Athena F2 Tweeter replacement

S

seansy

Audiophyte
Looking for info on what tweeter I can Frankenstein into my athena F2 speaker.

I recently (yesterday) got the itch to obtain the cheapest home audio banger setup I could find on facebook market place as i miss the days of blowing up my (and my friends) parents sound systems.
I came across 2 Athena AS F2s on fb marketplace for 50 bux. They looked well kept but got them home and one of the tweeters is out. The tweeter doesn't seem to be damaged on the dome side of things and i removed the bottom speaker to check if the wire came loose from the crossover, it's secure. I'm hoping the tweeter driver is the issue and not the crosssover.

TLDR; can anyone recommend an easily accessible tweeter I could purchase online to replace? Or even some guidance on what specs to look for? It doesn't have to be perfect, just need to not sound like i'm def in one ear.

Running these badboys on an onkyo htr 591 i got for 20 bux btw. Setup doesn't sound half bad for 70 bux! (except for those highs on the right side)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I recently (yesterday) got the itch to obtain the cheapest home audio banger setup I could find on facebook market place as i miss the days of blowing up my (and my friends) parents sound systems.
I came across 2 Athena AS F2s on fb marketplace for 50 bux. They looked well kept but got them home and one of the tweeters is out. The tweeter doesn't seem to be damaged on the dome side of things and i removed the bottom speaker to check if the wire came loose from the crossover, it's secure. I'm hoping the tweeter driver is the issue and not the crosssover.

TLDR; can anyone recommend an easily accessible tweeter I could purchase online to replace? Or even some guidance on what specs to look for? It doesn't have to be perfect, just need to not sound like i'm def in one ear.

Running these badboys on an onkyo htr 591 i got for 20 bux btw. Setup doesn't sound half bad for 70 bux! (except for those highs on the right side)
Remove the tweeter and test for continuity across the input terminals with a test meter. When the tweeter is out see if you can see the manufacturers name and model number. If the tweeter is to be replaced it has to be the exact same model, or the speaker will be awful. You can not replace the tweeter with a different brand or model.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

It is your lucky day. I found out that tweeter was made by Teteron, and there are two available on eBay right now. You had better get them fast.

Just one word of caution. Don't play them loud. That tweeter was designed to be crossed at 3.5KHz and those speakers cross to the tweeter at 2KHz. As is so often the case, the individuals designing speakers, actually don't have the first clue how to do it.

S

seansy

Audiophyte
It is your lucky day. I found out that tweeter was made by Teteron, and there are two available on eBay right now. You had better get them fast.

Just one word of caution. Don't play them loud. That tweeter was designed to be crossed at 3.5KHz and those speakers cross to the tweeter at 2KHz. As is so often the case, the individuals designing speakers, actually don't have the first clue how to do it.
no way... thanks man!. I'll update soon

S

seansy

Audiophyte

would you be able to confirm these are the ones? Product description is for the bookshelf Athenas. guessing they are the same?

cheers

S

seansy

Audiophyte
would you be able to confirm these are the ones? Product description is for the bookshelf Athenas. guessing they are the same?

cheers
Damn, nvm, can't get it shipped to Canada apparently. I did pick up 4 Panasonic SB AFC-10s that compensate well.

to be honest, I cant believe how good these budget speakers sound even with one tweeter. add the surround and a sub and it blows my socks off. Unfortunately it seems ill be forever wondering what 2 fully functional Athean F2s could sound like... smells like an upgrade to me

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis