Stereo speaker placement advice?

L

LukeBrown

Audiophyte
I'm looking for some advice on stereo speaker placement.

We have a large open plan living/dining/kitchen which measures approx 8m wide x 12m long. I'm not really interested in trying to setup a full surround sound system, I'm more leaning towards just getting a decent pair of floorstanding stereo speakers (maybe KEF 950's or POLK ES60's, but that's another topic!). The speakers will be used approx 60% of the time for listening to music, and 40% of the time for watching TV (although we're not really big movie buffs, mostly just general TV and sports).

The complication is that the fireplace is in the middle of the room, so our TV is not centred either to the room or the sofa. It's not really an issue when we're watching TV as we would usually sit towards the left side of the sofa and we also have the TV angled towards us. However, I'm not sure where would be best for a set of floorstanding speakers? I've come up with 3 possible options, but I'd appreciate any feedback, advice or other recomendations?! If I need to run speaker cable under the fireplace that should be OK. Note that we're not really keen to move the sofa. We like having the sofa centred to the room as it's nice to sit in front the fireplace in winter. We prefer to keep the fireplace as the focal point of room, not the TV.

Option 1 - On either side of TV, assuming then the speakers would both be angled towards the sofa
20240206_110402~2.jpg

Option 2 - centred to sofa (although it looks a bit odd with TV to the left side of the left speaker?!)
20240206_110402~3.jpg

Option 3 - maximum spread
20240206_110402~4.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm looking for some advice on stereo speaker placement.

We have a large open plan living/dining/kitchen which measures approx 8m wide x 12m long. I'm not really interested in trying to setup a full surround sound system, I'm more leaning towards just getting a decent pair of floorstanding stereo speakers (maybe KEF 950's or POLK ES60's, but that's another topic!). The speakers will be used approx 60% of the time for listening to music, and 40% of the time for watching TV (although we're not really big movie buffs, mostly just general TV and sports).

The complication is that the fireplace is in the middle of the room, so our TV is not centred either to the room or the sofa. It's not really an issue when we're watching TV as we would usually sit towards the left side of the sofa and we also have the TV angled towards us. However, I'm not sure where would be best for a set of floorstanding speakers? I've come up with 3 possible options, but I'd appreciate any feedback, advice or other recomendations?! If I need to run speaker cable under the fireplace that should be OK. Note that we're not really keen to move the sofa. We like having the sofa centred to the room as it's nice to sit in front the fireplace in winter. We prefer to keep the fireplace as the focal point of room, not the TV.

Option 1 - On either side of TV, assuming then the speakers would both be angled towards the sofa
View attachment 65745

Option 2 - centred to sofa (although it looks a bit odd with TV to the left side of the left speaker?!)
View attachment 65746

Option 3 - maximum spread
View attachment 65747
As you already realize there are only bad options.

Option one is the only feasible option if you are intending to use the system with the TV.

A fire place in the middle of the room like that is so common, and wrong foots you from the start.

Is there any other space in your house suitable for AV? If there is, then put an inexpensive basic system there and put a better system in a more suitable location. With a space that large you will need a sub, that can go the other side of the fireplace.

L

LukeBrown

Audiophyte
As you already realize there are only bad options.

Option one is the only feasible option if you are intending to use the system with the TV.

A fire place in the middle of the room like that is so common, and wrong foots you from the start.

Is there any other space in your house suitable for AV? If there is, then put an inexpensive basic system there and put a better system in a more suitable location. With a space that large you will need a sub, that can go the other side of the fireplace.
Unfortunately, there are no other rooms in our house where we can setup a nice AV system, so I'm stuck with having to make best of what we've got in the living room. Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah option 1 seems best, especially if you angle the couch to match :)

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Is it a non-starter to simply mount the TV just above the fireplace and move the painting to the side? They would both share the centerpiece status of the room then. It would have the TV a bit high, but I think you're far enough back that it could work. Maybe the angle is steeper that it appears it might be? I'm honestly not sure if having to look up a little bit would be worse than your other options though.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would mount the tv on the fireplace, providing the wall has structure to do so. Then mount some speakers on either side 3’ off the edge of the tv, add sub, done.

L

LukeBrown

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. Yes it's a large and regularly used woodburning fireplace. I'm not sure about mounting the TV above it becuase it does get quite hot. The TV would need to be at least as high as the painting, we'd get sore necks.

For me it's still between option 1 (maybe with the sofa tilted slightly towards the corner) or option 3 (which I'm thinking would be the best option for music when seated)?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the replies. Yes it's a large and regularly used woodburning fireplace. I'm not sure about mounting the TV above it becuase it does get quite hot. The TV would need to be at least as high as the painting, we'd get sore necks.

For me it's still between option 1 (maybe with the sofa tilted slightly towards the corner) or option 3 (which I'm thinking would be the best option for music when seated)?
You can not mount that TV above the fireplace. It will get too hot and it is too high. Is there any other wall space in that room, that could be used?

I suspect there is no basement to that house. Is that correct?

L

LukeBrown

Audiophyte
You can not mount that TV above the fireplace. It will get too hot and it is too high. Is there any other wall space in that room, that could be used?

I suspect there is no basement to that house. Is that correct?
Sorry there's no basement, and the rest of the room is mostly large sliding glass doors, which is fantastic for letting in lots of natural light, but not so much for changing up the living room configuration! We wouldn't want to block off any of those.

1707194902668.png

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I'd mount the TV about the Fireplace, but on a Bracket that allows it to be pulled away from the wall about 6-8 inches when the Fireplace is being used, and it can be pulled down to a reasonable height for TV watching.

Something like this Amazon Pull Down TV Mount

That one is even electric, but I've seen manual ones too. (I have a movable manual bracket on one of our 55 inch TVs as my wife like to move it up and down -and swivel it -depending if she's in the Kitchen our in the sunken family room. She loves it.)

If I had to pick one of your options, I go for Option 3 - maximum spread. And I'd muck around with the balance if I was running the TV audio through it.

I hope this was helpful.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You are talking to people who would move/remove almost everything on that front wall to set it up around getting the best sound. I'd opt for the widest spread that comes closer to the listening position, so something along the lines of 2. 3 if you can move the TV unit over closer to the fireplace so the left speaker is not so far from the listening position. 1 and 2 will be a bit awkward watching TV IMO, but 2 and 3 will be somewhat better for music.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry there's no basement, and the rest of the room is mostly large sliding glass doors, which is fantastic for letting in lots of natural light, but not so much for changing up the living room configuration! We wouldn't want to block off any of those.

View attachment 65749
I think that is the most unfriendly house for audio I have ever come across.

What I would do is buy three speakers and not a pair. Put the third to the right of the fireplace. Instal a switch between the two right speakers, and use the speakers either side of the TV for AV program and the two either side of the fireplace for music.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Why is the seating off center to the tv?
you have a wall that is completely inappropriate for any tv viewing.
You could have the speakers either side of the fireplace if it's a music focus setup. remove the tv entirely from this room before you place the speakers in position.

Having the speakers in a triangle to your listening position is the way to go. At least a equilateral distance at a minimum to each other. For home theater the recommendation is 30 degrees which is a bit wider.

You're not going to get any good feedback on your setup or proposal due to the carelessly designed wall.

N

nicoleise

Junior Audioholic
It's obvious that this is a dangerous question to ask enthusiasts, @LukeBrown :D

But reading your post, I note the following takeaways:
  • You're not overly enthusiastic about watching movies, surround sound and your TV viewing could be described as casual.
  • You'd like to be able to listen to mainly music with some quality of reproduction (i.e. not a soundbar), and realize that this room layout is not ideal for this, but also have other priorities, fx interior design, that are priorities over the consideration for best audio reproduction.
  • You don't like the TV to be the focal point of the room but rather the fireplace.
I appreciate the desire to tone down the TV. We are going to great extents to achieve the same (we don't want visible TVs when they are off). And thus I very much understand if reluctant to move the TV above the fireplace also, I've personally always felt that to look very awkward.

Now, if working within the confines of your post/takeaways above, I would suggest adjusting expectations. In this room and with this layout, I don't see a solution that works well for both watching TV and listening to music.

Stuff can be done to remedy that, for example adding a speaker as TLS guy suggests (it's a good suggestion, if you have the budget and the space/will to use three speakers), or even installing two separate systems. But considering you describe the TV viewing as it being fairly casual (to my understanding), you may be better of simply using the TVs speakers or (dare I say it) a sound bar. It's obviously not a very high end solution, but on the other hand if there's no real demand for such a solution, then why chase it?

With that, I'd suggest deciding that this is a music (only) system, as per your indicated preference. And in that sense, I'd completely ignore the TV and try to set the speakers up as symmetrical to the listening position and room as possible. In my opinion, this is your third solution. Maybe a bit on the wider side of setups, but on the other hand your floorplan seems to indicate a decent distance between the sofa and back wall, and in any case it seems to be the better option of what's available.

I would, however, suggest to rearrange the corner on the right side to allow the right speaker to be somewhat the same distance from the side wall as the left speaker. I realise there's a window there, but maybe stuff can be rearranged or even placed elsewhere in the home entirely.

Once you're done setting this up as a music system as ideal as you can get it in your room and with your layout, there's obviously nothing stopping you from hooking the TV up to the amp and seeing if you like the experience. I think it might be very awkward, but you can try. And essentially at that point decide if you'll use it for this purpose also, get a soundbar or just watch TV as you do now. But I'd design this system for stereo music exclusively.

I think with this approach, you can definitely get a good listening experience for music, rather than very compromised experiences when listening to the TV and music respectively.

And I would then suggest that - regardless of speakers chosen - that you maybe also consider either taller speakers or raising the speakers you choose if they're not floor standing. Ideally, you'd want the tweeter somewhat at ear level, and if you do happen to follow my advice of rearranging the corner, so that the speakers are essentially in each their own corner, then visually it's much less of a deal to have somewhat tall speakers. So there may be that benefit to it as well.

Also worth keeping in mind is that if you don't want a subwoofer (and I'm getting the vibe here that it may not be easy to work that into the design philosophy either), you'd want mains (L/R) that actually do a decent job without a subwoofer. So this worth making sure of this before you buy if I'm anticipating this restriction correctly.

Hope it helps you,
Nicolai

L

LukeBrown

Audiophyte
Hope it helps you,
Nicolai
Nicolai - that's amazing, thanks so much for taking the time to provide such a logical and detailed reply. I think you've hit the nail on the head with your suggestions.

We will forget about the TV for the time being and just try to find a decent set of floorstanding speakers that are suited to the sort of music we listen to, and they'll be placed into each corner of the room. That should give us a pretty nice setup for music, which is the main reason we're going down this path.

A secondry decision once it's all setup will then be testing it with the TV and deciding if we want to run the TV through the new speaker system, or maybe just get a seperate soundbar for it.

Thanks again, you really helped me to organise my thoughts on this :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis