Speaker cable burn in?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Is speaker cable burn in real or just snake oil?
Cable burn in is snake oil. Think about it: By virtue of just using your cables, they 'burn in'.

2nd: If audiofools won't trust their own ears, neither should you:

At Polk audio forums they were talking about the benefits of cable burn in. I offered something like $2000 plus the cost of the cables. I would take six line level cables (either XLR or RCA) and burn two in and randomly label all of them.

I would create a simple text file with the answer key and zip it up with a password. I would make this file available and ship the cables. So they would have the this in hand when the cables shipped so no funny business from my end.

I removed all the traditional arguments that audiofools make:

1. Blinded testing. You can test them fully sighted.
2. You need a short duration: Ok, swap them whenever you like.
3. You need a long duration: Ok, swap them whenever you like. I even offered that they could have 30 days.
4. It's nerve wracking to have a test administrator. Ok YOU are your own test administrator.
5. But it needs to be in my system. Ok, They are shipping to you. They'll be in YOUR system
6. But the cables aren't 'high resolution' enough. The Bet is $2000 plus what ever cables you wanted. If you win you get $2000 and 6 free cables. If I win I get $2000 and 6 free cables.

The only thing is that we would all have to hire and escrow service, write a contract, and participants would fund the obligations.

I'm telling you I got heinous amount of mileage on that one. The backing away from their burn in position was so cringe that one member there said that it was so embarrassing that they handed it to me on a silver platter.

I don't think that thread survived their bulletin board migration.

A 2nd thread worth reading is at What's Best Forum. Where Uptone's Alex Crespi said that he would blind test his own USB 'regenerator' any time, any day of the week. When it was offered to fly out and do this in his own setup he farging ghosted WBF for 1/2 a year.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Part of the issue is manufacturers put it in their literature,
Got to put the bait someplace. :D

online experts talk about it
Well, they must be fare from being one if they peddle this sh...

and I’ve even had discussions about it at stereo stores with guys I know and respect.
Won't go there. And they will not engage in a DBT.:eek:

To me if you can’t measure it or reliably hear in blind A/B testing then it’s nothing to worry about.
Well, we can, those who have the right instruments, measure stuff way below audibility. So, a DBT is in order. ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Anybody think that it was actually a simple question? Didn’t see that he made any claim. Just asked about it.
Occam doesn't work here. ;):D

Besides, need a break from politics. ;)

Oh, there was one proper reply up there.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Same sort of people who think their home appliances, lighting etc works better after "burn-in"? What a stupid concept.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

A counter-question- what, exactly, breaks in? Do the electrons move more easily? Why do Electrical Engineers look at me as if I have three heads when I tell them about the ads for special cables, wire dressings, cable stands, batteries on cables and special materials?
They wouldn't if they were real golden eared audiophiles. :D:D:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Same sort of people who think their home appliances, lighting etc works better after "burn-in"? What a stupid concept.
Well, it is best to run brand new oven without anything to get that smell and whatnot out. We were lucky to test it first.
But wify like the video wi-fi camera in it and wi-fi controls. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
*Moderator note: post deleted. There's another subforum or you can harrad William via PM...
Had to go there? What’s your point? I was only pointing out that maybe the guy just really didn’t actually know. If he does and he’s here messing things up then yeah. Fukkem.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Had to go there? What’s your point? I was only pointing out that maybe the guy just really didn’t actually know. If he does and he’s here messing things up then yeah. Fukkem.
Sorry, thought we were in the appropriate sub forum already. Your defending of the stupid is somewhat related, tho.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis