SVS Ultra Evolution Pinnacle Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Pinnacle pair4.jpg
When SVS unveiled their new Ultra Evolution loudspeaker series to the world at the 2024 CES in January, many in the audio industry were surprised at just how radically SVS changed their top-tier speaker series. Typically, when a major loudspeaker manufacturer refreshes a speaker line, they keep the core design and simply make component changes such as improving aspects of the drivers and crossover circuit or expanding the finish options. For the Ultra Evolution speakers, SVS has completely reconfigured the enclosures and driver layout. The Ultra Evolution speakers are not just the previous Ultra speakers with some improvements; they are new designs from the ground up. Today, we will take a look at how this new design pans out in practice with the flagship of the series, the Ultra Evolution Pinnacle, in-house for review.

READ: SVS Ultra Evolution Pinnacle Tower Speaker Review

Last edited by a moderator:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
When SVS unveiled their new Ultra Evolution loudspeaker series to the world at the 2024 CES in January, many in the audio industry were surprised at just how radically SVS changed their top-tier speaker series. Typically, when a major loudspeaker manufacturer refreshes a speaker line, they keep the core design and simply make component changes such as improving aspects of the drivers and crossover circuit or expanding the finish options. For the Ultra Evolution speakers, SVS has completely reconfigured the enclosures and driver layout. The Ultra Evolution speakers are not just the previous Ultra speakers with some improvements; they are new designs from the ground up. Today, we will take a look at how this new design pans out in practice with the flagship of the series, the Ultra Evolution Pinnacle, in-house for review.

(Review to go live on late afternoon of 5/31)
I await your review with interest.

The speaker looks impressive, but the designers have made choices that I would have rejected flat out. This is a design that absolutely needs to be active. A passive crossover at 140 Hz, between woofers and mids just does not work. The audible difference between an active crossover and a passive one in these ranges is like night and day. Driving 5" mids down to 140 Hz is pushing your luck. There is a lot of power down there.
So this has led to a cross to the tweeter right in the middle of the speech discrimination band. That latter is not an insurmountable problem, but best avoided. This for one good reason alone, it puts a lot of power on the tweeter, and so that raises the prospect of tweeter burn out at power.
In addition that 140 Hz crossover makes sub integration problematic to say the least.
So, not the design choices I would have made, but to each his own.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

(Review to go live on late afternoon of 5/31)
SHAAADDYYYYYY!!!!

Um hi!

Where is the article?

I think we've been pretty well behaved and patient I think :)

Pretty pleeeeaase?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lots of good detailed info as usual.

Is the on-axis FR from 250-20kHz about +/-3dB, bass response at -3dB (sensitivity 88.9dB/2.83v/1m) is about 40Hz, minimum impedance is about 2.4 ohms around 80-100Hz?

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
@shadyJ James, As usual very nice review! Do believe SVS has something special with this new line of tower speakers. Really enjoyed reading your article no one on the Internet does testing of Speakers with a great article follow up like you do, your second to none. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for posting… I almost forgot a credit card payment was due today.
Unlike an Audio Review, you don’t get to just say, “will go live when we feel like it!”
:p
Right?!?! The people have been waiting!!! Let’s go!!!!!
I’m really looking forward to this review.
Thanks Gene and shady. And svs.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
James thanks for the review. Glad to hear they trend towards a warmer sound with more bass, since that’s what I like with my old man ears. I don’t need another set of towers (I can’t believe I’m saying this but my wife would agree) but if I did I’d audition these. My experience with SVS customer service for speakers, subs, their wireless system and cables has been 100% satisfactory as a consumer.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Indeed! Again, @shadyJ , thank you for another great review!

These definitely look enticing, though I would like to see a little more refinement in the FR at that 1800 Hz crossover point. Other than that these look like a solid effort from SVS!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for the review @shadyJ . I can only dream of these to purchase as my bank account afterwards would hurt too much, and besides, they wouldn't pass the WAF

(now about that new HSU Sub Review...)

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Indeed! Again, @shadyJ , thank you for another great review!

These definitely look enticing, though I would like to see a little more refinement in the FR at that 1800 Hz crossover point. Other than that these look like a solid effort from SVS!
My gut says they release a 2.0 version in a year or two that addresses some of this speakers shortcomings. Not a great speaker but it’s good speaker and probably good enough for most.

A

audiogod66

Enthusiast
knockout review ! Thanks shadyJ . Slightly disappointed but I think that would change hearing them. Thanks for the incredible music selections :) I played EPROM first :eek: strewth ! nearly collapsed the ceiling was listening to a normal quiet track "Dizz Nee Land" before 3 am that was scary. “Mozart, You Drive Me Crazy,” wow! I planned on listening to a couple of tracks and was mesmerized and heard the whole album -truly brilliant .
cheers

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Lots of good detailed info as usual.

Is the on-axis FR from 250-20kHz about +/-3dB, bass response at -3dB (sensitivity 88.9dB/2.83v/1m) is about 40Hz, minimum impedance is about 2.4 ohms around 80-100Hz?
I'm disappointed in SVS. They made their mark in audio by making affordable high-performance audio. They were the epitome of bang for the buck, not any longer. BTW, where is the bookshelf version of the speaker, I was disappointed that I did not see a bookshelf version.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Speaker reviews are becoming useless. What is the perfect speaker, has it ever been produced? For example, ShadyJ and review a speaker, but we must never forget, those are his ears. All of us reading the eventual review can listen to those same speakers or any speaker and come away with a different impression or feeling about them. So I say again, speaker reviews are becoming useless, one must hear a speaker for themselves.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis