Recommendations for a Compact $1,000 Subwoofer

S

Space2013

Audioholic
Space (specifically width) is at a premium. I’m looking for a subwoofer in the $1,000ish range for a 12x12x8.5 foot room.

I was thinking SVS SB3000?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SB-3000 is a great choice. Arendal 1961 S is also good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I assume you have bookshelf speakers?

That room is so small that a pair of towers could produce plenty of bass without a subwoofer.

If you already have some extra amps/channels, I would get the RBH S-12N passive sub that is only 13" wide.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
SB3000. I picked up my SB4000 on sale in the outlet for just a bit more than that a few years back, but the prices went up across the board, so even the outlet prices are higher.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
How about a HSU VTF-TN1 Subwoofer? It's 30" H x 18.5" W x 18.5" D and supposedly awesome from what I've read. Definitely the King of the Hill at that price point.

Now if @shadyJ would even post his review, we'd have some real data to kick around on it.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
You know what, I measured a bit wrong. I forgot to include the small dining room which is attached so that would make the open area more like 12x24x8.5 feet. I'd prefer something compact like the SB3000 but do I need to be looking at something more like the PB2000 Pro? The issue is with the wider subwoofers it really makes it hard to fit the front bookshelf speakers and everything else around it easily.

I'd normally go for ported but it is so hard to fit.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
I assume you have bookshelf speakers?

That room is so small that a pair of towers could produce plenty of bass without a subwoofer.

If you already have some extra amps/channels, I would get the RBH S-12N passive sub that is only 13" wide.
Yeah - the room is small. But I forgot it opens up to a dining room which is another 12x10x8.5 feet. And the space also opens up into the kitchen (small doorway but no door) so that adds even more cubic feet...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah - the room is small. But I forgot it opens up to a dining room which is another 12x10x8.5 feet. And the space also opens up into the kitchen (small doorway but no door) so that adds even more cubic feet...
That information doesn’t change my thinking at all. Of course, that’s just what I would do.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Worst thing that could happen is you need a second sub because extra room volume makes sub work harder but .. ported is more output ofc . I prefer sealed because there lighter some are Not so good under 20hz .but can’t hear that.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
SB-3000 is a great choice. Arendal 1961 S is also good.
I’m just trying to decide if the SB-3000 is enough for the space. See above but the living room opens up into a small (9x12 ish) dining room and kitchen (12x12). I can’t go more expensive so I’d have to go ported like the PB-2000 Pro but it will be much harder to fit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis