Subwoofers comparison

D

David Hollowell

Audiophyte
How would 1 Arendal 1723 2v Subwoofer compare in peformance to 2 Monolith 13 inch Ultra THX subwoofers

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@shadyJ can possibly shed some hands on light here.
The answer to the question imo is that it wouldn’t compare. It’s a very good subwoofer indeed. But the monolith in question is also very very good. And with two, you have the added possibility of smoothing the FR a lot more. Now for a single seat that might not matter as much as but I don’t think one arendal vs two 13” monoprice THX is fair.
I haven’t looked at the measurement data for these lately, just going off memory so happy to be updated. Lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Since I looked 'em up....

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/arendal-1723

Looks like a pair of Monoliths for the win to me....especially for the price.
Man, even a single mono is better. There’s only two spots where the arendal has more output and it’s only by one db. The arendal has more distortion overall too. The one thing for some might be the app control. It looks very good. However if you’re a set it and forget type, then it might not matter.
Agreed. Pair of monoliths for the win.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The QC of the monolith amp plates would give me pause.
That is a point worth considering. I haven’t followed the owners thread on the other forum much, but seems like they’ve improved the CS.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to say exactly, but I have seen more than a few reports of it on the other forum in the owners thread. Monoprice's answer default response was sending the sub back for repairs instead of sending out another plate amp.
Haven't seen ... is avsforum the other forum? I have recently seen a report from a user saying Monoprice (at least for a Monolith sub) was good with the amp swapping these days....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This comes up from time to time. Monolith has also said, recently, that they will ship a replacement amp if they are available.
*shrugs
It’s hard to know what the truth is. Failures are always amplified…
Bad pun?
…whereas the happy customer will rarely say anything more.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This comes up from time to time. Monolith has also said, recently, that they will ship a replacement amp if they are available.
*shrugs
It’s hard to know what the truth is. Failures are always amplified…
Bad pun?
…whereas the happy customer will rarely say anything more.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!

D

David Hollowell

Audiophyte
@shadyJ can possibly shed some hands on light here.
The answer to the question imo is that it wouldn’t compare. It’s a very good subwoofer indeed. But the monolith in question is also very very good. And with two, you have the added possibility of smoothing the FR a lot more. Now for a single seat that might not matter as much as but I don’t think one arendal vs two 13” monoprice THX is fair.
I haven’t looked at the measurement data for these lately, just going off memory so happy to be updated. Lol
Hello, The reason I was asking that question is the Monolith 13" THX Subwoofer had been on sale for a couple of months but they were out of stock. Last week I got an email from Monoprice informing me they were bacl in stock and they would honor the price sale of 1,249 Dollars anf free shipping. If I would place the order the total price would have been 2,685.00 for 2 New Monolith 13 inch Ultra THX Subwoofers. I have just one problem, I ordered 1 Arendal 1723 2v Subwoofer. Earler this evening I posted that question about 2 Monoliths and I cand send the Arendal 1723 2v back. I have only had it one week. I can say that Arendal 1723 2v Subwoofer is unbelievable. I also got several replies from people and all of them said go with the Monolith 13". Monoprice was going to let me have the two 13" Suberwoofers for 1,249 a piece. Sorry to bother you ,
Merry Christmas

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello, The reason I was asking that question is the Monolith 13" THX Subwoofer had been on sale for a couple of months but they were out of stock. Last week I got an email from Monoprice informing me they were bacl in stock and they would honor the price sale of 1,249 Dollars anf free shipping. If I would place the order the total price would have been 2,685.00 for 2 New Monolith 13 inch Ultra THX Subwoofers. I have just one problem, I ordered 1 Arendal 1723 2v Subwoofer. Earler this evening I posted that question about 2 Monoliths and I cand send the Arendal 1723 2v back. I have only had it one week. I can say that Arendal 1723 2v Subwoofer is unbelievable. I also got several replies from people and all of them said go with the Monolith 13". Monoprice was going to let me have the two 13" Suberwoofers for 1,249 a piece. Sorry to bother you ,
Merry Christmas
No worries, you have a great sub and are smiling.....happy holidaze indeed!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Merry Christmas
Well in the end you still have a very nice subwoofer, and it sounds like you like it very much. Mission accomplished. I didn’t realize you already the arendal, and therefore I recommended the monoliths.
No bother at all!
Merry Christmas!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis