Subwoofer for large space with ambeo max

W

Wuaysi

Audiophyte
Hello

after a lot of research and constraints, I’ve decided to install an ambeo max in my tv living room. The max sounds good and is mainly used to watch movies.

The room dimensions are quite large, 6m x 5m with a 6m void ceiling. I am after a sub to compliment the ambeo. Any recommendations ?

K

kini

Full Audioholic
It would be helpful to list your budget and what manufacturers are available in your area.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Ambeo has a subwoofer pre-out so you can use any brand stand-alone subwoofer. I read the manual and you set the subwoofer volume at 50%, turn the crossover frequency to maximum and then re-run the Ambeo calibration. That implies that the Ambeo does support bass management like an AVR.

Which brand depends on your budget and personal taste. While this is a large room that would normally require a large ported sub (two preferred), I don't think you need to go "all out" when pairing with a sound bar. If you have room for two subwoofers you can daisy chain them or use a Y-splitter to connect both. An RSL Speedwoofer 12S offers good performance for the dollar. Monolith has great performing subs with a utilitarian look in various sizes. If you want better aesthetics you can look at SVS or Arendal or Hsu (if in the U.S.). SVS and Arendal offer free returns.

W

Wuaysi

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. I’m in Australia. Happy to spend up to 3k AUD on it. I will check out those brands

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the replies. I’m in Australia. Happy to spend up to 3k AUD on it. I will check out those brands
From my napkin math, your room is over 6k cu ft, which is bigger than AH's Subwoofers Extreme room size ratings. With AU higher prices and your relatively humble budget don't leave you too many great options:
Here are a few options to consider:
SVS PB3000
Klipsch RP-1600SW Reference Premiere 16" 1600W
Earthquake - MKVII-15P

W

Wuaysi

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. I know this isn’t going to be the ideal home theatre setup, I settled in the end on something that is just going to sound better than my tv speaker lol. So at this point I’m just after a sub that I can hear and feel in such an awkward sized room for around the 3k mark. I’ll check out those brands too. The problem with where I live is it’s real difficult to find these units on display to hear them. The other thing is when I do find a place, they have it setup in the ideal room, and I’m real skeptical that it will sound nothing like that when I bring it home.. are there certain specs to look out for to add more certainty of how it will perform in my room?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Placing the sub nearfield in such a big room as yours will help out. Auditioning a sub in a showroom doesn't mean a lot compared to your own room (the room is a great influence on lower frequencies, via the transition or schroeder frequency). Choosing on spec and measurements works well for subs. At least it sounds like your soundbar can accommodate a different sub and may even have actual bass management.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Australia may have different return policies for SVS and Arendal. You will need to check with your local retailer.

3k would put the JL Audio d110 in your price range. If you can't find the SVS PB3000, you could get two PB1000 Pro and I see that some stores have the 1000 on sale. The PB3000 is on sale for $3320 at australiahihi.com.au. A little above your budget but more output than the PB1000. The 1000 will go deeper than the Ambeo (which has usable output down to 30Hz) but for a room that size you would likely need two, with the added advantage that two subs will smooth out the room modes. Most guys here would go with two PB3000 ;) but for pairing with a soundbar I think two PB1000 Pro could work well.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Australia may have different return policies for SVS and Arendal.
No Arendal stockists in OZ, as far as I know, SVS is also very sparse.

As for the OP's search for a sub, consider used check out Aussie Audio Mart There are bargains to be had,

https://www.aussieaudiomart.com/classifieds/3-speakers/

As for the link to Australian HiFi, keep well clear of that mob, They don't show an address, or a state location. They list a lot of low end
brands or show an "Out of Stock" or with he case of Electra, A made to order sign... There' only a few places that stock Electra, One is West Coast audio in Perth and Arthur [ the builder ] sell direct .

W

Wuaysi

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I can’t go the two sub option, it has to be one. The JL is a 10”, will that be big enough? The svs sb and pb3000 anre available here but too tall. I forgot to mention a space constraint of 500mm wide by 450mm high by 450mm deep. The Klipsch and earthquake suggestions are also too big and the rsl isn’t readily available in au

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The size constraint will make things a challenge and likely lead you to sealed subs as opposed to ported. Ported subs do better at the very low end and put less demands on the amplifier but if you have to go sealed due to size limitations, so be it. I went with a sealed SVS for size limitations but my room is small enough to have it perform adequately. @mono-bloc what do you think of the JL Audio d110 as an option?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I can’t go the two sub option, it has to be one. The JL is a 10”, will that be big enough? The svs sb and pb3000 anre available here but too tall. I forgot to mention a space constraint of 500mm wide by 450mm high by 450mm deep. The Klipsch and earthquake suggestions are also too big and the rsl isn’t readily available in au
This post right here is where you need to seriously adjust your expectations of what level of bass is possible within such contains. Small subs and big rooms don't usually produce lots of bass, and they do - they cost an arm and a leg.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
It will in terms of being able to hear the bass, feel the bass not so much unless it's very close to your listening position. I have a Polk 8" sub in a 2500 cubic foot room and it produces enough bass for me to easily hear even a low volumes but never enough to feel even at its max output.

If you're mainly looking for adding some low range to your Ambeo then the JL would be fine, just don't expect it to punch you in the chest or shake your seat.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hello

after a lot of research and constraints, I’ve decided to install an ambeo max in my tv living room. The max sounds good and is mainly used to watch movies.

The room dimensions are quite large, 6m x 5m with a 6m void ceiling. I am after a sub to compliment the ambeo. Any recommendations ?
Can you get Monoprice in Australia?

The Monoprice Monolith line is the only one where you can get maximum performance for a limited budget that I can think of

Their 13 inch sub is on sale

The other 2 options are the 16inch

And the M215

Those are the 3 I'd recommend for that room I'll send you links in a sec

R

radiohifi

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate the help on here. Unfortunately monoprice is not available in aus. I'm happy to increase the budget, if it will mean I will get a sub that I can actually feel. But absolutely nothing over the 5-6k mark. There's no point spending $3k on a sub that won't do much for this room.

Unfortunately monoprice is not available in AU

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Reverting back to the OP's original question,
The room dimensions are quite large, 6m x 5m with a 6m void ceiling. and his inquiry about obtaining a sub to suit the room and his bass requirements.

Really 6 x 5 is not a large space , and nothing that a large pair of floorstander speakers can't handle and provide all the volume required. Unless of cause your a mindless doof doof addict. But having said that, small bookshelves simply won't cut the mustard, and apart from the fact they won't produce any bass, then and only then is a sub required.
Really my advise would be to beg, borrow, or loan a pair of suitable sized floorstanders together with decent amplification [ forget the AVR most if not all is simply rubbish ] and you might be surprised to hear everything you need.

While not wishing to self promote myself my main room 7 x 6 contains two stereo systems and a basic H/T. Nothing warrants a subwoofer as all my floorstands with mono-bloc amplification, cover the full sound spectrum

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The room dimensions are quite large, 6m x 5m with a 6m void ceiling. and his inquiry about obtaining a sub to suit the room and his bass requirements.

Really 6 x 5 is not a large space , and nothing that a large pair of floorstander speakers can't handle and provide all the volume required. Unless of cause your a mindless doof doof addict. But having said that, small bookshelves simply won't cut the mustard, and apart from the fact they won't produce any bass, then and only then is a sub required.
Really my advise would be to beg, borrow, or loan a pair of suitable sized floorstanders together with decent amplification [ forget the AVR most if not all is simply rubbish ] and you might be surprised to hear everything you need.

While not wishing to self promote myself my main room 7 x 6 contains two stereo systems and a basic H/T. Nothing warrants a subwoofer as all my floorstands with mono-bloc amplification, cover the full sound spectrum
OP is already putting an ambeo max in that room that's why he needs the sub

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

He could always get something smaller like a RSL 12s and use it near field he doesn't have to buy a monster sub to try and fill that whole room I'd imagine

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate the help on here. Unfortunately monoprice is not available in aus. I'm happy to increase the budget, if it will mean I will get a sub that I can actually feel. But absolutely nothing over the 5-6k mark. There's no point spending $3k on a sub that won't do much for this room.

Unfortunately monoprice is not available in AU
Hey what sub brands are available their? That would really help us to give you the best recommendations

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Ok. Have to know. What are these floorstanding speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis