Zone 3 Speaker Help

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
Need some help. I have a denon x4300h running a 5.2 setup in the living room, a pair of Def tech aw6500 speakers on the patio (zone 2), and I just added a pair of Rockustics 6.5 plant speakers to the pool area (zone 3). The Rockustics are 4ohm speakers that can take 70w. It seems they are lacking power as they have to get cranked up to produce any sound. Would buying a 2 channel amp for them and running through the pre-outs help much? I was thinking of something like this https://a.co/d/7XSpzSO to power them. Thoughts or any other ideas?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could but may not make any appreciable difference. They have an unusual sensitivity spec somewhat, and possibly overstated but don't have a lot of power capability either. It could also be influenced by how/where the speakers are placed, too as well as outdoors you don't get boundary reinforcement as much as in a room. Overall I'd say its just the nature of the speakers....

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
You could but may not make any appreciable difference. They have an unusual sensitivity spec somewhat, and possibly overstated but don't have a lot of power capability either. It could also be influenced by how/where the speakers are placed, too as well as outdoors you don't get boundary reinforcement as much as in a room. Overall I'd say its just the nature of the speakers....
Thanks. I was thinking because they are 4ohm they could use the extra power as my aw6500 sound awesome.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
How exactly are the speakers connected to the unit and its amps assigned? The X4300H has nine amps and is limited to running Zone 2 and Zone 3 in mono when using seven channels in the Main Zone. When using individual Zones, signals are limited to PCM 2.0. While Zone 2 supports PCM 2.0 from HDMI connected devices, Zone 3 is limited to PCM 2.0 from coaxial and optical digital ports.

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
How exactly are the speakers connected to the unit and its amps assigned? The X4300H has nine amps and is limited to running Zone 2 and Zone 3 in mono when using seven channels in the Main Zone. When using individual Zones, signals are limited to PCM 2.0. While Zone 2 supports PCM 2.0 from HDMI connected devices, Zone 3 is limited to PCM 2.0 from coaxial and optical digital ports.
5.2 in main, 2 for zone 2 and 2 for zone 3.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Apologies, I thought I read 5.2.2 for Main Zone. The 5.1 + Zone2/3 amp assign should work. The signal limitations will apply using the speaker terminals or the pre outs. As @lovinthehd mentioned, maybe another pair of the AW6500?

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
Apologies, I thought I read 5.2.2 for Main Zone. The 5.1 + Zone2/3 amp assign should work. The signal limitations will apply using the speaker terminals or the pre outs. As @lovinthehd mentioned, maybe another pair of the AW6500?
I may do that down the road. These stupid planter speakers are like $650 each new and I got a good deal on them, do hoped to make them work.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I may do that down the road. These stupid planter speakers are like $650 each new and I got a good deal on them, do hoped to make them work.
You want to use these outdoors- the lack of boundaries creates the need for more power- even full-range speakers sound like bookshelf speakers when they're outside.

However, I would suggest checking the Zone 2 and Zone 3 settings for level, crossovers, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis