How to hook up receiver with speaker line level only to subwoofer with No line level inputs?

J

JackD68

Enthusiast
I'm looking at setting up my daughter with a little home theater system I have an Onkyo receiver, That has only speaker line level output for the subwoofer but the used speakers I'm planning on (Klipsch Reference Theater Pack) the subwoofer does not have line level inputs so I'm not sure how I would hook that up maybe with some kind of adapter or something, please advise How I could hook this up properly. thanks
I included a picture of receiver back panel

20230525_113600.jpg

J

JackD68

Enthusiast
Thanks ,I saw those when I searched but I wasn't sure if that was exactly what I needed .
Yes the subwoofer has your basic things Gain, low pass, auto on, phase, Input but not line level input

J

JackD68

Enthusiast
The receiver is 105 watts a channel peek so I assume I would need a converter that would handle that

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The receiver is 105 watts a channel peek so I assume I would need a converter that would handle that
Yes, and unfortunately most of those listed are for car audio and rated at only 50W. Should work the same whether for car or home as they are passive devices but 50W may be a little low. Mind you, most people only use 10W to 20W for regular listening so the odds are the device would not see sustained output over 50W. The highest rated I saw was the TSK at 80W which would probably suffice. Would need to do some more searches to find a better quality device with higher input capacity.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just a note, your sub probably does have line level inputs, altho for a sub you generally wouldn't use a (fixed) line out (like your receiver's dvr line out) but rather a pre-out so that volume can be adjusted. With a speaker level to line level converter like the Russound on that linked page (it says it can handle up to 500w) it should work okay...and your avr has a subwoofer level to adjust/match the speakers with.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't look at the Russound because it is a bolt on car adapter but at least it has high enough wattage resisters to handle the power. Could be mounted to the back of the subwoofer if out of sight or installed in a plastic box.

J

JackD68

Enthusiast
I didn't look at the Russound because it is a bolt on car adapter but at least it has high enough wattage resisters to handle the power. Could be mounted to the back of the subwoofer if out of sight or installed in a plastic box.
So , I did order a Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker-level to Line-level Adapter and a little plastic Electrical Box , Speaker wire and cables , I think that will do the job.

Thank you everyone for your input I really appreciate it

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So , I did order a Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker-level to Line-level Adapter and a little plastic Electrical Box , Speaker wire and cables , I think that will do the job.

Thank you everyone for your input I really appreciate it
I would not bank on it. Those small resistors will heat up pretty fast if you push the power. I'm very skeptical of that approach, but it is your only option.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I would not bank on it. Those small resistors will heat up pretty fast if you push the power. I'm very skeptical of that approach, but it is you only option.
Yes, I had a look again and you can actually see the print on the circuit board. 1/2W and 1W resistors. Hopefully 3.9k ohm resistance is enough to keep the power draw small. The TSK unit has 5W cement resistors but also uses inductors as isolators, so I'm not sure how appropriate that would be for subwoofer use. Says 20Hz to 35kHz but who knows how badly that circuitry would mangle the signal.

J

JackD68

Enthusiast
I would not bank on it. Those small resistors will heat up pretty fast if you push the power. I'm very skeptical of that approach, but it is you only option.
If you have something in mind to recommend that might work better for what I'm trying to do I'm all ears

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If you have something in mind to recommend that might work better for what I'm trying to do I'm all ears
That is the problem, I don't. Ideally you need a receiver with line level preouts, or a sub with speaker level inputs. The first option is the best.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A third option would be to find a passive sub as the avr was originally meant to work with....

J

JackD68

Enthusiast
A third option would be to find a passive sub as the avr was originally meant to work with....
Oh yeah I have two options , I have a passive sub That came with the receiver. 6 1/2 inch , pic
The sub that comes with open box six speaker system I bought is a 8 inch I wanted to try that out see how it works out, I will test both of them out and see how they work out , in the end I will have one subwoofer I have no use for.
This is not going to be a great system but I know my daughter's going to like it a whole lot better than her TV speakers

20230526_171314.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yeah I have two options , I have a passive sub That came with the receiver. 6 1/2 inch , pic
The sub that comes with open box six speaker system I bought is a 8 inch I wanted to try that out see how it works out, I will test both of them out and see how they work out , in the end I will have one subwoofer I have no use for.
This is not going to be a great system but I know my daughter's going to like it a whole lot better than her TV speakers

View attachment 62128
Well, more bass modules than true subs, but at least an 8" driver has a better shot at it. Might be easier to integrate the Onkyo, tho, especially if your daughter doesn't really have a point of comparison :)

J

JackD68

Enthusiast
Neither one of the subs or anything great these are the specs for the Klipsch I can't find any real specs for the Onkyo SKW-395
One difference is all the Klipsch speakers , Front ,surround, and center are 8 ohms the Onkyo sub is 6 ohms

SUBWOOFER
FREQUENCY RESPONSE38Hz – 120Hz +/– 3dB
AMPLIFIER POWER50 watts / 150 watts peak
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT108 dB
INPUTS2.4 GHz CD-quality wireless & Line level / LFE RCA jacks
ENCLOSURE MATERIALMDF
ENCLOSURE TYPEBass Reflex via down-firing 8” woofer and port
DIMENSIONS13.25” H (33.7cm) x 11.75” W (29.9cm) x 11.75” D (29.9cm)
FINISHBrushed Black Polymer Veneer
WEIGHT15.0 Ibs (6.8kg)

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Neither one of the subs or anything great these are the specs for the Klipsch I can't find any real specs for the Onkyo SKW-395
One difference is all the Klipsch speakers , Front ,surround, and center are 8 ohms the Onkyo sub is 6 ohms

SUBWOOFER
FREQUENCY RESPONSE38Hz – 120Hz +/– 3dB
AMPLIFIER POWER50 watts / 150 watts peak
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT108 dB
INPUTS2.4 GHz CD-quality wireless & Line level / LFE RCA jacks
ENCLOSURE MATERIALMDF
ENCLOSURE TYPEBass Reflex via down-firing 8” woofer and port
DIMENSIONS13.25” H (33.7cm) x 11.75” W (29.9cm) x 11.75” D (29.9cm)
FINISHBrushed Black Polymer Veneer
WEIGHT15.0 Ibs (6.8kg)
They’re both very weak. I would just use the Onkyo “sub” and be done since it’s easier. They are more similar than different, and until she experiences a real subwoofer, she probably won’t care. The system will most definitely be better than the tv speakers. By a long ways, and will definitely introduce her into the next level.

Btw. Congratulations on introducing her to something better. It’s good to see someone planting seeds. Too many phones serving as theaters these days.

J

JackD68

Enthusiast
They’re both very weak. I would just use the Onkyo “sub” and be done since it’s easier. They are more similar than different, and until she experiences a real subwoofer, she probably won’t care. The system will most definitely be better than the tv speakers. By a long ways, and will definitely introduce her into the next level.

Btw. Congratulations on introducing her to something better. It’s good to see someone planting seeds. Too many phones serving as theaters these days.
Thanks
My daughter's really not the kind of person to spend money on this type of thing but she really don't know what she's missing and then it's a little bit too complicated for my son in law:D
Yeah it's just unbelievable to me that someone would watch a movie or TV show on a cell phone

J

JackD68

Enthusiast
Update
Finally got everything together and tested it out With the Speaker-level to Line-level Adapter, works great, Just have to mount the Adapter in the little junction box I bought
20230603_172507.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis