Topping B100 Monoblock Amp

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was reading the review of this tiny AMP and it seems to measure well. 100 watts @ ohms is no slouch, but it is Class B. 83w at 8ohms.
  • Every amp I have owned up until the ATI Class D has been class AB. (Anthem, Parasound)
  • This amp is only class B, is there any disadvantage to this? At $299.00 the Topping B100 seems like an insane deal?

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
A Class B amp is typically known to generate output crossover distortion. That is the main reason why the Class AB topology was designed.

Edit: But contrarily to what Amir says, IMO this Topping B100 monoblock power amp does not operate as a true Class B amplifier. It was tested by him and it had an outstanding performance:
It would be good to have @PENG to chime in with his opinion.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was reading the review of this tiny AMP and it seems to measure well. 100 watts @ ohms is no slouch, but it is Class B. 83w at 8ohms.
  • Every amp I have owned up until the ATI Class D has been class AB. (Anthem, Parasound)
  • This amp is only class B, is there any disadvantage to this? At $299.00 the Topping B100 seems like an insane deal?
At one watt it won't be pretty unless it uses Peter Walker's current dumping topology, which uses a small class A amp in a feed forward mode to correct the dumpers. I doubt it does as they would be too stupid to figure it out. That amp is junk. Avoid.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Amir's measured performance of the amp is rather Impressive. Incredible, even. How much negative feedback does it take for class b to actually do that? I wouldn't have thought it possible, but I'm educated in the lowly biological sciences. Where's @PENG ?

What jumps out at me as obvious flaws would be a)the modest power and b)hair trigger protection circuitry. That seems to severely limit it's utility. On the value front, there are lots of more proven class d alternatives for similar cost to choose from that don't have the power limits and load compatibility compromises.

I would wait and see how reliable they are before calling it junk, though. If it's reliable and offers such SOTA distortion performance, that's pretty cool. That being said, I would let the SINAD obsessives be the guinea pigs with it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis