Ps3 Price Drop, 80 Gig Ps3.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Apparently Target stores have already dropped the PS3 prices too. Pretty good news for Sony and anyone who has a PS3 especially with Microsofts recent blunder.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
20 gig more for $100? I can get a lot more hard disc for $100 on my own... It kind of ticks me off that the price drop was so soon, but I know it is because they want to encourage buyers.

D

davo

Full Audioholic
20 gig more for $100? I can get a lot more hard disc for $100 on my own...
I wonder if Sony would sell the PS3 minus the HDD for less so you could buy what HDD you want?
I know, I know, wishful thinking...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt it, but I understand that it can be swapped out by the user, and I have seen others simply use a USB drive which I am thinking about doing too considering you can get 500G for $200 or less these days.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
20 gig more for $100? I can get a lot more hard disc for $100 on my own... It kind of ticks me off that the price drop was so soon, but I know it is because they want to encourage buyers.
Well, you also get motorstorm with that 20 gig. I think another rumor I heard was that the 80gig model is not going to have the emotion chip (ps2 chip) in it.

Z

zoran

Audioholic
Well, you also get motorstorm with that 20 gig. I think another rumor I heard was that the 80gig model is not going to have the emotion chip (ps2 chip) in it.
is that good or bad? how abt cell processor?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would guess new production 60g models might not have it either. The 80G model is likely the same one that was released in South Korea not too long ago.

I have completed all of levels 1, 2 and 3 on Motorstorm and I am more than half way done with level 4 races and they are starting to get really tough.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
is that good or bad? how abt cell processor?
Its not good or bad per say. Older models of the ps3 use the emotion chip to run ps2 games so its basically a ps2 inside a ps3. Newer models use emulation which the ps3 can do just fine but is hard to get exactly right.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The European versions of the PS3 use software emulation for PS2 games and Sony already said that not as many games would be compatible with that setup.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I'm not sure how this constitutes a price "drop". All the headlines are "PS3 drops by $100". But that's a half truth at best.

It's still $499 for the "low end" PS3 and $599 for the high end PS3. You *still* can't get one for less than $499. They've just changed what you get for that amount.

Personally, i was semi-excited...i thought the 20GB version was going to be $399....*that* would have made things heat up a bit. It's a step in the right direction, but they need to go further...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure how this constitutes a price "drop". All the headlines are "PS3 drops by $100". But that's a half truth at best.

It's still $499 for the "low end" PS3 and $599 for the high end PS3. You *still* can't get one for less than $499. They've just changed what you get for that amount.

Personally, i was semi-excited...i thought the 20GB version was going to be $399....*that* would have made things heat up a bit. It's a step in the right direction, but they need to go further...
It isn't a half truth - you can get for $499, what I paid $599 for 7 months ago. That IS a price drop, period. For $599, you are getting a larger HD and one game, so what's the issue? Not to mention the 5 free discs...no matter which one you buy. I don't think the 20G even exists anymore...and rightfully so since very few people bought it despite complaints about pricing.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
They canceled the 20gig lower version of the ps3 so they cant drop it down. Besides it seems as if the price drop is working as the PS3 is outselling all other consoles on amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_1/002-6947030-3192042
I'm not sure it's "working" yet, but i do hope this sparks some sales for PS3's. Look at the prices for the consoles on Amazon:
Current prices (new console)
PS3: $499
Wii: $404(!)
360: $399

j_garcia said:
It isn't a half truth - you can get for $499, what I paid $599 for 7 months ago. That IS a price drop, period. For $599, you are getting a larger HD and one game, so what's the issue?
I'm not saying it's not a good value or it is, just that the prices were $499/$599 and i expected them to be $399/$499 based on the title - "PS3 drops $100". The article the OP linked isn't misleading...the one i read in the WSJ was the first i read about it:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118394791259560639-search.html?KEYWORDS=sony+PS3&COLLECTION=wsjie/6month

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If they still had the 20g version, it would have been $399, since the $100 price drop applies to all Blu-ray players, but they don't make it anymore.

Someone on another forum mentioned that they called their local game shop to confirm the price drop and the shop mentioned they had sold 5 today alone, so it IS having an effect. It is a much more compelling deal for those on the fence.

C

chris6878

Audioholic
THe 20 gig was a waste with no hdmi out. THe 80 gig is the same as the 60 just 20 more gigis and a game. woopty doo. I say go with the 60 gig, a free extra controller and 5 blu rays. Great deal imo!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
20G had HDMI. It was said that it wouldn't but that really didn't make any sense with the capabilities, so it did. The only things it lacked besides the HD size were the card reader and WiFi, both of which could be added via USB.

Last edited:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
THe 20 gig was a waste with no hdmi out. THe 80 gig is the same as the 60 just 20 more gigis and a game. woopty doo. I say go with the 60 gig, a free extra controller and 5 blu rays. Great deal imo!
The 20gig had an HDMI out. I don't know where you read it didn't but it did. It didn't have wireless internet and a card reader though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis