Arendal 1723 or 1723S vs SVS Ultra Evolution Titan

A

AudioQc

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I am thorn between those floorstanding speakers. The prices for me in Canada (everything included) would be rounded to about 7 100$ CAD for the SVS Titans, 6 300$ CAD for the 1723 THX and 5 000$ CAD for the 1723 S THX.

I am coming at this moment from a system that is mostly made of Magnepan .7 with a SVS Micro 3000 and a NAD M10 V2. My room is approx. 14x18x9', closed and treated with some acoustic pannels and base traps. My system serves as a 2.1 with an UST projector with a 120" screen. It's used obviously both for cinema and stereo music. One of the Magnepan needs repair and I don't want to be without speakers while it's gone. I will still be keeping them for music.

I want something with more dynamic punch than the Magnepan but that is still true to recordings and not fatiguing. Speakers playing nice at low volume is also a bonus even though I like to indulge in quite loud music (but trying not to injure my earing). The Maggies come to life with louder volumes (around 75-80 dB) but lack at very low volumes, I really like them but they cannot do everything right, like any speakers. The narrower towers will also help with placement without obstructing the screen.

Dirac on the NAD could help somehow to correct some flaws of the next speakers to some extent but better start from a good place.

Anyone heard all those from Arendal and SVS and could comment? I am also open to other suggestions but those companies offer in-home trials at no risk and with other companies it will be harder to know how they sound in my place. Someone could say to buy both the Arendal and SVS to compare and send back the ones I don't prefer but I am trying to avoid that if possible.

Thanks all in advance for your advice.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Hi everyone,

I am thorn between those floorstanding speakers. The prices for me in Canada (everything included) would be rounded to about 7 100$ CAD for the SVS Titans, 6 300$ CAD for the 1723 THX and 5 000$ CAD for the 1723 S THX.

I am coming at this moment from a system that is mostly made of Magnepan .7 with a SVS Micro 3000 and a NAD M10 V2. My room is approx. 14x18x9', closed and treated with some acoustic pannels and base traps. My system serves as a 2.1 with an UST projector with a 120" screen. It's used obviously both for cinema and stereo music. One of the Magnepan needs repair and I don't want to be without speakers while it's gone. I will still be keeping them for music.

I want something with more dynamic punch than the Magnepan but that is still true to recordings and not fatiguing. Speakers playing nice at low volume is also a bonus even though I like to indulge in quite loud music (but trying not to injure my earing). The Maggies come to life with louder volumes (around 75-80 dB) but lack at very low volumes, I really like them but they cannot do everything right, like any speakers. The narrower towers will also help with placement without obstructing the screen.

Dirac on the NAD could help somehow to correct some flaws of the next speakers to some extent but better start from a good place.

Anyone heard all those from Arendal and SVS and could comment? I am also open to other suggestions but those companies offer in-home trials at no risk and with other companies it will be harder to know how they sound in my place. Someone could say to buy both the Arendal and SVS to compare and send back the ones I don't prefer but I am trying to avoid that if possible.

How old are you? Continued listening to loud music could damage your hearing, so keep that in mind while shopping around for speakers. Anyway, did you read the SVS Evolution Pinnacle review on this Forum?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I haven't heard the Ultra Evolution Titans, but I know the Ultra Evolution Pinnacles pretty well, and I have experience with both the Arendal 1723 towers. The Pinnacles are a bit warm and are easy to listen to. The 1723 S Towers are neutral, and the full-size 1723s are a bit forward but can have their sound character adjusted depending on how you angle it. You can't go wrong with any of them. Don't try to use the 3000 Micro sub with them; just give them enough wattage and they will give you plenty of bass.

A

AudioQc

Audiophyte
How old are you? Continued listening to loud music could damage your hearing, so keep that in mind while shopping around for speakers. Anyway, did you read the SVS Evolution Pinnacle review on this Forum?
Already 57 yo, I am careful ... most of the time ;). Yes I saw the review of the 1723 here, thanks.

A

AudioQc

Audiophyte
I haven't heard the Ultra Evolution Titans, but I know the Ultra Evolution Pinnacles pretty well, and I have experience with both the Arendal 1723 towers. The Pinnacles are a bit warm and are easy to listen to. The 1723 S Towers are neutral, and the full-size 1723s are a bit forward but can have their sound character adjusted depending on how you angle it. You can't go wrong with any of them. Don't try to use the 3000 Micro sub with them; just give them enough wattage and they will give you plenty of bass.
Thanks a lot, it's helping me. I was also wondering about the use of the micro sub. I might as well go for the cheapest option then, the 1723 S. Again, if anyone find another contender in that rice range, I am open to suggestions. Not a fan of bookshelfs for now, also needs to buy appropriate stands etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, why not some good Canadian speakers in the mix like PSB or Paradigm?

A

AudioQc

Audiophyte
Curious, why not some good Canadian speakers in the mix like PSB or Paradigm?
You are right, I looked at those options though. Those that were interesting to me at PSB were too expensive, nothing in between arond my budget and even thoigh I did not hear them recently, Paradigm was not my cup of tea when I did a few years ago. Fanally ordered some 1723 S and will see. Worst case they will be shipped back.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You are right, I looked at those options though. Those that were interesting to me at PSB were too expensive, nothing in between arond my budget and even thoigh I did not hear them recently, Paradigm was not my cup of tea when I did a few years ago. Fanally ordered some 1723 S and will see. Worst case they will be shipped back.
For Paradigm in that price range you would be looking at either the Founder 80F or 100F. If there is a dealer in your area they are worth checking out.

A

AudioQc

Audiophyte
Ah, I forgot about the Founders series, yes interesting indeed. If the Arendal are not to my taste yes I will try to give those a listen. Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis