Bose QuietComfort 2 vs 3

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
Without getting into the "bose sucks" or whatever.. if one was to choose a pair.. which one would you choose? The QC2 or the new QC3? Leave the price out of the equation..

If you really need more details as to why I have one those two options then you can PM me. :) Thanks in advance.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Whatever you do... dont pay retail!!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm going to assume that the QC3 is the newer model and presumably more advanced than the QC2 so I would go for that one unless the price difference doesn't justify the few added features.

I'd also be willing to bet that the Bose are the choice because you can get them substantially below retail through a friend or retailer.

I don't know much about headphones in general (although I own and like the Sony MDR-v6) but I have tried the Bose headphones. My impression was that they sound reasonably good and are super light and comfortable. But I also felt that they were rather flimsy and would probably break in short order. Given that the Bose were twice as much as the Sony (retail) I opted to buy the Sony.

If those are anything like their speakers, they change the model numbers every couple of years without changing much, if anything, in the design, so I'd opt for the cheaper QC2s...

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
If those are anything like their speakers, they change the model numbers every couple of years without changing much, if anything, in the design, so I'd opt for the cheaper QC2s...
well.. price is not a problem.. okay heres the story.. I got the triports several years ago as a present and I am on my xth pair.. (they just kept breaking at the hinges).. bose kept replacing them with a new pair.. they finally said that they would just upgrade me to the QC2 or QC3 for free.. my question is which one should I go for...

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I threw my money away on a pair of Triports once. They were some of the worst sounding headphones I have ever heard. For $150, they hardly sounded any better than the 'phones that come with a $10 portable CD player.:(

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
If I could have done everything all over again.. I would have gone with either the Sony MDR-V6, MDR-V600, or the MDR-V900...

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Since they are for free, go with the QC3's. They are more expensive.
Then what I would do, is put them on ebay, and get $250-$300 for them (going price).
Then take $100-$150 of that, and buy a pair of Sennheiser.

Or just stick with the QC3's.

I have a friend who went with the sony V6, he went through 3 pairs in 4 months. And 1 pair of the V600. Luckily he had a good return policy, and ended up returning all of them, and went with a Sennheiser.

Last edited:
superstar

superstar

Junior Audioholic
A friend decided to get the Bose headphones as well and it's either his luck or Bose's craftsmanship, the headphones kept breaking about 1 headphone/month, he's own his 3rd one with the QC3. Like someone suggested, get the most expensive one, sell it and get something better.

Reorx is right - you have a golden opportunity here. Don't even take the new ones out of the box, just pop them on eBay as NEW and sell them then buy some other headphones.

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
Reorx is right - you have a golden opportunity here. Don't even take the new ones out of the box, just pop them on eBay as NEW and sell them then buy some other headphones.
What headphones would you recommend?

majorloser

majorloser

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Since we're talking about noise cancelling headphones I'd go with the QC2's. They go around the ear vs. on the ear. This will give you a better seal an allow for less sound to get to the ear canal, thus reducing the amount of active noise reduction needed. It's the same as hearing protection. Ear plugs are not as effective as full surround ear muffs.

I personally have used some noice cancelling earbuds while flying with good success (don't remember the brand, maybe JVC???).

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Well it depends on what you are looking for. Closed or open design.

I took 5 co-workers to a audioshop at lunch about 1 month ago, and everybody pretty much settled on the Sennheiser HD280Pro. But that is a closed design. Which is what I prefer. I'd rather not hear anything else around me, at all. Especially at work. To many annoying people sitting around me.

This link is pretty decent. They have 3 of the headphones I listened to. The AKG, Grado, and Sennheiser. The AKG emphasized the bass to much, the Grado wasnt as detailed, the Sennheiser had the most accurate representation. Everything I listened to though, both opened and closed design, was sub $200.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-application/our-10-best-headphones/

There was also a bunch of reviews on the audioholics website. Check them out.

After you do all your reading, the best advice I can give; Find a pro shop that has a variety of headphones, bring some music and go for a listen.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Do you want noise cancelling?

If you fly a lot, then I'd say get the QC2 version. I flew to and from Japan twice with a pair of QC1, and I thought that they were fantastic. It was amazing how much of the airplane noise they blocked out, and they remained comfortable (even when wearing my glasses) for several hours. The QC2 seem to be about the same but with better ergonomics. As you may know, though, those systems don't work well for anything but constant droning sounds. For example, it won't block out people talking (just go to a Bose store and try a pair on with people around).

If you just want good headphones, then yeah, do what others have said...get the most expensive set, sell them, and get something that you want.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
QC2

I MUCH prefer around the ear designs. Way more comfortable.

A

aec

Enthusiast
I have both of the QC 2s and 3s. Whenever I fly I use the QC2s. I let me 8 yr old son use the other ones as he is more immune to the noise on planes. They shut out a good bit of the engine noise and conversation (and also send a message to adjoining passengers that I want my space, what little I am given for my ticket). As stated in previous posts, the QC2s go over the ear and seal out a lot. The 3s go over the ear and do not seal out the noise as well, though they are lighter and bit more comfortable. I bought the QC2s strictly for travel. I had to listen to someone drone on for 2 1/2 hours on a flight down to Fla and on the way back a baby cried from wheels up to wheels down. I have not traveled w/out the headphones since that time and they make the Ipod sound pretty good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis