Is it worth using XLR in your hifi system?

V

VientoB

Audiophyte
I saw a debate on another forum where people said XLR is only really beneficial with longer interconnect runs and for short runs RCS is better value. But XLR cables are not that much more expensive than RCS cables, are they?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Depends on what you’re connecting. If both devices are balanced just use appropriate cable with either XLR or TRS plug. If both are unbalanced use appropriate cable with RCA plugs. If one device is balanced and one is unbalanced you’ll have to look in the manual how the cabling should be done.

In any case: Good quality cables with good XLR connectors are not expensive.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I saw a debate on another forum where people said XLR is only really beneficial with longer interconnect runs and for short runs RCS is better value. But XLR cables are not that much more expensive than RCS cables, are they?
I agree with Trell above.

It's not just a matter of XLR vs. RCA cables. It's really about electronic gear that have the built-in differential circuits needed to be "fully balanced". For XLR connections to offer an audible difference over RCA, two conditions must exist. 1) If, both ends of the cable connections are fully balanced, and 2) If there is enough existing electromagnetic interference (EMI) or radio frequency interference (RFI) noise. These types of interference are common in live audio or recording studios, but rare in a home.

Balanced connections are commonly used for live audio and recording studios for microphones with long cables. Long cables (30 feet or longer) carrying microphone voltage level (1-3 mV) signals can pick up noise induced by EMI or RFI. Balanced connections along with the differential circuits required on the electronic gear can cancel out this noise.
It seems that balanced connections have become fashionable for preamp-to-amp connections, and many examples feature these as a sought-after feature, usually at higher prices. The voltage levels between preamps and amps are in the range of 0.1 to 5.0 volts (100 to 5,000 mV), much higher than microphone level voltages. Interconnects at this voltage level are less sensitive to EMI/RFI induced noise, especially if they are less than 30 feet long. I think that standard RCA interconnects between a preamp and amp are fine, unless you have an unusually noisy environment with high levels of EMI/RFI.

It's odd that people focus on the connection between a preamp and an amp to use balanced connections. This is where the signal level is the highest before final speaker-level amplification occurs. This subject, like so many in home audio, has become unnecessarily controversial because most people don't understand what's really involved.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
@Swerd has a great point about signal levels which most people don’t consider.

Aside from what’s been mentioned, there are a few other pros and cons that could matter. One advantage XLRs have, generally speaking, is that they’re a more robust connector than RCAs. But home audio isn’t exactly a demanding application, largely rendering that point moot. However, XLRs demand a lot of space behind the components, which can be a challenge in some installations.

And, a lot of people make the mistake of buying budget cables with inferior connectors. Cheap connectors are often not built to spec and can eventually have intermittent connection issues. If you go with XLRs, only buy cables with Switchcraft, Neutrik or Amphenol connectors..

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Some situations where "balanced output stage >> balanced cable >> balanced input stage' interconnect systems can be good:
a] long cables (say maybe 15 feet/ 5 meters)
b] different AC power circuits
c] high noise or interference areas.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I agree with Trell above.

It's not just a matter of XLR vs. RCA cables. It's really about electronic gear that have the built-in differential circuits needed to be "fully balanced". For XLR connections to offer an audible difference over RCA, two conditions must exist. 1) If, both ends of the cable connections are fully balanced, and 2) If there is enough existing electromagnetic interference (EMI) or radio frequency interference (RFI) noise. These types of interference are common in live audio or recording studios, but rare in a home.

Balanced connections are commonly used for live audio and recording studios for microphones with long cables. Long cables (30 feet or longer) carrying microphone voltage level (1-3 mV) signals can pick up noise induced by EMI or RFI. Balanced connections along with the differential circuits required on the electronic gear can cancel out this noise.
It seems that balanced connections have become fashionable for preamp-to-amp connections, and many examples feature these as a sought-after feature, usually at higher prices. The voltage levels between preamps and amps are in the range of 0.1 to 5.0 volts (100 to 5,000 mV), much higher than microphone level voltages. Interconnects at this voltage level are less sensitive to EMI/RFI induced noise, especially if they are less than 30 feet long. I think that standard RCA interconnects between a preamp and amp are fine, unless you have an unusually noisy environment with high levels of EMI/RFI.

It's odd that people focus on the connection between a preamp and an amp to use balanced connections. This is where the signal level is the highest before final speaker-level amplification occurs. This subject, like so many in home audio, has become unnecessarily controversial because most people don't understand what's really involved.
Most consumer audio equipment that has XLR is the result of marketing departments twisting the old saying "Give them what they want" into "Give them what they think they want".

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I would recommend you check THIS out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis