Subwoofer for large space with ambeo max

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Reverting back to the OP's original question,
The room dimensions are quite large, 6m x 5m with a 6m void ceiling. and his inquiry about obtaining a sub to suit the room and his bass requirements.

Really 6 x 5 is not a large space , and nothing that a large pair of floorstander speakers can't handle and provide all the volume required. Unless of cause your a mindless doof doof addict. But having said that, small bookshelves simply won't cut the mustard, and apart from the fact they won't produce any bass, then and only then is a sub required.
Really my advise would be to beg, borrow, or loan a pair of suitable sized floorstanders together with decent amplification [ forget the AVR most if not all is simply rubbish ] and you might be surprised to hear everything you need.

While not wishing to self promote myself my main room 7 x 6 contains two stereo systems and a basic H/T. Nothing warrants a subwoofer as all my floorstands with mono-bloc amplification, cover the full sound spectrum
Nice work of completely missing on OP's room height. I know that basic math is hard for some folks, so I've already converted these strange metric units into normal ones, and his room volume is over 6 thousand cubic feet.
AH page right here says that over 5k cu ft, for room size, is considered an extreme-sided room.

R

radiohifi

Audiophyte
We have Klipsch, SVS, REL, Denon, Accoustic energy, Monitor audio, Krix, Sonus, JBL, Bowers and Wilkins, Sonos, SpeakerCraft, JL, probably some others but that's all I can find off hand.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
We have Klipsch, SVS, REL, Denon, Accoustic energy, Monitor audio, Krix, Sonus, JBL, Bowers and Wilkins, Sonos, SpeakerCraft, JL, probably some others but that's all I can find off hand.
Ok that's some good options Im just waking up as soon as I get the brain fog off I'll jump back in with some ideas

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay so the only 2 options in that list Id go with are SVS and Klipsch. The new subwoofers from Klipsch have been reviewed here by Shady J and they measured quiet well and SVS are always top notch.

Normally Id recommend SVS over Klipsch but with their price increases I think your get much better performance for your buck with the new Klipsch line

Can you place the sub near field which means close to you like right behind your couch or right beside you? Or does it need to be setup by the TV?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Okay so the only 2 options in that list Id go with are SVS and Klipsch. The new subwoofers from Klipsch have been reviewed here by Shady J and they measured quiet well and SVS are always top notch.

Normally Id recommend SVS over Klipsch but with their price increases I think your get much better performance for your buck with the new Klipsch line

Can you place the sub near field which means close to you like right behind your couch or right beside you? Or does it need to be setup by the TV?
Agreed totally. I’ll add that in the US JL Home theater subs are very overpriced.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The op said that the ported SVS subs were too big and dual subs are not an option. 500mm wide by 450mm high by 450mm deep works out to 19.7" W 17.7" H 17.7" D. No sealed sub under that size is going to fill that space to theatre levels, so best one can hope for is improved lower bass but nothing earth shaking. The JL Audio D110 is 12x13.4x15.86 inches and about $1000 US (within the op's original budget). The SVS SB2000 Pro is $900 US but not sure how it compares price wise vs the JL Audio in Australia. I don't think an SB 1000 will be adequate but I have the SB 2000 Pro in my room and for moderate levels it works very well. Also has the SVS app for remote adjustment and EQ settings. Might offer better features and performance than the JL Audio for the same money. Not sure what would be comparable in the Klipsch line but avoid their budget subs which can be crap.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think we need some pricing and model numbers of available/acceptable gear from OP.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The op said that the ported SVS subs were too big and dual subs are not an option. 500mm wide by 450mm high by 450mm deep works out to 19.7" W 17.7" H 17.7" D. No sealed sub under that size is going to fill that space to theatre levels, so best one can hope for is improved lower bass but nothing earth shaking. The JL Audio D110 is 12x13.4x15.86 inches and about $1000 US (within the op's original budget). The SVS SB2000 Pro is $900 US but not sure how it compares price wise vs the JL Audio in Australia. I don't think an SB 1000 will be adequate but I have the SB 2000 Pro in my room and for moderate levels it works very well. Also has the SVS app for remote adjustment and EQ settings. Might offer better features and performance than the JL Audio for the same money. Not sure what would be comparable in the Klipsch line but avoid their budget subs which can be crap.
Since he has a decent budget but he has serious size constraints for the sub I'd say he should go with an AVS SB16 placing it nearfield and call it a day

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Since he has a decent budget but he has serious size constraints for the sub I'd say he should go with an AVS SB16 placing it nearfield and call it a day
Or a pc 2k pro on its side behind the couch! Hmmmmm… imo, there has to be room for at least one good sub. That’s a decent sized room. Maybe we can get some pics?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Ok. Have to know. What are these floorstanding speakers?
Magico M9

The system shown in my picture is worth something like 2.5 million. This display was taken at Munich in 2021

The newly introduced M7 is half the price of the M9.. Something like $350.000

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Probable a market leader would have to be Velodyne. These are made in Adelaide SA

W

Wuaysi

Audiophyte
Ok so I went somewhere today where they had the ambeo max paired with the seinheiser sub. The room was very similar to mine. The sub wasn’t anywhere near powerful enough. Then the sales dude set it up with a REL T/9x. This thing was fairly compact and shook the walls. I was fairly impressed with it given the form factor. Has anyone heard or can provide feedback on it?

or maybe go for the HT 1205 which would also fit my footprint? I haven’t heard that one yet though

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok so I went somewhere today where they had the ambeo max paired with the seinheiser sub. The room was very similar to mine. The sub wasn’t anywhere near powerful enough. Then the sales dude set it up with a REL T/9x. This thing was fairly compact and shook the walls. I was fairly impressed with it given the form factor. Has anyone heard or can provide feedback on it?

or maybe go for the HT 1205 which would also fit my footprint? I haven’t heard that one yet though
Here Rel is overpriced for their performance IMO, are they more reasonably priced there compared to the competition? What do they want for these two? The HT1510 was tested here and looks to be one of their better values here in the US https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/rel-ht-1510-sub. The T9i is a sub with a passive radiator, so more like a ported sub, but is only a 10" driver....I'd just want more in your room (maybe two of them).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Most of the modern world use the metric system, Not my problem if your living in the past.

Here you go "sunshine" https://www.metric-conversions.org/length/millimeters-to-inches.htm
I'm not sure if you are simply trolling me or being fatuous. As usual, you missed my point by a mile. I wasn't trying to educate you in unit conversion, which is rudimentary. I am just making a point if OP's room VOLUME, compared to AH Bass's room VOLUME rating guide, falls within the extreme size rating. This factual argument contradicts your false statement that OP's room isn't that big.

Last edited:
W

Wuaysi

Audiophyte
Here Rel is overpriced for their performance IMO, are they more reasonably priced there compared to the competition? What do they want for these two? The HT1510 was tested here and looks to be one of their better values here in the US https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/rel-ht-1510-sub. The T9i is a sub with a passive radiator, so more like a ported sub, but is only a 10" driver....I'd just want more in your room (maybe two of them).
Well I just figured out u can’t fit the 1510, it would have to be the 1205. Th 1205 is priced at approx 1600 whilst the T9 series is 2400.

the problem is no one has the HT on demo here

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I just figured out u can’t fit the 1510, it would have to be the 1205. Th 1205 is priced at approx 1600 whilst the T series is 2400
AUD 2400 for the t9i is about USD 1600 at current exchange....and USD $1300 with a quick glance here in the US. Just overpriced for what it is either way. The size constraint is limiting, tho....so sometimes you just need to find the best spec for the size you can allow.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis