SVS 3000s vs Rhythmik F12 vs HSU VTF-3

S

Skinny

Audiophyte
Hi!
I'm currently trying to find some subwoofers.
I have two Neumann KH 120 ii monitors and the low end is lacking.
My room dimensions are 10.7 feet (Width) x 11.9 feet(Length) x 7.4 feet (H) = 942.242 cubic feet.
The purpose for the set up is music production. I'm looking for accuracy in sound.
I make house music and bass is very important.
I'm willing to pay the price with SVS if that may bring the most accurate low frequencies.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Neumann's subs would be majorly outperformed by these others. Per the SVS sub, what 3000 are you referring to? The PB-3000, SB-3000, or 3000 Micro? The only one that could compete with the Hsu VTF-3 is the PB-3000, at least for bass below 40Hz.

The question is how much output do you need? also, how low do you want to dig? A VTF-3 or PB-3000 in a 940 cubic foot room would be pretty powerful, especially in deep bass. The Rythmik F12 would be fine but not in the same class of output as these other subs. Then again, you might not be looking for super high output levels. All of these subs are very accurate if that is your concern. Something else to consider is how are you going to be integrating the subs and bass managing them with your monitors?

S

Skinny

Audiophyte
Probably the SB class for the sealed tight bass. I don't necessarily need something powerful as I want to keep the overall frequencies balanced, the kh120s are doing a good job of all other frequencies.
Thanks for bringing up how I will be integrating them as I haven't thought that far. I was just going to plug them in through my DAC via rcas.

S

Skinny

Audiophyte
The F12g seems intriguing with the paper cones. Is the significance of the sound of the cone material just preference?

S

Skinny

Audiophyte
Neumann's subs would be majorly outperformed by these others. Per the SVS sub, what 3000 are you referring to? The PB-3000, SB-3000, or 3000 Micro? The only one that could compete with the Hsu VTF-3 is the PB-3000, at least for bass below 40Hz.

The question is how much output do you need? also, how low do you want to dig? A VTF-3 or PB-3000 in a 940 cubic foot room would be pretty powerful, especially in deep bass. The Rythmik F12 would be fine but not in the same class of output as these other subs. Then again, you might not be looking for super high output levels. All of these subs are very accurate if that is your concern. Something else to consider is how are you going to be integrating the subs and bass managing them with your monitors?
With a gun to your head, which one would you pick?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Probably the SB class for the sealed tight bass. I don't necessarily need something powerful as I want to keep the overall frequencies balanced, the kh120s are doing a good job of all other frequencies.
Thanks for bringing up how I will be integrating them as I haven't thought that far. I was just going to plug them in through my DAC via rcas.
Sealed isn't necessarily advantageous when it comes to sound quality. in fact, it will incur a lot more nonlinear distortion in lower frequencies. It's also worth keeping in mind that the latency in sound from ported subs occurs only around their port tuning frequencies which tend to be a narrow band. So long as that band is in very low frequency, and group delay generated by the port is inaudible. It's well worth the trade-off for lower nonlinear distortion.
The F12g seems intriguing with the paper cones. Is the significance of the sound of the cone material just preference?
The cone material doesn't have much effect on subwoofer performance, outside of the extra weight of some materials. More weight means a lower Fs but also lower sensitivity. In other words, a heavier cone will play deeper but not as loud. Aluminum cones would be heavier than paper.
With a gun to your head, which one would you pick?
Between the SB-3000, VTF-3, and Rythmik F12, that would be an easy choice: the VTF-3. It's a ported sub, and will have far more clean output in the low end. If it was a choice between the PB-3000 and VTF-3, I might have to go with the PB-3000. But at the PB-3000's price, you can also consider the Hsu VTF-TN1 and Monoprice M15 V2. If you wanted to experiment with extreme deep bass frequencies, the VTF-TN1 is the one to get since it can have a 15Hz port tune. The Monoprice M15 V2 is an extremely low distortion sub with unusually low group delay for a ported sub, but it is very large and heavy. The PB-3000; main advantage is the onboard ability to EQ the sub, however, that can also be done with external EQs, and you probably have that ability in your sound interface if it is a good one.

If you aren't concerned about deep bass, then sealed subs enter the discussion again. The SB-3000 is a great one for its size, but also look at the Hsu ULS-15 mk2. The Rythmik is likely a great sub for its size, but it is hampered by its cone area. The Hsu and SVS are likely to stay clean at much louder levels. The Hsu probably has the most output, but the SVS has onboard EQ functionality. There is also the Arendal 1961 1S in this segment which is a decent sub that has onboard EQ and XLR inputs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis