Official Need For Speed series thread!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yodle,

My favorite racing games right now are all from the Need For Speed series. Normally I find the driving simulation gaudy, but Gran-Tursimo just puts me to sleep. In GT3 they wouldn't let you paint your car after your bought it, and all the engine sounds stank.

Anyone else play these religiously like I do? If you have any good screenshots from them please post!

SheepStar

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I loved the earlier NFS games. My first racing game was "The Need For Speed SE" and it ran on Windows 95. I bought all of them up through NFS Porsche 2000 which wasn't that great. My favorites were definetely High Stakes and NFS 3. I remember playing them for hours on end in hot pursuit mode with friends in split screen.

I can't get any of the older games to work in XP. I think the problem is hardware related though. The games don't recognize any newer hardware.

I have only played the demo versions of the new games and they weren't all that exciting for me.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
Sheep, do you have the full set-up with the racing wheel and whatnot?

My little bro is really into the Gran Turismo games, but for me, they bore me after a while.

I currently don't own any for my 360, but I have Demo'd Test Drive Unlimited and thought it was pretty decent.

If I do the racing though, I'd think I'd like it more if I could get a great racing wheel. If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep, do you have the full set-up with the racing wheel and whatnot?

My little bro is really into the Gran Turismo games, but for me, they bore me after a while.

I currently don't own any for my 360, but I have Demo'd Test Drive Unlimited and thought it was pretty decent.

If I do the racing though, I'd think I'd like it more if I could get a great racing wheel. If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears.
Nope, I'm a keyboard guy. Everyone at the LAN parties use controllers, but I smoke them every time. You just need to get used to a particular interface and you can beat the game.

One thing about steering wheels, is they require much more physical movement. With my keyboard, all I have to do it tap the key and the car is turning full left. With a steering wheel, you need to physically turn the entire thing for the same effect. You can also switched between keys very fast with a keyboard. With these advantages, it's fairly easy to do well.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I loved the earlier NFS games. My first racing game was "The Need For Speed SE" and it ran on Windows 95. I bought all of them up through NFS Porsche 2000 which wasn't that great. My favorites were definetely High Stakes and NFS 3. I remember playing them for hours on end in hot pursuit mode with friends in split screen.

I can't get any of the older games to work in XP. I think the problem is hardware related though. The games don't recognize any newer hardware.

I have only played the demo versions of the new games and they weren't all that exciting for me.
Have you played any of the new racing games? Carbon has some parts where it became VERY annoying. Example: You finish a hard race but after once it's over, you have to defend your territory in another race, and sometimes you have to defend it 2 or 3 times in a row. You need to upgrade the car in order to stand a chance in the races, but you can't because your stuck racing. Pretty frickin' annoying.

Also, the drift engine isn't realistic.

Anywho, where's a couple screen shots from Carbon and Most Wanted.

SheepStar

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I loved the NFS series!

My favorite was NFS: Most Wanted. A litte arcade-like, but man was it a relief from NFS:U2.

I played Carbon

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I loved the NFS series!

My favorite was NFS: Most Wanted. A litte arcade-like, but man was it a relief from NFS:U2.

I played Carbon
What did you think of Carbon?

SheepStar

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I too have played almost all of them.
Need for Speed(pre special edition nomenclature) Played this one with friend over a dial-up modem connection.
Need for Speed 2
Need for Speed 3
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 1 and 2
Need for Speed Underground 1 and 2
Need for speed Most Wanted
Need for Speed Carbon

I absolutely loved Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 and Need for speed Most Wanted. I loved running from the cops.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Has anyone else seen the online trailer for Need for Speed 2007 yet? It looks very nice. The website is counting down to May 31, but I'm not sure if that's the release date. I guess I could trade in all my other need for speeds for this one!
Here's the website to the teaser trailer:
http://www.ea.com/nfs/carbon/

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I loved NFS from II SE to porsche unleashed. I own them all and play them by times. The new need for speed games are simply unrealistic and they just tend to attract young people with "yo-****-man" cars and upgrades. Hot Pursuit 2 was great too.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Has anyone else seen the online trailer for Need for Speed 2007 yet? It looks very nice. The website is counting down to May 31, but I'm not sure if that's the release date. I guess I could trade in all my other need for speeds for this one!
Here's the website to the teaser trailer:
http://www.ea.com/nfs/carbon/
OMG?! I NEW NFS game? Carbon just came out...

Is May 31st the release date, or when we'll get more information?

I'm getting my hands on this ASAP.

SheepStar

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
Carbon came out right after Most Wanted, too. I think NFS games are being released way to quickly. I saw the teaser for the new one, "ProStreet", on gametrailers.com. The release date is set for Nov 2007.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Games decoded in Dolby digital or DTS?

Question for those of you with Need for Speed Carbon on the PS3 or the Xbox360 connected to a receiver. Does your receiver decode this particular game in Dolby digital or DTS? I'm asking because mine gets decoded in DTS and that just seemed unusual.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
NFS Series

My personal favorite is NFS Underground, the first one. I liked number two as well, but it just wasn't as fun to play as underground one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis