Julian Bream, Joe Beck, Jorma Kaukonen, James Hetfield, Joe Stump, Jon Herrington, Jake E. Lee, John Jennings, John Williams, Johnny Marr, John Scofield, Joe Walsh, John Petrucci, J.J. Cale, John Mayer, Johnny Lang, Johnny Winter, Jeff Watson, James Taylor, John Renbourn, James Burton, Justin Haywood, John Denver, Jim Croce, Jeff Healy

K

Kim Mitchell, Kee Marcello, Kirk Hamett, Kenny Loggins, Kenny Burell, Kim Simmonds, Kenny W. Shepherd

L

Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Leo Kottke, Lowell George, Lenny Breau, Lindsay Buckingham, Leslie West, Les Paul, Linc Wray, Lawrence Juber, Larry Coryell, Li Jie

M

Mark Knopfler, Mike Keneally, Martin Taylor, Mike Bloomfield, Michael A. Batio, Marc Bolan, Mick Mars, Michael Hedges, Manolo Sanivar, Michael Lee Firkens, Marty Friedman

N

Neil Young, Nuno Bettencourt, Narciso Yepes, Neil Schon

O

Ottmar Liebert, Otis Rush

P

Paul Galbraith, Pablo Marquez, Paul Gilmore, Phil Keaggy, Paco De Lucia, Pat Metheny, Peter Frampton, Pepe Romero, Pepe Habichuela, Paul Gilbert, Pete Townshend, Poco Pena, Preston Reed, Peter Green, Pierre Bensusan, Pat Martino, Peter Klett

Q

R

Ron Thal, Roy Buchanan, Robert Fripp, Richie Sambora, Robert Johnson, Roger Waters, Russ Freman, Rhandy Rhoads, Rory Gallagher, Rick Emmett, Richie Blackmore, Robert Cray, Richard Thompson, Robin Trower, Roben Ford

S

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Scott Henderson, Steve Khann, Steve Stevens, Steve Hackett, Slash, Scott Tennant, Steve Tibbetts, Steve Howe, Steve Morse, Shawn Lane, Stephen stills, Steve Waller, Steve Lukather, Steve Rothery, Stephan Schmidt

T

Tony Iommi, Tal Farlow, Ted Nugent, Tim Reynolds, T. Meeks, Tom Scholtz, Tony Joe White, Tommy Shaw, Tony Rice, Trevor Rabin, Trey Anastasio, Tommy Tedesco, Tillman Hoppstock

U

V

Vince Gill, Vivian Campbell, Vernon Reid

W

Warren Haynes, Wes Montgomery, Warren Demartini

X

Y

Yngwie Malmsteen, Yamandu

Z

Zakk Wylde, Zoran Dukic

This is the updated list.

Last edited by a moderator: