Confusion on surround speaker type (bipole vs monopole) when sofa is against back wall

O

OZ-ZERO

Enthusiast
1707765537816.jpeg

1707765550676.jpeg

The above is my living room.
Approx dimension 3.9m width x 7m length x 2.5m height.

I have a proposed 5.1.2 to setup with Atmos speakers just ahead of the sofa seating position.

I have ordered the above sofa to fit against the back wall (yes, I know this is not ideal, but no other alternatives)

I have two options here.
1. Monopole speakers facing the centre of the sofa
2. Bipole speakers stuck on the wall

I'm not sure what is the best. What is the general consensus here?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were me, I would just skip the surrounds unless you can place acoustic absorption panels behind you. you should think about doing that anyway, just for the fronts. The reflections off the read wall are going to be prominent otherwise.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
View attachment 65851
View attachment 65852
The above is my living room.
Approx dimension 3.9m width x 7m length x 2.5m height.

I have a proposed 5.1.2 to setup with Atmos speakers just ahead of the sofa seating position.

I have ordered the above sofa to fit against the back wall (yes, I know this is not ideal, but no other alternatives)

I have two options here.
1. Monopole speakers facing the centre of the sofa
2. Bipole speakers stuck on the wall

I'm not sure what is the best. What is the general consensus here?
I would put in a 3.1 system and call it done. If that is your seating position adding those other speakers will be a downgrade.

You will find a 3.1 system will give you excellent results. In your situation those extra speakers will just be an annoyance.

There are just too many rooms inappropriate for surround audio that have it installed.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I had a system like that once. IMO monopoles aimed at the LP would be better, but take shadys advice and use some kind of absorption. Also, moving the couch off the back wall even half of a meter would be useful.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I used monopoles in my setup and the effect is good at the main seating position but people sitting at the far left or right are going to have one speaker close to their ears which can be a detraction. If only one or two people are listening most of the time, surrounds can work, but if this is a family viewing area then 3.1 might be a better option.

If you have small speakers to try out, speaker wire is cheap and you can run it in the corners for a test. If you don't like the surrounds that close to the couch, then skip the ATMOS speakers. You need a good 5.1 layout to start for ATMOS to be effective.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis