Parts Express Orian 3-Way High Output Bookshelf Speaker Kit Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
cx3 pair16.jpg
Any audio enthusiast in North America who has ever flirted with the idea of building their own loudspeaker will know what Parts Express is. It is the leading supplier of components and DIY audio gear in North America. Audioholics has done a lot of reviews of Dayton Audio products, a brand owned by Parts Express, but we have only ever dealt with their finished systems. Today, we are going to get some grease on our elbows and attempt to tackle one of Parts Express’s DIY kits: the Orian 3-Way High Output Bookshelf Speaker. While we mostly deal with finished products, we have long been toying with the idea of reviewing an unfinished kit speaker. Audioholics noticed the Orian design in our coverage of the 2023 AXPONA, and we found the design so interesting that it has finally pushed us off the ledge into covering a DIY kit speaker. As its full name indicates, the Orian is a 3-way bookshelf speaker that promises lots of displacement. It’s a large standmount speaker that has a coaxial driver for the midrange and tweeter and a beefy 8” subwoofer driver for bass. The chamber for the midrange cone is open so that it has a partial dipole acoustic radiation pattern. What we find appealing about this design is that it should be a good full-range solution for near-field listening due to the coaxial driver and good as a typical stereo or home theater speaker due to the amount of air displacement it is seemingly capable of. How well does it accomplish this? That is what we intend to find out — assuming we don’t screw up the assembly process. Read our full review to learn what we found...

READ: Parts Express Orian 3-Way Bookshelf Speaker Kits Review

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Great job on the build. Was good to see a review on something other than yet another, 5" bookshelf speaker. It is also good to see a true full range assessment with 2 channel. I think the paint came out great.

I'm a huge fan of DIY and I think this is where we can break from designs that are otherwise overplayed with trying to satisfy everyone, and every listening setup for mass market appeal.

8" is a great all around monitor size IMO, especially for potent near field performance. I currently have a pair of 8", 3-way, JBL studio monitors on their sides, 4' apart, on stands on either side of my PC desk. I'm just 2' back from them and pointing at me. As an audience of mostly one, I could live with this setup forever, for music, movies and gaming, room be damned. Talk about mid bass slam. This is one way the poor man can get that effect rather cleanly while on a budget, other than trying to set up a whole room for it and while not irritating the neighbors so much.

I looked at this design when it came out but I have way too many speakers now, and a few pairs that kind of fit in that category.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Great to see a review on something other than the standard retail models. Nice job on your first build.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Any audio enthusiast in North America who has ever flirted with the idea of building their own loudspeaker will know what Parts Express is. It is the leading supplier of components and DIY audio gear in North America. Audioholics has done a lot of reviews of Dayton Audio products, a brand owned by Parts Express, but we have only ever dealt with their finished systems. Today, we are going to get some grease on our elbows and attempt to tackle one of Parts Express’s DIY kits: the Orian 3-Way High Output Bookshelf Speaker. While we mostly deal with finished products, we have long been toying with the idea of reviewing an unfinished kit speaker. Audioholics noticed the Orian design in our coverage of the 2023 AXPONA, and we found the design so interesting that it has finally pushed us off the ledge into covering a DIY kit speaker. As its full name indicates, the Orian is a 3-way bookshelf speaker that promises lots of displacement. It’s a large standmount speaker that has a coaxial driver for the midrange and tweeter and a beefy 8” subwoofer driver for bass. The chamber for the midrange cone is open so that it has a partial dipole acoustic radiation pattern. What we find appealing about this design is that it should be a good full-range solution for near-field listening due to the coaxial driver and good as a typical stereo or home theater speaker due to the amount of air displacement it is seemingly capable of. How well does it accomplish this? That is what we intend to find out — assuming we don’t screw up the assembly process. Read our full review to learn what we found...

READ: Parts Express Orian 3-Way Bookshelf Speaker Kits Review
Shady, that is one of the most interesting reviews you have done for some time. That kit is on special now for $538.00 and so an incredible value.

It makes me wonder if the designer has been following my posts here.

I have some comments. First the negative. I have looked at the data on those drivers, at least in a preliminary fashion. It am pretty sure that box is an extended bass alignment. I would have gone for a higher F3, and a smoother bass response. In the commercial world low F3 takes preference over bass quality. That is generally the wrong trade off.

The encouraging thing is that the cone of the midrange driver is covering the speech discrimination band. In the realm of HT that is a huge plus.

The tweeter response is a bit rocky. That tends to be a characteristic of coaxial drivers, because of cone reflections of the tweeter output. However, as you pointed out, they often end up sounding a lot better than you might expect. Getting a good tweeter response is a big challenge working with coaxial drivers.

So one question I have, is how does human speech sound, especially male speech?

I have looked at the specs of those drivers, and their parameters seem well chosen.

The midrange is low Qts, at 0.28, so if you don't like that rear radiation. you should be able to stuff that rear cavity with damping and close it.

The woofer looks particularly interesting and attractive. So I am going to doodle with that in the coming days.

I hope this is successful. Audio enthusiasts need to get more hands on, especially when it comes to speakers. As, from your reviews a lot of commercial designs leave a lot of room for improvement. I hope this will kick start members getting the DIY bug, and they will build speakers with a far better performance per dollar than they could otherwise get. They will have lot of fun doing it.

Lastly there are more choices in coaxial drivers in recent times. That is important because of the center speaker. Speakers designed round coaxial drivers really are the answer to the center speaker conundrum.

Time to get your feet wet and start designing and building guys. There are many here that could do better than most of what is on offer. Yes, it takes some learning and effort, but its worth it. Kits are likely a good way to start, as it gets you introduced to the building process.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Another kit available from Madisound. It looks interesting and is reported as having an overall better frequency response with a smoother high frequency, but selling at $1069.
One obvious criticism is that the crossover uses expensive capacitors which do not provide any better sound quality than the affordable polypropylene type:

Solen, the renowned inductor and capacitor manufacturer, also sells some interesting speaker kits. Most of them do not include the cabinets. Contrarily to the description, this one is in stock:

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I have looked at the specs of those drivers, and their parameters seem well chosen.

The midrange is low Qts, at 0.28, so if you don't like that rear radiation. you should be able to stuff that rear cavity with damping and close it.

nd effort, but its worth it. Kits are likely a good way to start, as it gets you introduced to the building process.
I would have thought a high-QTS driver would be more appropriate for a completely sealed variant on this design.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I would have thought a high-QTS driver would be more appropriate for a completely sealed variant on this design.
Not for a midrange driver in an open box. In a closed box the roll off slope will be steeper, which is what you want. In a bass closed box I agree, but for a midrange the less the box gets involved the better.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would say that human speech sounds very good. Male vocals might be a touch thick due to the slight rise in the bass driver's band but only mildly and certainly not enough to impair dialogue intelligibility.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I would say that human speech sounds very good. Male vocals might be a touch thick due to the slight rise in the bass driver's band but only mildly and certainly not enough to impair dialogue intelligibility.
That is what I guessed from your data. It looks as if this kit is well worth building and incredible value.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Not for a midrange driver in an open box. In a closed box the roll off slope will be steeper, which is what you want. In a bass closed box I agree, but for a midrange the less the box gets involved the better.
Interesting. But I think it would depend on the specific crossover being used.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Interesting. But I think it would depend on the specific crossover being used.
Absolutely it would. But a lower Qts driver might require a lower order crossover, especially of the box were sealed. But my point really was in bringing this up was that since this was a low Qts driver it would be acceptable to close the back of that speaker if you did not like the rear radiation, and I'm not sure I would. But any constructor could easily arrange to have it both ways. So I don't think you would get a peak before roll off if you closed the midrange compartment. I guess I should do a sealed model.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Shady, that is one of the most interesting reviews you have done for some time. That kit is on special now for $538.00 and so an incredible value.

It makes me wonder if the designer has been following my posts here.

I have some comments. First the negative. I have looked at the data on those drivers, at least in a preliminary fashion. It am pretty sure that box is an extended bass alignment. I would have gone for a higher F3, and a smoother bass response. In the commercial world low F3 takes preference over bass quality. That is generally the wrong trade off.

The encouraging thing is that the cone of the midrange driver is covering the speech discrimination band. In the realm of HT that is a huge plus.

The tweeter response is a bit rocky. That tends to be a characteristic of coaxial drivers, because of cone reflections of the tweeter output. However, as you pointed out, they often end up sounding a lot better than you might expect. Getting a good tweeter response is a big challenge working with coaxial drivers.

The woofer looks particularly interesting and attractive. So I am going to doodle with that in the coming days.

I hope this is successful. Audio enthusiasts need to get more hands on, especially when it comes to speakers. As, from your reviews a lot of commercial designs leave a lot of room for improvement. I hope this will kick start members getting the DIY bug, and they will build speakers with a far better performance per dollar than they could otherwise get. They will have lot of fun doing it.

Lastly there are more choices in coaxial drivers in recent times. That is important because of the center speaker. Speakers designed round coaxial drivers really are the answer to the center speaker conundrum.

Time to get your feet wet and start designing and building guys. There are many here that could do better than most of what is on offer. Yes, it takes some learning and effort, but its worth it. Kits are likely a good way to start, as it gets you introduced to the building process.
Musically speaking, people tend to underestimate how low 40-45hz is, which is really, IMO, the sweet spot of full range, 3-way designs in this size category, for music, at least. Especially with separate sub woofers being so well done now. It also tends to invite more efficiency of some higher sensitivity of at least high 80s-low 90s, which also makes the abundance of amplifiers below 100 watts a bit more practical and the designs a bit more stupid proof with regard to clipping/damage. Also opens the door for many more compatible drivers that don't have to be so tortured into shape via crossover.

Also, as with the overly lofty goals of the lowest bass on so many designs these days, I think the target of 20khz and beyond, as a top end goal, is a bit overstated as well and brings it's own problems. Oddly enough, my most enjoyable speakers tend to fizzle out somewhere after 12khz or so, with the response pretty solid (and flat enough) up to that point. Is why we hear so many reports of what amounts to glaringly 'bright' speakers, especially when coupled to today's, shiny, reflective and open living spaces.

H

HuenEye

Enthusiast
Dayton drivers are excellent and often sound better than far more expensive drivers. I buy Dayton not only for its price but for the specs which few other companies match. Most drivers aren't efficient enough for me and efficiency also increases dynamics.

BTW, it's not a DIPOLE it is a BIPOLE!! Most people confuse the terms but since most of the speakers I build are BIPOLES I think I know the difference. They are also commonly referred to as open baffle speakers. I hate putting mids and tweeters in cages which effect the quality of sound - and not for the better. You can disagree with me all you like but the proof is in the pudding or in this case - the sound.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Anyone he wants to build this would do well to buy it soon. On the site I found that they listed the wrong midrange driver. When I went to do a model I found there was not a coaxial driver. On further investigation I found that the mid/tweeter coaxial driver is now discontinued. So it seems that the remaining stock has been earmarked for that kit.
I also found out that the mid is actually a very high Qts driver, and that is why they did not close it up! Its Qts is 0.7.
So I think there is no point in me modelling those drivers.
This is unfortunate.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone he wants to build this would do well to buy it soon. On the site I found that they listed the wrong midrange driver. When I went to do a model I found there was not a coaxial driver. On further investigation I found that the mid/tweeter coaxial driver is now discontinued. So it seems that the remaining stock has been earmarked for that kit.
I also found out that the mid is actually a very high Qts driver, and that is why they did not close it up! Its Qts is 0.7.
So I think there is no point in me modelling those drivers.
This is unfortunate.
There has been some in-depth conversation over on ASR about this too. General agreement matches your assessment. While a good value, it has its flaws. Perhaps not fatal, but not to be overlooked, either.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Good video and review Gents.

@shadyJ => James, how about posting a REW analysis of these in the room where you have them? It would be interesting to see that data versus the outside info you previously posted.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis