Crossover capacitor replacement. What to identify?

S

seansy

Audiophyte
Hey there,
Say I wanted to have some fun and replace the capacitors on my tower speakers crossover. What are the metric/data indicators to know about them in order to select the right replacement capacitors that will ensure compatibility with the crossover/speaker?
I believe the ones I have are "NPE caps" (x2).

Cheers

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
What are the metric/data indicators to know about them in order to select the right replacement capacitors that will ensure compatibility with the crossover/speaker? I believe the ones I have are "NPE caps" (x2).
You must know these number from the original capacitor:
  1. Capacitance Value – This is the most important value, in micro Farads. It determines the frequency that the capacitor acts as a high-pass filter. Usually micro Farad is abbreviated as µF or uF, and sometimes mF as (microF). The Greek letter mu means one millionth of a Farad. uF is often used when someone can't type out the Greek letter µ. mF is confusing because mF also means milli Farad, 1,000 µF = 1 mF.

Capacitance Value is usually accompanied by a ±% tolerance value, such as 7µF ± 10%. That cap has been tested to perform anywhere between 6.3 µF and 7.7 µF.

2. Voltage Rating – The highest voltage at which the cap is tested to not fail. Not critical as long as it's greater than about 100V.
Say I wanted to have some fun replace the capacitors on my tower speakers crossover.
If you want to have fun, then don't change speaker crossover caps unless they have failed. Everything you may have read online about remarkably improved sound qualities because of different capacitors is an online myth – it's false.

It will definitely void any warranty on your speakers.

Last edited:
S

seansy

Audiophyte
You must know these number from the original capacitor:
Capacitance Value – This is the most important value, in micro Farads because it determines to frequency that the capacitor acts as a high-pass filter. Usually micro Farad is abbreviated as µF or uF, and sometimes mF as (microF). The Greek letter mu means one millionth of a Farad. uF is often used when someone can't type out the Greek letter µ. mF is confusing because mF also means milli Farad, 1,000 µF = 1 mF.

Capacitance Value is usually accompanied by a ±% tolerance value, such as 7µF ± 10%. That cap has been tested to perform anywhere between 6.3 µF and 7.7 µF.Voltage Rating – The highest voltage at which the cap is tested to not fail. Not critical as long as it's greater than about 100V.
Beautiful! Very much appreciated. Cheers

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Beautiful! Very much appreciated. Cheers
Your original post shows you've never tackled a crossover before.

Did you read the second part of my post? This will be a waste of your time, as well as some money.

S

seansy

Audiophyte
Your original post shows you've never tackled a crossover before.

Did you read the second part of my post? This will be a waste of your time, as well as some money.
It's mostly for fun and learning. I like to tinker and try new things. I've always wanted to learn how to solder and get into minor electronic repair etc. Vehicles and construction bore me now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis