Why Bi-wiring Makes No Sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Now, it happens for a very short time period, right? And, only under those specific conditions when the signals, low and high in the same speaker are exactly the same level, right? And, when signals are other than this, these effects are much smaller, right?

Yes, that 5 ft in shift is huge, by the calculations you presented. This is testable as it is not a small shift by any means. Now, can we react to such a very short time period, with music? after all, a shift from left to center is huge. I cannot ever recall such an event, even though my memory is zilch;)
So, I am trying to get a handle on this huge shift being audible.

Don't forget, the calcs were based on a 5% cable loss, which is the upper bound normally considered. Real losses using a nice guage wire will be less, the 6 to 12 inches I stated. So that shift is more likely to fall below the radar for most.

Also as I stated, I used contrived signals to hear it..not actual music. That's one of the reasons I personally do not go to the trouble to biwire, nor do I recommend it to most people. But I recognize it's applicability.

Cheers, John

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
gene said:
Um sticking a chair in the room will have a more profound effect on system frequency and amplitude response :D
I concur.
gene said:
Seriously when any installer worth his/her salt calibrates a system, they do so on a per channel basis first with an accurate SPL meter, and then with an RTA. Any good processor has time alignment adjustments in .1ft increments and .5dB level steps.
The expert guy wanted to do that here, but he did not have a very good technical understanding of what it does.
gene said:
Also an installer should never set up a system for a single sweet spot IMO. Its impractical and a waste of not being able to share an equally good experience with friends/family.
Bingo...give that man a ceeegar...
That is and will always be my point. I do not wish to sit in a sweetspot to listen to music, I will not exclude anybody to do so, and this is useless in a 450 seat venue.

Nonetheless, there are those who do indeed do this, and it is they who would benefit the most from this biwire up the wazoo analysis....not the typical person who peruses this site..

gene said:
I've never seen a .2dB variance between speakers b/c of cabling.
You won't. You do not have the proper stimulus to force it, nor the proper measurement equipment to find it. And personally, I do not consider it worthwhile to try to measure it.

gene said:
If you send me a formal writeup on "Biwiring" with measurements, graphs, maths, etc, via email, I'd like to sit down, print it out and go over it..
I'm waiting for some specific wire to arrive, as I am prepping to do another round of tests on this topic. I'm not ready for prime time..

Cheers, John

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Rod, you old warhorse. How's it going down there? Long time no speak..

rode said:
Simulations of bi-wiring do show that there are some benefits, and although easily simulated and (somewhat less easily) measured, audibility is not proven.

The simulations as run, do indeed show results in the mud, audibility certainly arguable..when I see that type of analysis, I cringe..

rode said:
I ran a simulation based on jneutron's (perfectly valid) claim that DC can be used for one signal in the cable. As predicted (and amply demonstrated), this does indeed cause distortion of the power waveform of the resistive component of the cable. Zero argument there - this much should be quite obvious to anyone reasonably technical ... as hinted at by jneutron.
Be careful, don't simulate without branches.

rode said:
What is not intuitively obvious is that even though the power waveform of cable dissipation is distorted, this does not affect the voltage applied to the load - the sinewave (or complex waveform) component remains at the same level and distortion with or without the DC (or low frequency AC), and level is affected only by the cable's series resistance.
As I stated earlier, the complex waveform will not be distorted at all when a single non branched load is on the other end..your simulation is in error because you cannot properly simulate what I speak of, powerloss induced by the branched load.

Unfortunately, you are not looking at the problem from a conservation of energy approach, and your simulations are incapable of doing this.

rode said:
Having only become aware of this thread a couple of hours ago, I may have missed something - if so please let me know (yeah, like you wouldn't :D )
:p
rode said:
In the meantime, yes, having both signals flowing in the same cable will cause the power dissipation waveform of the cable to become distorted, but it does not affect the voltage waveform applied to the load one iota.
Alas, you've missed the crux..go back to the pic of the single amp with both cases, and examine the instantaneous power loss. The RMS loss remains identical, which is what your simulation shows..but you cannot simulate the complex case. I do not believe your simulation software has the necessary handles for the task..

Cheers, John

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Nick250 said:
I do not understand all the mumbo jumbo and calculations. Then after all that and at 150 posts, we got to the part where it was proclaimed that a single run of fatter speaker wire takes care takes care of any of bi-wire sonic issues, real or imagined which has been written about and discussed a zillion times before. No offense intended, it was just bizarre.

Nick
No offense taken.

A proclamation that a single fatter run "takes care of it" is an incorrect one. Such is not the case.

A larger guage wire will reduce the effect, not eliminate it. Biwiring eliminates it.

For the vast bulk of people, including me, any effect is not noticeable, therefore biwiring is not a valid technique. If a system/operator is sensitive to the issue, biwiring is a useful alternative to larger guage.

And I have not seen previous discussions which were valid, nevermind a zillion times before.

Cheers, John

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
What an odd thing..

For some reason, I'm no longer able to edit a post..what's going on here? The code at the bottom left says I may edit...:confused:

edit: now I can edit this one, but no others. Did you just apply a timer for edits? I do not recall this before..

I also note that while I am subscribed to this thread, I've not received any e-mails.

Rod:

Go to post 146 and 147. Compare the dissipations and the summation for case #2, which is the excel txt in 147. Oh, and please pardon the ellipses...my drawing program doesn't have sine capability.

Cheers, John

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Same here. It appears they put a time limit on post editing.

For the emails, you have to go to Edit Options in your User CP and change your email notification type.

Once you change it, you have to resubscribe to any threads you want the new notification to apply to.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
jneutron said:
No offense taken.

A proclamation that a single fatter run "takes care of it" is an incorrect one. Such is not the case.

A larger guage wire will reduce the effect, not eliminate it. Biwiring eliminates it.

For the vast bulk of people, including me, any effect is not noticeable, therefore biwiring is not a valid technique. If a system/operator is sensitive to the issue, biwiring is a useful alternative to larger guage.

And I have not seen previous discussions which were valid, nevermind a zillion times before.

Cheers, John
Many thousands of posts is more like it. So we disagree, I can live with that. ;)

Nick

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
jonnythan said:
Same here. It appears they put a time limit on post editing.

For the emails, you have to go to Edit Options in your User CP and change your email notification type.

Once you change it, you have to resubscribe to any threads you want the new notification to apply to.
Ah...thanks for the sanity check..I thought maybe I didn't shower this morning or sumptin..

e-mail....thanks..I subscribed to the thread, but didn't realize there was another level..hey, I've only been here since '04..sheeesh..

Thanks

Cheers, John

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
edit: now I can edit this one, but no others. Did you just apply a timer for edits? I do not recall this before..
This is a new feature we implemented thanks to some problematic posters editing and/or deleting posts a year after they orginiated them and dismantling threads :mad:

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Nick250 said:
Many thousands of posts is more like it. So we disagree, I can live with that. ;)

Nick
Yah, me too..

I should have specified better. There has never been a post on any forum anywhere, which addresses biwiring with respect to dissipation modulation. (unless you count mine.) I've seen many which argue back and forth with knee jerk reactions and silly tech sounding explanations. But never an accurate technical posting or argument based on solid modelling and computations.

If there ain't no equations, it ain't technical enough...:) graphs, drawings, spreadsheets, gotta have em...

Cheers, John

I can feel the hand of a stranger....and it's tightening around my throat...heaven help me, heaven help me...

Matty told Hatty...bout a thang she saw....had two big horns, and a wooly jaw...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jneutron said:
Don't forget, the calcs were based on a 5% cable loss, which is the upper bound normally considered. Real losses using a nice guage wire will be less, the 6 to 12 inches I stated. So that shift is more likely to fall below the radar for most.
Also as I stated, I used contrived signals to hear it..not actual music. That's one of the reasons I personally do not go to the trouble to biwire, nor do I recommend it to most people. But I recognize it's applicability.
Cheers, John

If you don't mind, further inquiry to fill that empty sponge on shoulder:D
Worst case analysis is good so we can see what, and when, the problem is at hand. And special signals are fine to get this across, like Nordman, perhaps, or to show absolute polarity;) ?

Now my followup questions.
This 5 ft of image shift under this condition doesn't happen just by itself, in one speaker as the image position is the result of two speakers to create that illusion of soundstage, right?

So, would or could your condition of equal voltages of low and high be happening in only one channel/speaker and not the other channel/speaker? If yes, I don't see why as the signals are trying to create a location, an image in space. Even if the other channel is of a lesser voltage, would still be equal to the low and high driver, no? If so, then bot channels would experience about the same power dissipation and same spl drop and then the image location would not move that 5 ft, bit some smaller delta between the two channels? Maybe that is why it is just not noticeable?

Obviously, to me at least, the images created do not dance around constantly or otherwise but is rather stable, whether it is consistently off a ft or not. What am I missing? I must be missing something. Thanks.

M

mduda

Audiophyte
Gene and I wrote an article about this techno-nonsense, "Rubbing the Snake Oil Out of Speaker Cables". I believe it's still hosted on this site.

Buyer beware!

Best,
Mike

R

rode

Enthusiast
Hi John - long time no speak.

Ok, having looked at jneutron's previous diagrams and text file, I have performed a much more rigorous simulation, and the measured difference remains effectively zero.

The test circuit consisted of a pair of voltage generators, both producing 10V peak. One at 100Hz, the other at 1kHz. These feed a simple 6dB crossover (1kHz), with each branch having an 8 ohm load, via a 'speaker cable'.

High frequency results were then filtered using a 10th order Butterworth high-pass filter (800Hz) so that the HF signal could be seen in isolation ... without the LF making a mess of the graph, and thereby making accurate measurement impossible. The filter was implemented using a Laplace transfer function should anyone be interested. ;)

Three test runs were performed. The first used a single cable with a series resistance of 0.1 ohm, the second used a single cable of 0.05 ohm (equivalent to two parallel cable runs), and the third used 2 x 0.1 ohm cables.

John (jneutron) tells me that my initial test was flawed because I didn't include the branches (presumably the two sections of crossover network), but this current test tells me that it doesn't make a rat's backside worth of difference :D

The test run with two separate cables (bi-wired) vs. the 50 milliohm cable gave identical values of voltage at the load (to at least 3 decimal places). To minimise sampling errors in the simulator (I use SIMetrix) the time interval was set for a maximum of 2us (roughly equivalent to a 500kHz sampling rate).

Naturally, the single 100 milliohm cable attenuated the signal by exactly the amount one would predict based on the resistance.

I suspect that we have a herring here - and it appears to me to radiate a distinct reddish hue :D While there are points that appear valid, it just doesn't work that way in practice.

If the LF current caused the HF current to be modulated as claimed, this implies that intermodulation distortion components will be the result. But, we are talking about a metallic conductor at audio frequencies - intermodulation (or harmonic) distortion doesn't exist in a cable. We would all be in serious trouble if it did, since the entire fabric of electronics is based on the use of metallic conductors (that don't contribute distortion).

The 'straight wire with gain' has long been held up as the standard we aspire to, but John's analysis tries to convince us that even this is no good. Some of the magic cables have the ability (or so we are told) to make sure that HF signals pass through their designated conductors and the LF signals through their appropriate conductors - presumably to reduce this non-problem.

Sorry John, but you're not going to convince me on this one. While it appears 'obvious' that the summed currents will cause an additional loss, if this were the case we would be unable to use resistors in electronic circuits because the summed currents would cause major problems (100k resistor vs 100 milliohms of cable, all manner of branching - usually DC + wide band AC for example ... not to mention modulated RF systems, etc., etc.).

There is absolutely no evidence that signal modulation of any kind is an issue with any conductor at audio frequencies and at normal audio levels. While superconducting magnetic circuits (for example) may exhibit unusual behaviour is not really at issue - odd things are bound to occur at perhaps a million amps or so. AFAIK, there are no audio components that fall into this category ;)

Bi-wiring can reduce crossover interactions caused by the common cable's resistance, but as I mentioned in the earlier post, there is no evidence that the effects are audible to most listeners. Using an active crossover is still the best approach anyway.

Do with this red herring what you will, but I have better things to do with my time :D

Nice theory though - I just hope the magic cable brigade don't get hold of jneutron's data. They'd have a field day, and would certainly be able to baffle the average customer with that lot (what a depressing thought). :eek:

Cheers, Rod

sound.au.com

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
5 ft of image shift is huge and a cinch to detect, especially as it comes and goes, like a ghost. But, I have never heard such an effect nor have anyone else reported such an effect before that I know of. So, I am grappling with this issue if this condition would ever occur. And, if it is that rare, what is there to worry about?
That's because this issue NEVER does occur in real life. I have set up countless systems single wired and achieved perfect stereo imaging. Not once have I heard a phase shift b/c of a cable!

I have a feeling Jneutron is having some fun with all of us here. Good joke my friend :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gene said:
That's because this issue NEVER does occur in real life. I have set up countless systems single wired and achieved perfect stereo imaging. Not once have I heard a phase shift b/c of a cable!

I have a feeling Jneutron is having some fun with all of us here. Good joke my friend :D

Well, let's hope it is a good joke on us. Who am I to argue with him and his numbers. :D That is why it would be great to hear from someone of equal caliber and knows psychoacoustics to boot, like Dr. Ted Grusec who used to work with Toole at NRC. Or, Toole himself not that he retired from Harman, more time on his hands.:D
That instantaneous analysis of Jneutron's is interesting. Since this happens at only one point with this much shifting, it would be an obvious event, even for me. So would smaller shifts happening at other times, jumping around, especially if that loop resistance is larger than 5%.
But, sadly, I am not blessed to hear this abomination of that monowire. :D

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
mduda said:
Gene and I wrote an article about this techno-nonsense, "Rubbing the Snake Oil Out of Speaker Cables". I believe it's still hosted on this site.
Apparently, the intro is still there, called part 1. But it only mentions further insights which will be given in followups. I do not know where the whole shebang is, however.

By the way, you certainly did not write about what I speak of. Nobody has.

mduda said:
Buyer beware!

Best,
Mike
I certainly concur. There is indeed a lot of hogwash out there.

Cheers, John

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
rode said:
Hi John - long time no speak.

Ok, having looked at jneutron's previous diagrams and text file, I have performed a much more rigorous simulation, and the measured difference remains effectively zero.
Darn..I had written a long post explaining in detail what you did incorrectly..and promptly lost the whole kaboodle..

Rod...you used a simulation package?? I told you that your simulator doesn't have the correct math package to see what I am talking about..I warned you.

You are using a DC voltmeter to look at an AC waveform..and proclaiming victory:confused: :confused:

It is clear that you do not have a correct conceptual understanding of the problem. Go back, and explain to me why the case 2 dissipations between biwiring and monowiring are different. And explain to me how an FFT algorithm can spot a zero integral power signal buried within a non zero one..

They are..and you've missed the boat...figuratively speaking.

Do not again try to refute an argument with an inadequate tool. Your "simulation" has fallen short, because it can't simulate correctly what we discuss..

Obviously, this is a first for you, failure of your tools.... Welcome to my world..:eek: So many tools out there you take for granted are not sufficient for my needs at work.

I'm game to take this quite a bit further if you are willing to learn..if you wish to take it to e-mail and collaboration, let me know..so far, what I'm trying to teach you, I did years ago..you have the drive and energy, but I do not wish your laundry online..you are parroting quite well, what you have been taught. This goes a bit beyond that..

Cheers, John

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
This 5 ft of image shift under this condition doesn't happen just by itself, in one speaker as the image position is the result of two speakers to create that illusion of soundstage, right?

To have any affect whatsoever, there has to be a difference between channels.. If the lf and hf are both center, nothing will happen to the image regardless of any effect.

But if one channel has lf, while both have the hf center image...that is where lateral shifting of the image can occur.

I've never heard this with music, only contrived signals..

That is one of the big conceptual problems with wires having an effect on sound, as it requires one wire to act differently from the other. The analysis techniques Rod is using, for an example, clearly says that it doesn't happen to a sufficient degree to be audible. For a single driver at the end, it is entirely accurate. But the powerloss modulation I speak of is not modelled by anything Rod owns..

Cheers, John

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
gene said:
I've also never heard the effect with actual music. So, I do not worry about it, nor do I biwire. When I need to worry about anything like this, I do exactly what Rod does, I biamp..

gene said:
While posting and discussing with all you guys is indeed fun, I take teaching others rather seriously.

Teaching is the most fun when the others listen carefully and see the anomolies I speak of, then say "waittaminute, your right, that shouldn't be." I have pointed out multiple times the obvious anomoly of dissipation in case 2 of my diagrams, yet everybody dismisses it without thought..

Simple knee jerk without understanding, that does not make me happy.

Think, guys..do not react.

Cheers, John

Teaching cannot be done apart from teachability... and that has to a) exist, and b) be granted. Force-feeding knowledge never works, so I suspect the ones who want to learn from threads like this will hand around and the rest will move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis