Microsoft AI feature records everything you do, secures far less

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's about time to think abandoning Microsoft with their new spyware products:
Apple is not much better. It's now time to switch to a Linux based OS. Linux Mint is an excellent one.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It's about time to think abandoning Microsoft with their new spyware products:
Apple is not much better. It's now time to switch to a Linux based OS. Linux Mint is an excellent one.
Can both exist on a computer/laptop? Or just one or the other, window or Linux?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know more than what is given with this Malwarebytes article. It's not clear as to whether this AI feature will only be installed on new laptops which Microsoft will sell as a manufacturer, or new laptops sold by laptop manufacturers.

I suspect that this AI feature will eventually be included in future operating systems replacing Windows 11, unless our governments take action to forbid such kind of spyware.

I'm sure that Linux based platforms which are open source operating systems will not get involved in such abusive endeavour.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Ironic the article is posted on Malwarebytes. I found their software (MacOS) tries to send telemetry back home even when you choose the option to disable. Probably a clause in their privacy policy that allows it at some level. In any case, agree with the Mint recommendation. I also like Manjaro, but Mint has been my go to for years now.

D

dolynick

Full Audioholic
The Recall feature will only work on devices that have a specific NPU as part of the design.

Currently only the new ARM based CPU models coming out will have support for it. Intel and AMD CPUs are markedly short of the required NPU power required for Window Recall to work and will be for some time.

This is a feature that is unlikely to ever show up on existing Windows machines, and is only likely to be something you'll encounter on a specific subset of devices for the next few years. Five years from now, it might become more ubiquitous on new PCs.

But yeah... As far as the Recall feature itself goes... It's one of those Microsoft "innovations" that just has me shaking my head. Given it's nature and it's requirements for storage space, etc, I'm pretty sure it will be defeatable if you don't want it, but it won't surprise me if it's turned on by default or there are nags to get you to enabled it if not.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

@Verdinut thanks. Was really after that Linux Mint if that can be uploaded and used on a windows-based system, without deleting windows 10 that I have

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@Verdinut thanks. Was really after that Linux Mint if that can be uploaded and used on a windows-based system, without deleting windows 10 that I have
If you want to experiment with other operating systems, read up on VirtualBox by Oracle. It's free for personal use. I use it to run legacy software in a Virutal Machine inside Windows 10. You need to dedicate some hard drive space though (several GB may be needed). Linux has light hardware requirements and should run fine in a Virtual Machine.

Other option is to dual boot your computer so that you can boot into Windows or Linux. That requires splitting your hard drive into two partitions, or installing a second hard drive for the other OS.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You can find GRUB video tutorials that will allow you to dual boot. You could also install Virtual Box and run Linux as a VM with access to your USB and Networking. Or the other way around and run Linux and Virtual Box and run Windows in a VM.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You can find GRUB video tutorials that will allow you to dual boot. You could also install Virtual Box and run Linux as a VM with access to your USB and Networking. Or the other way around and run Linux and Virtual Box and run Windows in a VM.
I really like Virtual Box. It's been super stable. I keep a copy of WIndows XP in a VM for legacy apps and have another VM that acts as a sandbox to test suspicious apps. You can create a shared folder that is accessible to both the host OS and VM to share files when needed. I've had no issues with the VM recognizing hardware either, although you need to research first sometimes, like which virtual network card to choose.

The only warning I would add is be careful if saving the state of the VM. You can either shut down the OS in the VM normally or you can save the state of the VM to your hard drive (like hibernating your laptop) and later pick up where you left off. I have had co-workers that saved the VM but then shut down the host OS before the VM was completely saved to the hard drive. That corrupted the file and the VM could not reload to its previous state. Fortunately Virtual Box has the option to clear that cache and reset the VM, so you can still recover the VM but will loose any work that was not saved.

Any way, better not get too far off topic. :)

H

Hasll

Audiophyte
I have heard about Microsoft AI but there are different opinions about its use on the internet, I am interested to know if Microsoft AI is worth using. I like the work of this company and I wanted to update Microsoft Office and Excel but I can't figure out how to activate the license, please tell me a reliable site where I can activate it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry for not replying to you. As a matter of fact, I don't recall having seen this reply.

I had a desktop PC and I had a computer store technician install the Ubuntu OS, another Linux based operating system, on it. It was operating on the same PC as the Windows 10 OS. Shorty after that installation, I had a problem with that desktop. I figure that the motherboard was defective and I did not try to get it fixed.

What @Eppie suggested to you is most likely a safer way to have two operating systems on same PC, although I did use a previous Ubuntu OS with a hard disk drawer with which I could switch hard drives. That worked well at the time.

By the way, did you have the opportunity to try the Linux Mint which is rather similar to Windows 10. If so, what was your first opinion on its operation?

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

By the way, did you have the opportunity to try the Linux Mint which is rather similar to Windows 10. If so, what was your first opinion on its operation?
No, have not tried it. Don't think I want to experiment and screw up my new win 11 computer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis