Gears of War in Surround Sound

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Has anyone played the Xbox 360 game gears of war connected to a home theater setup?

I'm thinking of getting a 360 and connecting it to my theater, and I saw the trailer for Gears of War, and have been drooling over it ever since.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Everything I've been playing on the PS3 is at least 5.1, with Resistance:Fall of Man being 7.1. It REALLY does add to the games.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
GoW rocks! Very, very well done. I just started playing it but so far, all I can say is wow!

kicknsupra

kicknsupra

Audioholic
gears has some of the best sound on a game i have ever heard

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I play it on my 7.1 setup using DD-EX decoders and it's awesome, you will not be dissapointed.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I've been a hard core PC gamer since the Quake II. In the past I had nothing but disdain for console games. But when I saw the video for GOW I knew I had just seen the death knell for PC gaming. Plus, with the proliferation of consoles and the standardization of their platforms, the days of constantly upgrading the PC every other year was probably on its way out.

Some games will always be better to play on the PC than a console in my opinion. RTS games immediately come to mind.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
gears has some of the best sound on a game i have ever heard
To bad the game itself sucks! Anyone heard of more than 5 levels, or multiplayer games other than deathmatch, or having a decent way to play leveled games with your friends? And Finally, ALL I WANT TO DO IS JUMP! WHY CANT I JUMP??? :(

With that being said, there are plenty of other games with good sound.

Kyle Lorenz

Kyle Lorenz

Junior Audioholic
A friend of mine brought over his Xbox 360 along with Gear of War the other day and all i can say is wow! You could hear where you're getting shot from, the ground crunching when you walk on it, buildings getting blown apart from gunfire and shooting a gun made my subs jump. I loved it. I want a Xbox 360 now:(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Motorstorm on the PS3 has been one of my favorites, with all the other cars buzzing around in your ears on either side, and the sound of your own motor. It is like being there...

Resistance is very cool too, as you can hear things going on all around you too.

Def Jam Icon is fun too, with music going on up front and SFX going on all around...

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Resistance fall of man is kickass is 7.1 surround i actually get scared playing at night cuz i hear all the extra sounds around me

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
The reader's choice for IGN's 'Best of 2006: Xbox 360: Best Use of Sound' was GoW, so I imagine it's pretty sweet. IGN gave the award to "F.E.A.R.", though.

The best sound on PS3 award went to "Resistance", and on Xbox to "Black", which is apparently a pretty sweet FPS; I just won it real cheap on eBay, and I can't wait to play it in surround sound! IGN states: "Black makes one of the most compelling arguments in support of owning a 5.1 digital surround sound setup for gaming." ...I'm so pumped right now!

Surround sound re-defined my love for games. I find myself replaying all my old games that I didn't have much interest in anymore because the use of sound (especially surround) adds so much more to the experience!

mech

mech

Audioholic Intern
To bad the game itself sucks! Anyone heard of more than 5 levels, or multiplayer games other than deathmatch, or having a decent way to play leveled games with your friends? And Finally, ALL I WANT TO DO IS JUMP! WHY CANT I JUMP??? :(

With that being said, there are plenty of other games with good sound.
Wow, I would have to completely disagree with your assessment of this game. GOW is pretty awsome in CO-OP mode, and my friend and I had a great time playing it. As for the multiplayer, it's a matter of taste, sure there could be a couple more variations, but a good game of deathmatch or team deathmatch of GOW is damn fun. Lighten up it's a FPS!! By the way, there is a hint of Sony Fan Boy smell to your post. :D

thejumbo

thejumbo

Audiophyte
The first time I played GOW was in the theater here at work: JVC HD1 projector on a Stewart Firehawk 110" screen with Paradigm Reference 6.1.

It exceded my expecations handily. What great use of sound to immerse a gamer! I love how the surround is dynamic and ever changing - allowing you to navigate and track enemies using sound as well as visuals. Awesome.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
5.1 / 7.1 surround sound heaven

If you all think GoW sounds good over a SS system :p , wait till you hear Halo 3 :eek: . I just got through playing MM in the Beta for 3.3 weeks last Sunday :D . The sounds are so life like, even for a Beta! Now must wait until September 25, to hear the Story mode in SS :( .

hyghwayman / Lieutenant - Grade 2

Have a great day,
hyghwayman

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
If you all think GoW sounds good over a SS system :p , wait till you hear Halo 3 :eek: . I just got through playing MM in the Beta for 3.3 weeks last Sunday :D . The sounds are so life like, even for a Beta! Now must wait until September 25, to hear the Story mode in SS :( .

hyghwayman / Lieutenant - Grade 2

Have a great day,
hyghwayman
I can vouch for this, the weapons in the Halo 3 Beta sounded amazing, almost life-like.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
And Finally, ALL I WANT TO DO IS JUMP! WHY CANT I JUMP??? :(
I totally disagree here. I hate "jumpers" in HL2: Deathmatch.

Completely annoying, completely unrealistic. Constantly jumping up and down, up and down, non-stop during matches (usually using a glitch/cheat to do it effortlessly only to be harder to headshot...I understand the benefit, I don't aggree with the practice, however).

I love that there is no jumping, everyones feet are on the ground at all time...just as they should be. Makes it that much more "real".

nasd90

nasd90

Audioholic
Wow, I would have to completely disagree with your assessment of this game. GOW is pretty awsome in CO-OP mode, and my friend and I had a great time playing it. As for the multiplayer, it's a matter of taste, sure there could be a couple more variations, but a good game of deathmatch or team deathmatch of GOW is damn fun. Lighten up it's a FPS!! By the way, there is a hint of Sony Fan Boy smell to your post. :D
First off, it's not a FPS... IT's A THIRD PERSON SHOOTER.... HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Second, Halo 3 in surround sound is awesome, I just got done with it last week as well. Huge FEAR fan, that's one of the best campaigns ever made.

Nick

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis