Racing game fans...a word or two on PS3 racing

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OK, just one word: WOW. I had been disappointed with some of the release titles so far so this weekend I downloaded the Gran Turismo HD demo, Motorstorm and Formula One Championship Edition. Also rented NFS:Carbon. Carbon looks great, drives OK, but got old for me real quick. Entertaining, but not entirely fun.

I've always been disappointed with racing video games, but I have to say GT HD is very impressive. It still lacks a little in terms of connecting you to the car and having more realistic levels of handling, but overall it is a gorgeous looking game with some impressive physics. Still not enough like a real driving experience, but it at least does a good job. The cars look spectacular and the selection of cars is great for just a demo - Evo IX, R34 Skyline, Lotus Elise, Ferrari 599 Fiorano, and modified versions of all of the cars (about 24 in all?) The limitation? Only one course, but at least you can run it in both directions.

F1 - Holy crap, now this game is worth the price of admission. I was floored by this game. Graphics are not at the same level as GT, but still very, very good, and the overall game feel (same controls as GT) is excellent. There is a STEEP learning curve with GT IMO (you learn how the game works, not what the real cars can do). With F1, you can just pick it up and start playing competitively right away. The sensation of speed is more realistic, as is the view from the cockpit. With all the settings it is a much more enjoyable game. My daughter was able to pick it up and complete a race the very first time, and she enjoyed it. The sound is amazing too. What a blast!!

My real surprise was Motorstorm - the first game I saw for the PS3 in person. It actually helped me decide to buy one... On the surface, the game is your basic drive a 4wd (or motorcycle) in the desert and force your way to the front, but it turns out to be a lot more fun than I expected. The physics are amazing and feel very accurate, controls are easy to learn and while it is very fast paced, it ends up being very fun. The graphics are the best part on this one - the fist time I've seen the example of what "thousands" of parts vs hundreds means on the PS3. When you crash, damage looks realistic and when you crash BIG (and you will) parts fly everywhere. Not as much fun as F1, but still a solid game with high fun factor. I think I picked the wrong launch titles when I picked up the PS3... It is the typical race-boost-crash type game, but a very fun variation in my book.

I should also mention that the ability to download these demos has been a HUGE plus with the PS3 for me. GT HD, F1 and Motorstorm demos were all FREE, and give you a good chance to get a feel for the game before you buy.

Now Sheep, go get a PS3!!

Last edited:
apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
i enjoyed carbon, but it is a shame they did not integrate tilt sensing into it, also it gets boring at times

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I am intrigued by your descriptions of the games. How is "feel" transmitted to the player? Is a steering well used? I am a total game newbie having never owned a game console and well into middle age. All that said, I am a "car guy" and love the feel of finely tuned car.

Nick

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, actual feel is the one thing missing since the new controllers lack vibration (games too?). The PS2 controllers had vibration feedback that added a lot to games like this, but the games themselves weren't always that good. (there is an adapter coming out to use the PS2 controllers with the PS3, but if the games no longer have vibration code in them, that may be irrelevant). By feel I mean how the cars react to your input on the controller - most games behave artificially in how they respond to the input in terms of what they do in that a real car on a road would not behave the same way. They have captured it to some extent, but still not quite there. They've nailed the graphics though. Considering these are the first racing games for the PS3, and demos at that, I'll be looking forward to what is to come.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going to have to disagree with your Gran Turismo assessment.

I own both GT3 and GT4 and think they are the most realistic driving simulator you can buy. You have you learn how the game works in order to succeed. It isn't arcade style like Carbon, Most Wanted, and a handful of others. Also, they cater to more then 1 type of car. It is by far the most complicated, and hands on of any game out there. Tuning the cars can take up to hours to get it right, it isn't just slide the bar on the hp meter to 10 and expect the car to fly.

I personally think you need more experience with racing games before you make assessments.

SheepStar

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
GT HD looks beautiful (watched some trailers online a few months ago). I wish I could try out that demo!! (I agree, that's a great feature on the PS3!)

I know a lot of you GT fans hate Forza, but it really did do a great job of putting real-world handling/physics into the game. It had a pretty steep learning curve, too. I don't have much experience with the newer GT games, though, so I can't really compare the feel of the two. Forza 2 releases pretty soon, though, and should be outstanding. You should buy a 360 and give it a try, JG.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am familiar with GT3 and 4 and my assessment stands. All of the tweak options like suspension are not available on the GT HD demo....the only tweak is tires and it makes little difference. The tracks are dead nuts accurate but they haven't quite gotten the car feel right. It was the same complaint for me with 3 and 4.

You want real? TOCA.

Carbon has a good selection of cars actually, but the game itself is boring.

Last edited:
N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the response. I probably won't delve into the games at this point. I think I will go drive around some exit ramps too fast with my TSX. There probably is some sand on the ramps here and there from the last snow fall and that always gets the Adrenalin pumping when one hits it.

Nick

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
Though not on PS3 game I am a big fan of Forza motorsport and I'm looking forward to Forza Motorsport 2.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Wafflesomd said:
GT2 was better than 3,5 in my opinion.
I liked GT3 the most, but wish it had GT4's car selection.

SheepStar

D

davo

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
I liked GT3 the most, but wish it had GT4's car selection.

SheepStar
How are you going with GT4? I'm 93.4% complete, just mopping up the last of the manufactures races. Oh, and the last driving mission!!!(one day):cool:
I agree with what you said about it been one of if not the best driving simulator there is. There are so many tweaks you can do to work the nuances in the car as well your driving style, it keeps me going for hours.

Last edited:
Kyle Lorenz

Kyle Lorenz

Junior Audioholic
Slats said:
Though not on PS3 game I am a big fan of Forza motorsport and I'm looking forward to Forza Motorsport 2.
Same here, I can't wait to play Forza Motorsport 2 as the first one was excellent. All I need is a Xbox 360:(

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
Gran Turismo HD is, by far, the best looking console game to date. I also agree with Sheep that Gran Turismo always feels like the most realistic driving game series. To bad Gran Turismo games never have the extra features and options as other racing games do. Though I do keep asking myself, how is this game free with graphics this good?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
davo said:
How are you going with GT4? I'm 93.4% complete, just mopping up the last of the manufactures races. Oh, and the last driving mission!!!(one day):cool:
I agree with what you said about it been one of if not the best driving simulator there is. There are so many tweaks you can do to work the nuances in the car as well your driving style, it keeps me going for hours.
I actually stopped playing it like 8 percent in. Beating GT3 took alot out of me, and the game drags. The NFS series keeps my attention better then the Gran Turismo series. Plus, I like the engine noises in the NFS games Vs GT.

SheepStar

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
The NFS series is definitely an all-time favorite. Sheep, have you played both Most Wanted and Carbon? I haven't played Carbon yet, and I'm wondering if it's any better than Most Wanted.

D

davo

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
Beating GT3 took alot out of me, and the game drags.

Plus, I like the engine noises in the NFS games Vs GT.

SheepStar
I do know what you mean. My nephew(5 yrs old) deleted my memory card when I was approx 40% complete on GT3.... Of course I started again!!

Yeah, I think the engine noise needs to be replicated better. It all adds to the experience. The cars in GT sound pretty whimpy, though I liked the air flow effects.
I guess the best thing about GT4 for me was racing at Le Mans in genuine Le Mans winning cars(Audi R8, Bently Speed 8, Toyota Minolta, Mercedes Sauber etc..:D :D )

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
angstadt530 said:
The NFS series is definitely an all-time favorite. Sheep, have you played both Most Wanted and Carbon? I haven't played Carbon yet, and I'm wondering if it's any better than Most Wanted.
Yep, both. They're very different. Carbon has drifting in it, and a lot more cars. It's also a night time game.

Basically, in MW you complete races and move up the black list. In carbon, you take over territory and challenge rival gangs. There is a new form of race called canyon racing, which is a mix between drifting and a sprint. It's actually 2 races; first time you follow the opponent and have to stay as close as possible to him or pass him and hold it for 10 seconds. The closer you stay, the more points your build up. If you pass him and hold it, you Automatically win the race (Both parts). The second race you are in front, and you have to make it to the end before he eats away all the points you built up in the first part. If they pass you and hold it for 10 seconds, they automatically win.

SheepStar

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I should also mention that the ability to download these demos has been a HUGE plus with the PS3 for me. GT HD, F1 and Motorstorm demos were all FREE, and give you a good chance to get a feel for the game before you buy.
I've only tried the RR7 demo. That was fun, but not a very realistic game. I'll have to get the Motorstorm and GT demos. Personally, I won't be buying any racing games until they come out with a steering wheel for the PS3. To me, racing games are always about being as realistic as I can get. A thumb controller is driving.

I only played the last GT a couple of times, because for some stupid reason my steering wheel didn't work quite right with it. Just turning the wheel a little bit made the car go sideways. So I completely wasted the money I spent on it. Sucks cuz I'm a huge Mustang fan, and they had the new S197 Mustang in that game. Oh well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I rented Motorstorm and man is it ever fun with all the available vehicles. I will definitely be buying this one. It isn't exactly 100% realistic, but it IS very, very fun. The sound kicks butt on this game too.

I tried the RR7 demo and thought it sucked - yes fun, but so unrealistic that it wasn't something that I would continue to play, and even the graphics weren't that impressive after seeing GT-HD and Motorstorm. I deleted that one after a few plays. Same with Full Auto demo - fun, but not something that would keep me entertained for long.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis